Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're still looking into this, I highly recommended Raamat: http://www.raamaudio.com/

I have an extensive background in car audio and, imho, Rick's product is the best deal out there. You'll save a TON of money over Dynamat, and he's a true hobbyist who sells what he uses himself.

Pick up some Ensolite to go along with it, and it'll be a great improvement. (It's what's going in my '09 Mazdaspeed3 as soon as I get some decent weather to apply it/strip my interior out.)

-Ben
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:09 AM

acutally, this is the stuff that I used. I forgot that I ordered my supplies from 2 different places. Raamat is great. Cheaper than dynmat and performs just as well. I put almost 2 full rolls in my car.

I got the other stuff from second skin audio.

Originally Posted by DSP-S13
If you're still looking into this, I highly recommended Raamat: http://www.raamaudio.com/

I have an extensive background in car audio and, imho, Rick's product is the best deal out there. You'll save a TON of money over Dynamat, and he's a true hobbyist who sells what he uses himself.

Pick up some Ensolite to go along with it, and it'll be a great improvement. (It's what's going in my '09 Mazdaspeed3 as soon as I get some decent weather to apply it/strip my interior out.)

-Ben
Old Mar 13, 2009, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Bet that was alot of work.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Violat0rX
acutally, this is the stuff that I used. I forgot that I ordered my supplies from 2 different places. Raamat is great. Cheaper than dynmat and performs just as well. I put almost 2 full rolls in my car.

I got the other stuff from second skin audio.
Was it a big difference? I don't want to do all that work have it not reduce the noise level hardly at all, lol.

:EDIT: Nevermind, didn't pay attention that you're the same guy on the first page, lol.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

I'm getting Dynamat laid down on Tuesday. You can buy the bulk pack for $150. I don't know how much cheaper the other stuff is, but given the labor-intensiveness of the install, I'd rather not risk getting the best rest result just to save a few bucks.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

There's a lot of debate in teh world about dynamat vs fatmat. Fatmat is asphalt based, whereas dynamat is not. I just got done installing a bunch of fatmat in my 95 tacoma, and while it helped, I won't be able to tell the full difference until I get the doors done. I ripped out the floor and installed the fatmat with new carpet. It's a little quieter, but there's so much noise from the doors.... I'm planning to rip out the speakers, and install some new stuff, so eventually this will get done.

fatmat is great stuff, but my truck stank like a new road for about 2 weeks.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:18 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a MR stripped? I wanna see where the factory sound damping is located, because that is where i will put it, not lay it all over the entire cabin, which is a waste!
Old Mar 13, 2009, 01:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLK
Does anyone have a MR stripped? I wanna see where the factory sound damping is located, because that is where i will put it, not lay it all over the entire cabin, which is a waste!
This is a great thought. Why put the sound deadening all over the place if you can strategically place it in a few places and get the desired result?

Has anyone driven a GSR and MR and can comment on how much quieter the MR is over the GSR?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 08:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One other thing to consider to reduce road noise. Change the tires. The stock Advan tires are very noisy. Changing to a different tire could reduce the noise considerably.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 09:15 PM

I believe the MR is not that noisey.... It's a lot quieter then my IX thats for damn sure. Then again the MR is a 6 speed... and the shifting is so fast that you dont hear the egine whine in between the revs... my MR is very quiet.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FLK
Originally Posted by adambl03
This is a great thought. Why put the sound deadening all over the place if you can strategically place it in a few places and get the desired result?

Has anyone driven a GSR and MR and can comment on how much quieter the MR is over the GSR?
+1 I've been wanting to know this too. The first Evo X I drove was an MR and that thing seemed super quiet; I could barely hear the exhaust. But that was back in July. I would expect that if the engineers were going to add another 11lbs. to the MR that it must be doing something.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by itsoem
I believe the MR is not that noisey.... It's a lot quieter then my IX thats for damn sure. Then again the MR is a 6 speed... and the shifting is so fast that you dont hear the egine whine in between the revs... my MR is very quiet.
Haha...yeah. I took out a Evo X GSR for a test drive a couple weeks ago, and the first thing I noticed was how quiet it was. I was like, "wow is this really an Evo?"
I can't believe that people complain about the road noise. Personally I really like the extra noise to feel like I am in a fast car.

That being said, If you want the best results, go with the best stuff. If you want the cheapest results, go with the cheapest stuff.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

The MR has more sound deading applied to it then the GSR. if you have access to the manuals you can find this in pdf "gr00000800-1.pdf on page 1-25. On average, it looks like the MR has twice the amount of MD-12 sound deading material applied to it than the GSR.

So to folks who are wondering if the MR is quieter... yup, it is =)
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flagg77
if you have access to the manuals you can find this in pdf "gr00000800-1.pdf on page 1-25.
Thanks!

Name:  silencer_app_locations.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  137.7 KB
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TearItUpSports
That being said, If you want the best results, go with the best stuff. If you want the cheapest results, go with the cheapest stuff.
While this is generally a great philosophy, with sound deadening material, there are a lot of arguments that dynamat isn't the best performer for the money. There are a lot of products out there that are lighter and produce better results than dynamat. Some are asphalt based, while others are plastic/rubber based.

Quick Reply: Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise...