Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AYC OIL Change

Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AYC OIL Change

Anyone here changed your AYC ATF SPIII oil??? on your EVO X SST (MR)

I had done mine..

I thought it was a simple procedure.. simply replace the ATF SPIII Bottle of oil in the car boot and the AYC axle at the rear..... I was wrong!!!

My mechanic did a bit more...

He full bleed the ayc... meaning no air inside the AYC PUMP!!! Is this correct??

The process needs two person..
The car is hoisted up with wheel running free in the air...
One person inside the car start engine and put to D (SST) and accelerate to 25km.. and turn steeling wheel to left and right full 2 1/2 turn.. for about 6 times.. the other person underneath the car bleeding the air from the bleeding nipple of the AYC hydralic tubing...

The whole process is just like bleeding air from Brake hoses..... after you flush out all the DOT 4 fluid from your brake...

Are you guys doing the same thing?? Please advise.

Last edited by sweetapple4u; Feb 26, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds similar to bleeding a power steering system.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:22 AM

So did your mechanic do this on EVO X?

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
Sounds similar to bleeding a power steering system.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Man now I have to pay someone to change the fluid in the ayc f***.That sucks.I wanted to do that myself.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:18 PM

Yes, initially, I wannted to DIY... but without proper tool, I decided to leave it to my mechanic.. thank goodness i leave it to him.. I didn't know this procedure at all...

One more thing, my ATF SPIII oil reservoir in the car boot, the oil level in the morning is at minimum marking, when I start my engine and warm up the car, I can see the oil actually raising to maximum mark... real time!! Is this normal??

Originally Posted by matias04374
Man now I have to pay someone to change the fluid in the ayc f***.That sucks.I wanted to do that myself.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:37 PM

Actually the way your mechanic did it wasn't the official way, but wasn't wrong either. Its kinda like the "do it at home garage" way.

On my IV in japan, the Mitsu mechanic actually only need 1 person. Lifted the car, hooked a computer up to the AYC controller somehow, and just bleed the nipple on the AYC unit. Then test drove it with the MUT-II (i think that's what its called) to make sure it worked properly.

But the IV didn't have the X all wheel control system either...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:48 PM

So you mean the AYC controller will simulate the AYC pumping action and the mechanic can bleeding the air out without another person in the car... cool!!!!

Some how, my mechanic owns a normal workshop.. not dealer, so I guess without AYC controller... he has to do it the DO IT AT HOME way..

Thanks bro, good information. I didn't know there is an AYC Controller!!

Originally Posted by JdmEvo's
Actually the way your mechanic did it wasn't the official way, but wasn't wrong either. Its kinda like the "do it at home garage" way.

On my IV in japan, the Mitsu mechanic actually only need 1 person. Lifted the car, hooked a computer up to the AYC controller somehow, and just bleed the nipple on the AYC unit. Then test drove it with the MUT-II (i think that's what its called) to make sure it worked properly.

But the IV didn't have the X all wheel control system either...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:22 PM

Actually the way your mechanic did it, it will work. Its not wrong by any means, I would have done it that way also, but I was lucky enough to find a Mitsu mechanic that actually knows evo. And of course this was in Japan where AYC have been around since 1996.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks. One more question, I noticed that my SPIII oil in the reservoir (in the car boot) in the morning is at min mark and when the car warmed up the oil goes to max mark.. is this normal ??? on EVO X?

Originally Posted by JdmEvo's
Actually the way your mechanic did it, it will work. Its not wrong by any means, I would have done it that way also, but I was lucky enough to find a Mitsu mechanic that actually knows evo. And of course this was in Japan where AYC have been around since 1996.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sweetapple4u
Thanks. One more question, I noticed that my SPIII oil in the reservoir (in the car boot) in the morning is at min mark and when the car warmed up the oil goes to max mark.. is this normal ??? on EVO X?
Fluids once heated expand. Simply chemistry & physics. Perfectly normal.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:05 AM

Thanks. I don't remember seeing it going up and down... maybe I am just paranoid..

So you mean your EVO X SPIII fluid reservoir is also like mine??

Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone here changed your AYC ATF SPIII oil??? on your EVO X SST (MR)

I had done mine..

I thought it was a simple procedure.. simply replace the ATF SPIII Bottle of oil in the car boot and the AYC axle at the rear..... I was wrong!!!

My mechanic did a bit more...

He full bleed the ayc... meaning no air inside the AYC PUMP!!! Is this correct??

The process needs two person..
The car is hoisted up with wheel running free in the air...
One person inside the car start engine and put to D (SST) and accelerate to 25km.. and turn steeling wheel to left and right full 2 1/2 turn.. for about 6 times.. the other person underneath the car bleeding the air from the bleeding nipple of the AYC hydralic tubing...

The whole process is just like bleeding air from Brake hoses..... after you flush out all the DOT 4 fluid from your brake...

Are you guys doing the same thing?? Please advise.

Which oil did you change ??

The ACD/AYC pump fluid or the AYC rear ATF fluid ??

I ran the pump fluid until I sold my car around 5.5years .. never had any problems .. you don't need to change that .. change the mechanic

If you're talking about the ATF fluid for the clutch bath ..
Then you better change mechanic
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:39 PM

AYC/ACD Pump fluid and rear ATF

Both the ACD/AYC and rear fluid belongs to the same ATF SPIII

What is a clutch bath? Mine is a MR (SST). I am not changing that oil... moreover, that oil is SSTF-1 not SPIII..

Thanks for your crude advice.. change mechanic.. !!! But this mechanic do have many followers since evo 789 days.. morever evo 9 AWC is almost identical to EVO X... what makes you think I should change mechanic??

Originally Posted by gunzo
Which oil did you change ??

The ACD/AYC pump fluid or the AYC rear ATF fluid ??

I ran the pump fluid until I sold my car around 5.5years .. never had any problems .. you don't need to change that .. change the mechanic

If you're talking about the ATF fluid for the clutch bath ..
Then you better change mechanic
Old Feb 28, 2009, 12:37 AM

I almost agree to you that fluid expand once heated... I understood the chemistry...

Somehow, I solved the mystery to it why the ATF reservior SPIII fluid goes down and up.... You can do this when you start your egine tomorrow..

I manage to bring in another brand new show room EVO X MR... open the car boot and check the oil reservior before I start engine... the oil is in max marking. I get one of the sale guy to start the engine, and immediately the oil went down to min marking, this indicating that the AYC pump is drawing the reservior oil for initial startup... and the oil revert to max marking after 5 min of warming up the car... This is repeatable... off your engine and start it, the same thing happen...

This is not due to the heat expand theory... so I almost agree to you.. Sorry man.. your theory on expansion is not applicatable here..

Last edited by sweetapple4u; Feb 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

AYC/ACD Pump fluid and rear ATF

Both the ACD/AYC and rear fluid belongs to the same ATF SPIII

What is a clutch bath? Mine is a MR (SST). I am not changing that oil... moreover, that oil is SSTF-1 not SPIII..

Thanks for your crude advice.. change mechanic.. !!! But this mechanic do have many followers since evo 789 days.. morever evo 9 AWC is almost identical to EVO X... what makes you think I should change mechanic??
sigh .. here we go again .. 7 years and nothing changed rotfl

ATF fluid is the same .. but not used together and not used for the same reason ..
doesn't matter which evo you have .. the ACD/AYC is the SAME ..

Then your mechanic should know that AYC pump doesn't need flushing .. or fluid change unless you take out your ENTIRE transmission and AYC unit ..

You have 2 differential oils to change and 1 ATF fluid at the rear .. that ATF fluid at the rear diff is your AYC CLUTCHPACK bath .. changing that ATF doesn't require you to BLEED the system ..

at your mechanic with many followers ..
I'll give you the same advice I gave ablaze .. the oldman mechanic with no sports car in his garage can probably do a better job than the flashy garages nowadays ..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AYC OIL Change