Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

inconsistent acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inconsistent acceleration

Like the title says, do you guys find the acceleration inconsistent in this car? One day the car will run like a monster and the next day its running like a kia. I'm embarrassed to say this but, I actually lost a race to a mazda 6 today. It feels like my car is not boosting. I've been experiencing this inconsistency for a while now. I'm starting to wish I never traded in my STI.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a boost gauge? If you don't get one and see what boost are you getting when it feels like a monster, and if it's lower when if feels like a kia. Boost gauges should come stock from the factory.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Unless temperatures are jumping from 100 to 20 degrees in one day, I'd say you have a problem.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and to top it all off, when I hit a bump, just my left speakers go out. It's annoying as hell.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Do you have a boost gauge? If you don't get one and see what boost are you getting when it feels like a monster, and if it's lower when if feels like a kia. Boost gauges should come stock from the factory.
Really? I was unaware they came stock from the factory. Where do they have the gauge placed?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he meant that they should come stock from the factory. they don't. i miss not having a boost gauge but you get used to knowing how hard you're boosting without the visual aide.

sounds like you have an issue considering you came from an sti and aren't new to boosting.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
he meant that they should come stock from the factory. they don't. i miss not having a boost gauge but you get used to knowing how hard you're boosting without the visual aide.

sounds like you have an issue considering you came from an sti and aren't new to boosting.
No I'm not new to boost. I've actually had two STI's and never experienced anything like this. My car is stock too, so I find a boost leak hard to imagine...right?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

There is a boost gauge with the sport meter option. It's read in bar though so it's not especially usefull. One of the first mods you should do is to get a boost gauge, simple or not it will always help. Sounds like you have a simple boost leak (which sti have as well) which in most cases is an easy fix.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

not that this is really relevant to evos but srt-4 usually had considerable boost leaks from the factory.

it's an easy fix compared to what else it could be.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026

Yes that's what I meant... I have a similar problem with my car (evo IX) sometimes i would hit 17psi, and some other times I would only hit 15psi, I am in the process of getting tuned with Mellon so only at the end I will see if getting tuned fixes the boost inconsistansy.
I would say try to reset the car by disconecting the (-) terminal for a few minutes, and then see if it feels like a monster again, you could also take it to the dealer for warranty. Hope you get it fixed.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I had this same situation happen to me. Fabbed up a boost leak tester. That didn't help so I just went ahead and bought the lower/upper pipes that I was planning to do anyway and....no more boost leak.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

does disconnecting really reset the ecu? what info would be lost by doing that? reflashes etc. i would imagine that would be saved info that would have to be manually removed.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Yes that's what I meant... I have a similar problem with my car (evo IX) sometimes i would hit 17psi, and some other times I would only hit 15psi, I am in the process of getting tuned with Mellon so only at the end I will see if getting tuned fixes the boost inconsistansy.
I would say try to reset the car by disconecting the (-) terminal for a few minutes, and then see if it feels like a monster again, you could also take it to the dealer for warranty. Hope you get it fixed.
Stock boost for your car is 20psi so you definately have a problem. I'm not sure if disconecting the batt will help, if so it will only be a temporary fix.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Bad gas? Try getting some elsewhere for a couple of weeks. +1 on the boost gauge.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:25 AM

if you can reproduce the acel/speaker going out I say rape the warranty

Quick Reply: inconsistent acceleration