Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why did I blow a fuse?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did I blow a fuse?

So the other day I pulled my X into the garage after a short trip to the gas station, and when I pulled in the garage, it shut shut off and started acting like it was getting reflashed by my Cobb AP, ( Information screen was going through a cycle of service warnings and check engine warnings and the fans were blowing), so i just turned the car off and went in the house.

When I came back to check it the car did the same reflash thing again with the key in the on position and it wouldn't start. I then called Cobb tuning and the gentleman on the phone told me to do a hard reset (taking off the neg terminal for a minute), after I did that....nothing, just the same scenario again. So I called Cobb back, he then told me to check my fuses, so I did and the fuse box under the hood had a blown #22 fuse. I changed the fuse and the car worked fine.

I am running a Cobb stage II map with SF intake option, with the SF intake and turbo inlet hose, greddy downpipe and UR testpipe. No CBE yet. I wasn't driving the car hard either right before this happened but the previous day I had a P1235 code come up. Could it be because I dont have the CBE yet and the tune is for a full TBE? Also I know this was covered in another thread but my oil does smell like fuel somewhat. What should I do to take care of this problem? Sorry for the long post.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does fuse # 22 control? Click on the thumbnail below to see the info from the service manual. P1235 is fuel pump control out of range.
Attached Thumbnails Why did I blow a fuse?-fuse.jpg  
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:07 PM

i have no idea what it controls...its just has a picture of an engine next to it, but why did i get the p1235 code when i have a tune?
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

p1235 for the evo is maf sensor plausible not pump
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Now thats whacked out..

WM
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

I'm just making a statement here... but

perhaps the fuse just broke.. it does happen. Now if you pop the fuse again, i would be worried. otherwise be glad the fuse worked as intended.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

I thought that p1235 was an overboost code?That is crazy,what your car is doing.That map is from cobb themselves or its a perrin map?I want to get an accessport when I get the rest of the parts that I want and go back in for a retune.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by PR_Mivec
p1235 for the evo is maf sensor plausible not pump
Yes, you are right, from the manual...

DTC P1235: Mass Airflow Sensor Plausibility

TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION
Compare the actual measurement of volumetric efficiency by a mass airflow sensor signal with volumetric efficiency estimated from a throttle position sensor (main or sub) signal.

But, that does not say much, there is actually quite a few posts on this same code, best is to search and read them alll.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

You can't run Stage II ots without a CBE read the map notes.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by smoothevo
You can't run Stage II ots without a CBE read the map notes.
when i talked to Cobb on the phone and in e-mails they said I would be fine running what i have now....but i guess not...btw the fuse blew again, same one, i compared the scenarios with each time it blew, i filled up my gas tank, then the next full 4 wheel stop i made it blew....also now i have a P0037 code........wtf fml
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

It sounds like overboosting (p1235) because of the stock exhaust man. In Gunzo's thread on the other forum I saw alot of people getting overboost codes when they were running tuned maps that required CBE and they didn't have the CBE. Basically the ecu screws with something and it in turn causes the car to make more boost with the stock catback than with an aftermarket free flowing one and then the spikes throw the p1235 code. You might just have to pull the pill and go back to the stage 1 map for now or get a full exhaust to fix it. A boost gauge would be another option to see exactly how much your boosting when it throws the overboost code. Gimme a call tomorrow if you have any more questions about it.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
It sounds like overboosting (p1235) because of the stock exhaust man. In Gunzo's thread on the other forum I saw alot of people getting overboost codes when they were running tuned maps that required CBE and they didn't have the CBE. Basically the ecu screws with something and it in turn causes the car to make more boost with the stock catback than with an aftermarket free flowing one and then the spikes throw the p1235 code. You might just have to pull the pill and go back to the stage 1 map for now or get a full exhaust to fix it. A boost gauge would be another option to see exactly how much your boosting when it throws the overboost code. Gimme a call tomorrow if you have any more questions about it.
No sir,

P1235 is because you are too low on the airflow checks tables. P1238 is too high.

In other words P1235 is an undershoot code while P1238 is an overshoot code both dealing with the trustfull airflow checks tables.

To the O.P. sounds like you may have some harness damage somewhere causing a short.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
No sir,

P1235 is because you are too low on the airflow checks tables. P1238 is too high.

In other words P1235 is an undershoot code while P1238 is an overshoot code both dealing with the trustfull airflow checks tables.
Not according to everything else I've read on the forums. People were getting p1235 for overboosting, I double checked this morning on here and EvoXForums. P1235 is overboost at partial throttle. IE high load low rpms
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

you should at least have a test pipe or pipe with hFC to run stage2
Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by pltek
you should at least have a test pipe or pipe with hFC to run stage2
got a testpipe and downpipe....gonna reinstall boost pill today and run stage I map and see what happens then...

Quick Reply: Why did I blow a fuse?