Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

*rant* Is the paint on the X cheap or what?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
My 98 Eclipse GST had one of the more durable paint jobs I've ever had.
Weird, so does mine. I'm glad it isn't black, though. Mitsu did a very poor job with black cars coming out of the DSM plant. My GS-T's paint looks better then my wife's 08 G35 paint.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a black civic si, and anytime i drive more than 30 min on the highway, there is always a chip or two on the paint, after 30k miles, most of my front end had white paint chip spots. I think for any car, some kind of paint protector on the front end is a must.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:48 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by endGameXIII
I've been detailing cars here and there for the past five years, and never once have I seen factory paint so damn thin! I was doing a light buff on the paint on my aero spoiler...and what happens? My paint gets burned! This is factory paint, mind you! My custom paint shop can do better than this!

Now I gotta go see if it can be blended...I really don't want to paint the entire rear spoiler...*sigh*
uh...you burned through the paint dude, that's not the paint's fault, that's your fault.

I paint lots of X parts, and the OEM paint is thin, yes, but no thinner that Lexus uses. You aren't the first guy (myself included) to burn through the basecoat with a buffer

Just paint the whole thing. I can send you a spray can of OEM paint if you want to do it yourself, and can even have it made single stage w/clear so you can just shoot it and be done
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:50 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HybridKOOP
My guess is that he was definitely using a rotary.

If he burned through with a DA polisher, then we're all really in trouble!

- Louis
people always burn their paint first time with a rotary. Was probably rotary, wool pad, and compound. Woooosh goodbye paint! Would have happened to any paint job. Rotary's are tricky, I try to keep mine under 1500rpm most of the time.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 03:56 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlazinVIII
based on what i've read, i'm guessing that repainting the car in a quality paint would fix this problem, wouldn't it? i'm a little bit of a perfectionist, so i'm kind of considering doing this.

edit: instead of creating a new post, i figured i'd just bump this one back up
It has quality paint on it already. MY cost for a pint of OEM equivalent paint is ~$50 and that's without reducer or clear. So that's roughly $500-600 a gallon in paint. Not cheap!

If you are worried about the paint surface...you're actually all referring to the clearcoat, not the paint. It goes primer---basecoat---clear. Chips that are white are in the clear coat, not the colorcoat. Chips that show bare metal are in the color coat. 99% of your chips and scratches are in the clearcoat, which is MUCH thicker than the base coat.

If you want to redo it so it's thicker (I did it to mine, but I do bodywork so it only costs me time), what you really want is to add another layer of clear coat. you don't want to tangle with matching basecoat colors. You can just sand down the panel with 320-500-600 , scuff it, then shoot clear over that. In fact, you could redo an entire care with a matte finish clear that way, too. Except it would cost you a grand in materials alone and take about 30 hours to do right
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leon.D
I had a black civic si, and anytime i drive more than 30 min on the highway, there is always a chip or two on the paint, after 30k miles, most of my front end had white paint chip spots. I think for any car, some kind of paint protector on the front end is a must.
Honda red and black is just as bad from those years.

You guys have talked me out of trying to buff my car myself with a rotary. Just gonna have to stick to the Karate Kid method or use a dual action buffer.

Last edited by GPTourer; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ikt
It has quality paint on it already. MY cost for a pint of OEM equivalent paint is ~$50 and that's without reducer or clear. So that's roughly $500-600 a gallon in paint. Not cheap!

If you are worried about the paint surface...you're actually all referring to the clearcoat, not the paint. It goes primer---basecoat---clear. Chips that are white are in the clear coat, not the colorcoat. Chips that show bare metal are in the color coat. 99% of your chips and scratches are in the clearcoat, which is MUCH thicker than the base coat.

If you want to redo it so it's thicker (I did it to mine, but I do bodywork so it only costs me time), what you really want is to add another layer of clear coat. you don't want to tangle with matching basecoat colors. You can just sand down the panel with 320-500-600 , scuff it, then shoot clear over that. In fact, you could redo an entire care with a matte finish clear that way, too. Except it would cost you a grand in materials alone and take about 30 hours to do right
ahhhh alright, so most of the problem is the thin clearcoat then? in that case, i guess i'll just have more clearcoat put on if that's the solution. i just want it to be like my Audi - which has practically no scratches/chips on the original paint after 130,000 miles

Last edited by BlazinVIII; May 21, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Honda red and black is just as bad from those years.

You guys have talked me out of trying to buff my car myself with a rotary. Just gonna have to stick to the Karate Kid method or use a dual action buffer.
that's what you should be using. The days of a rotary are gone. The only advantage it has is to save time but you gotta know the machine well in order not to cause damage. Go get yourself a flex or rupe those thnigs are the ish. I have a griots garage unit and it works great.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:00 AM

Are you Guys with rally red evos having other problems with the paint? I've been thinking about getting one but i keep reading paint sucks(of course that will not keep me out from buying one) but just wondering because red can fade out and a few other issues. Im between RR or WW.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:07 AM

WW looks the best IMO. I haven't had any paint issues
Old May 22, 2013, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
56k miles on my 2010 and the WW paint still looks fine. Nothing out of the ordinary, just the typical small rock chips that any vehicle would get. I do what I can to protect the car from sun and the elements: wash, wax, park indoors, etc.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lancerus
Are you Guys with rally red evos having other problems with the paint? I've been thinking about getting one but i keep reading paint sucks(of course that will not keep me out from buying one) but just wondering because red can fade out and a few other issues. Im between RR or WW.
I met up with an Evo owner the other day. He had a 08 RR. His didn't look faded or anything out of the ordinary.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Bad paint... yes.