Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Edmunds: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR vs. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Edmunds: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR vs. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

Hope it's not a repost!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X FTW!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
the car is already heavy so why would they test drive a mr with the sound system making it heavier. o'well it won anyway
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jayevo23
the car is already heavy so why would they test drive a mr with the sound system making it heavier. o'well it won anyway
Because the MR is closer in price and equipment level than a GSR when compared to the G8 GXP.

To the OP thanks for posting that review. I was actually entertaining buying a G8 GXP before they came out but shyed away from it when a friend helped me realize that I'd pay $40K for it and in a couple of years the car would have no resale value. At least not what I would be willing to lose on a car that cost $40K.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by t51splbb
Because the MR is closer in price and equipment level than a GSR when compared to the G8 GXP.

To the OP thanks for posting that review. I was actually entertaining buying a G8 GXP before they came out but shyed away from it when a friend helped me realize that I'd pay $40K for it and in a couple of years the car would have no resale value. At least not what I would be willing to lose on a car that cost $40K.

Is there any other straight line beast for 40k? The acceleration numbers are somewhat close to an STI's, STI vs G8 GXP woulda been a better match I think.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

(4,049 pounds for the GXP and 3,658 pounds for the Evo MR),
Wow that gxp ways over 2 tons.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

i feel like most people buy an evo for the all wheel drive. The g8 is american muscle, rwd v8. These cars are in two totally different categories IMO.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by accrane
i feel like most people buy an evo for the all wheel drive. The g8 is american muscle, rwd v8. These cars are in two totally different categories IMO.
To amplify further with this point, to which I totally agree, this car is just a cheap attempt by GM to become competitive with other car companys. Their thinking goes like this: Let's make an inexpensive car we already produce, put a power plant in there that is similar to say the X so that, in a straight line, we can be faster, yeilding our PR or marketing gimmick and then put the same price tag on it. Well guess what? This type of reasoning is why GM and the other US car companys' are in their current fix. The X was designed with many, many years of rally racing under its belt yeilding one of the best handling cars bar none. Does GM have similar experience and history? No. So to even test those two vehicles together or even suggest they should be from a performance point of view is rediculous. An analogous comparo would be that between a Volkswagon to a Hummer assuming they priced out the same.
But now sitting back after venting, it just dawned on me that this is the way to sell cars; I just did not realize it until now.

Later, Ken
AMS Intake&Exhaust
Iveytune (322 all around; Dynojet)
Robispec K&W
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

^^GM dosnt have a racing experience/history like Mistisubishi ?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch

Is there any other straight line beast for 40k? The acceleration numbers are somewhat close to an STI's, STI vs G8 GXP woulda been a better match I think.
No need to. The STI was already in a comparo test against a Shebly GT and it whooped the Living crap out of the snake also.

Good, an STI crapping all over a Shelby GT and now our star the Evo owning the G8 GXP. Muscle cars what?

Links:

2007 Ford Shelby GT vs 2008 Subaru WRX STI
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=123965

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP vs 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X MR
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=137186

^ My new siggie
Old Dec 8, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matt55
^^GM dosnt have a racing experience/history like Mistisubishi ?
In ovals, yes; for off road, rally racing, no. And yes, I am not considering Baja enduro races but if you want to add that then we need to look to the DaKar Race as well.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by KPerez
In ovals, yes; for off road, rally racing, no. And yes, I am not considering Baja enduro races but if you want to add that then we need to look to the DaKar Race as well.

Later, Ken
They have lots of road racing experience in the Trans Am series of SCCA...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

I only ask why, why write an article such as this. there are a million and one show downs people would really want to see. putting these cars even side by side is .... is.. i dont even know what to call it.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grant
They have lots of road racing experience in the Trans Am series of SCCA...
Rather than get into a discussion of imports vs domestics, I shall leave you with this: If GM produced the G8 as competitor against the EVO X, then they failed miserably in the road performance catagory as documented by Edmunds.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:00 AM

Yes, GM has no pedigree in motor-sport. Those 2 C6 Vettes in GT 1 ALMS are not real race cars like the ones that drive on dirt and snow I actually saw one of those pass a n LMP2 car in a turn last year.

I don't think this "win" is quite as decisive as the supposed win over the Mustang. The GXP is faster to 60 in the 1/4 and probably pushes it's edge further at higher speeds. Of course it's a touring car with a gigantic backseat and trunk so it wont handle as well. The G8 was produced to compete against the charger, but aim high for the 550 also.

Don't get me wrong , I chose the X after test driving a G8 GT, and love the car, but that GXP is a lot of car for what will be less than 40K

Quick Reply: Edmunds: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR vs. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP