Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rubber strip at the bottom of the Aero-kit is falling off!!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubber strip at the bottom of the Aero-kit is falling off!!

The front Air-Dam of the Aero-kit equipped Evo X’s are very low. It took about 4 days for me to finally find a drive-way that managed to dislodge the middle to left side of the rubber-strip that surrounds the front Air-Dam. Some of the fasteners were lost but I was able to get it back on with 3 of the fasteners missing. A couple of weeks later it happened again but this time I lost 2 more of the fasteners.

I went to the dealership to purchase some of the fasteners and they didn’t even have the parts listed on their computer. They didn’t have any of the Aero-Kit parts listed!! How can Mitsubishi sell something without having replacement parts available? Sucks.

So now my only alternative is to either remove the strip altogether, or apply double-sided tape to it every week or so. I took the double-sided tape method but it sucks having to reapply it all the time (the tape method also doesn’t make the rubber strip fit as flush as it did before). But what sucks even more is that Mitsubishi doesn’t even have some the parts available to maintain the “New” vehicles that are on the road today.

I’m gonna also post this on the other EVOx boards. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
Old May 7, 2009, 10:01 AM

This might not be much help, but i know where you coming from...though my rubber part is sitting in the trunk.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Run a search, there are plenty of other people with this problem and I know they've found a solution or two, including buying replacement fasteners from the dealer. Maybe you can find a part number somewhere on here.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys! Next time I'll use the "search" first.
Old May 7, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Contact ron marhofer auto sales and ask for Rich in service, he has the parts custom made and I'm sure he would ship them your way!
Old May 7, 2009, 10:59 AM

welcome to evo x
Old May 7, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Happened to me as well. i just removed it altogether and haven't looked back. Its a decent piece but in my opinion it will always have the chance of getting scraped off no matter how you re-attach it whereas the bumper will both have greater clearance and "should" have some give if you do slightly bump something.
Old May 8, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Happened to me - i brought it back to the dealer and had it replaced under warranty. the cost was like $300 on the signoff sheet but it was covered 100% as long as you don't have scuffs on your bumper (like you hit something) you should be ok at the dealer. there are a ton of complaints on the aero kit so i would suggest reporting it...hopefully there will be an official fix like the hood latch cable
Old May 8, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing here, up a steep driveway and it pulled off the rubber. I put in back on using the clips that were left, and it just got peeled off again. I ended up taking it off for good, especially since the car is lowered now.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I picked up a bottle of super glue and just leave it in the car. Everytime it falls off, I whip it out and put a little glue on it. Problem solved.
Old May 8, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I finally tore mine off on a dip exiting a gas station, traffic was closing fast so I pulled out too fast...

Finally I tore the entire thing off, cut the rubber down to half it's height and found some similar plastic tabs from Pep Boys. With some 3M trim adhesive and the hardware it now seems to be holding up pretty good. I think if anyone is lowering their car more than 1.0" they are better off trimming it down or removing the rubber strip all together.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:00 AM
Evolving Member

I guerrilla glued it, that worked verrryy well.. of course it came off again but I super glued it. Came off again, and this time I replaced the lip with another one that's even lower

I don't suggest getting more clips to fix it, unless its a easy item for you to obtain or get covered, but glue works very well as long as you know how to work angles ... i'm now 3" or less off the ground scrapping my lip but no rubber to worry about
Old May 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Mine keep falling off and I lost a couple of plastic screws and clips.
So I replaced all the plastic screws with real metal screws.
Over the last couple of months, its still holding on really well.
Old May 9, 2009, 11:31 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this...Aero Front Lip Repair Kit for $124.40.

http://www.mitsubishiparts.net/catal...ction=601#1697
Old Jul 6, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

anyone have the part number for just the clips?

Quick Reply: Rubber strip at the bottom of the Aero-kit is falling off!!