Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anybody have major problems with Ecutek?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have major problems with Ecutek?

Has anybody had any major problems with Ecutek software and tunes?
Does anybody dislike Ecutek and why?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Ecutek works well from all accounts, but the only problem I have with it is that you don't own anything if you aren't the licensed tuner.

What if you want to flash back to stock....nope, can't unless you drive back to the guy who made the tune. You supposedly own the original code, but don't get to keep it. What if your tuner goes out of business or moves far away?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
hm, only complain i ever heard is the price...
Vs the cheaper tunes which sometimes leads to a fried Ecu's and other problems. So i stick with Ecuteck with a Pro tune.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

My only complaint i have with ECUtek is you dont get anything for it. You just give the money away and you dont get anything. I opted to go with the cobb, and that way i at least haver a great dat alogging tool and a way to go abck to stock in case something terrible happens. Just a way to recoup some money at least.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike100
Ecutek works well from all accounts, but the only problem I have with it is that you don't own anything if you aren't the licensed tuner.

What if you want to flash back to stock....nope, can't unless you drive back to the guy who made the tune. You supposedly own the original code, but don't get to keep it. What if your tuner goes out of business or moves far away?
That is not true. Any tuner that uses EcuTek can put a stock rom back in your car for you. Once the car has been flashed with EcuTek's tools, the license stays in the ECU so you can go to any tuner you want that uses EcuTek and they can re-tune, flash to stock whatever. If for some reason your flash got overwritten by a dealer for example, you would need to contact your original tuner and have them request a replacement license. The reason you need to contact your original tuner is so they can verify (via the flashcan log files) that your ecu was infact flashed at one point.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qu evox
My only complaint i have with ECUtek is you dont get anything for it. You just give the money away and you dont get anything. I opted to go with the cobb, and that way i at least haver a great dat alogging tool and a way to go abck to stock in case something terrible happens. Just a way to recoup some money at least.

"My only complaint i have with ECUtek is you dont get anything for it. You just give the money away and you dont get anything."

This is one example of the internet well educated opinions.
Very knowledgeable and for sure based on personal experience.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 7, 2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ agreed, you give money, nothing in return , not even 70hp???, btw how do you like your ivey tune, i plan on using him at the end on the month.

Last edited by svt1.8t; Feb 7, 2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by svt1.8t
^^^ agreed, you give money, nothing in return , not even 70hp???, btw how do you like your ivey tune, i plan on using him at the end on the month.
he never disappointing me .
I would recommend him. I'm a picky guy at least, when it comes to my car. I wouldn't let touch my car anybody even if they pay for it , if i wouldn't be 100% sure he is a right one for the job.
And i do willing to travel 5 hours or more for something to be done, if nobody is good enough for me in my area.
And for that i have proof too.
I do a same with vendors. Local, doesnt mean anything to me, when comes to my car. I pick vendors to buy stuff with a care.

I have passion for my car.

Rob
Old Feb 7, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

He tuned my friends supra and had great results, i've heard nothing but good things so far. i am the same way, i will travel to the best for my car.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
WAM
Evolving Member

Ecutek didn't work on my car...something about the load data not being captured. But apparently this is the first time the tuner had ever had that problem and he's researching it. If he figures it out, we'll try again.

Don't fully understand the license thing. He tried to collect $300 for it because he "can't take it off". But I wasn't having any of that because it's of no value to me especially if it doesn't work. But is this license something the dealer could see if he read my ECU?
Old Feb 7, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

If the Ecutek license stays in the car's ECU, does that mean when the dealer taps into our ecu even after I've returned the software to stock, they can see that the car has been tuned before?
Old Feb 11, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Sry to bring this back to the top of the list but just in case anybody with Ecutek missed this question.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what software you use, your results will only be as good as the tuner is. All things being equal, Ecutek is the by far the most bug free, stable, all encompassing software on the market right now, period. Also as mad viii said, the rumors about being screwed if your tuner moves and having to pay for ecutek all over again at a new shop is BS, so you need not worry about that. As far as ecuflash is concerned, until datalogging software like evoscan and mitsulogger are available for the X, it's impossible to know what the car is doing, as you are basically "guess tuning" and I wouldn't even consider having my car tuned like that. My advice: Go find yourself a good tuner with experience tuning evos, imparticular the X, have your car flashed with ecutek and call it a day... a CEL free day at that!

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Feb 12, 2009 at 03:10 PM.