Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help finding a seating solution for my X

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help finding a seating solution for my X

Previously I posted this in the motorsport section but did not get any nibbles so I thought I would try here:

Whats up Guys and Gals,

For some reason, the stock seats in the X gsr simply do not fit me well at all. To date I have not been able to find a seating position that allows proper elbow angle, foot room for heal-toe, and a seat back angle that will allow me to wear my helmet without being forced to look at my crotch rather than the road

The head rest portion of the seat seems to go way past vertical when my arm and leg position is correct hence the reason I can't fit my helmet. I have already tried the HKS perfect height seat rails (the model that allows you to raise the seat height at the front and or back) which helped, but still not good enough.

Never had a single issue with the seats in my VIII, they fit me perfectly and I did several track days in comfort (well aside from the lack of lateral support once I went to r compound tires and KW's).

So, I started searching for a lighter than stock seat solution that will allow me to track the car in comfort. I've been mailing back and forth with Ben over at rallysport, great guy, but at this point I'm more confused than ever.

Here is what I need:
- light weight bucket in the 400 - 500 price range (not including brackets)
- sliders
- Ability to adjust height and angle of the seat at install time
- FIA approved if possible, not required so long as the seat is safe for use on public roads and track events

The car is primarily a weekend toy and track day car not really a daily driver anymore. I don't care about being able to adjust seat height or angle while driving, I just want to be sure whatever I get, I can adjust at install time to get the most comfortable and "proper" seating position.

Originally, I thought you could use the sparco 400 series base with the sliders and the side mount rails, but I hearing that this in not the case. Plus it adds cost and weight. I was also told the same about the Corbeau stuff.

I'm sure some people use longer hardware and such to shim bottom mount seats to change the angle. This does not sound like a good idea at all because the last thing I want is the mounting bolts to shear off in a collision.

Can anyone share some knowledge or recommend some solutions here?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

i know this isnt helping your problem at all but where did you get the HKS perfect height seat rails from... this is the first i am hearing of them
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RKT SHP
i know this isnt helping your problem at all but where did you get the HKS perfect height seat rails from... this is the first i am hearing of them
Got them from japan parts dot net. They were a vendor on here at that time, not sure if they still are.

Since no one has come forward with any advice (hard to believe I'm the only person who has ever wanted to be able to adjust seating position with a bucket seat) I think I'm going to have to have some fab work done and find a way to make the available parts work.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

i love the x seats. if your selling pm me
Old Jul 20, 2009, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just want my seats to go down 1" so that my head isn't sitting on the roof. That's all I'm asking for
Old Jul 21, 2009, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I just want my seats to go down 1" so that my head isn't sitting on the roof. That's all I'm asking for
Tall bastard Wish I had that problem . The issue seems to be that in general you can either side mount a seat or bottom mount a seat, side mounts allow you adjust the height and tilt a bit, while bottom mount sliders and such just slide, and you can't mount the side mount rails to the bottom mount tracks. Can't may be a strong word there as I'm sure it can be done. I was just wanting something to bolt right in....

Last edited by Mad_SB; Jul 21, 2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
well if you need the seat to come up, that's easy and other people on here have done it with longer bolts and washers/sleeves as spacers.

Since the way the rails mount to the seats is on bumps off the floor (rather than a removable leg like on most cars), I don't think there's going to be an easier way to do this.

Don't the HKS rails actually lower the seat a bit? If those are the ones you have and you're wanting to get rid of them, torso boy here might be interested
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
well if you need the seat to come up, that's easy and other people on here have done it with longer bolts and washers/sleeves as spacers.

Since the way the rails mount to the seats is on bumps off the floor (rather than a removable leg like on most cars), I don't think there's going to be an easier way to do this.

Don't the HKS rails actually lower the seat a bit? If those are the ones you have and you're wanting to get rid of them, torso boy here might be interested
LOL,

So, HKS has two versions of the rails, one version is designed to raise the seat, the other is designed to lower the seat, I got the former.

Believe me I have thought about shimming using longer hardware etc, but I don't feel like this is a safe idea. Obviously it depends on how much the connecting points are shimmed, but bolts are not intended (or not the stongest) to be shear load fasteners and that is exactly what happens when you start shimming... it creates more shear load or can in the event of an accident.

Had I not been rear ended by a dumb *** lady when my VIII was two months old I probably would not be so paranoid about shimming. I was at a dead stop a fraction of a second before I got hit (got the old swoop and squat from some shat pile) and the maxima that rear ended me was going about 40mph when she hit me. I managed to mash the go pedal and dump the clutch just before impact. The ambulance driver said those factory seats in my VIII saved me..... Hence why I'm worried about the safety aspect

Over all, I think if we are talking about 1/4 inch or so it should be fine assuming you go up a grade or two on the bolts. I think I'm gonna need more than that but I won't know till I pick out my seat and try the default track / rail set for that particular seat.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:07 AM

I was pretty much in the same situation as you with my car.

Since I had a Recaro SPG seat lying around, i decided to make it work. Since the stock sliders have side mount, I've use them along with Recaro mount that I had trim the bottom portion of so that they bolt from the side instead of the bottom. I've use the shim provided with the mount to bridge the gap between the seat and the side mount.

The seat is lower than stock even in the top position of the side mount. The tab that hold the handle for the slider had to be bent out of the way but it still work.

Eventually all have someone weld longer part to the mount so I can use all the adjustment, as well as see outside the car when I'm backing up.

I'll take some pictures if you want. Real easy to do. But the real problem for me will always be the out of reach steering wheel. I'm looking into an expensive way around that.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Absent
I was pretty much in the same situation as you with my car.

Since I had a Recaro SPG seat lying around, i decided to make it work. Since the stock sliders have side mount, I've use them along with Recaro mount that I had trim the bottom portion of so that they bolt from the side instead of the bottom. I've use the shim provided with the mount to bridge the gap between the seat and the side mount.

The seat is lower than stock even in the top position of the side mount. The tab that hold the handle for the slider had to be bent out of the way but it still work.

Eventually all have someone weld longer part to the mount so I can use all the adjustment, as well as see outside the car when I'm backing up.

I'll take some pictures if you want. Real easy to do. But the real problem for me will always be the out of reach steering wheel. I'm looking into an expensive way around that.
Good info man. I think I'm going to test fit my butt in some seats this weekend then I'll be back in touch with Ben over at RallySport. I'm sure I'm going to have to fabricate something.... I just can't see the point in spending $500 - $700 per seat just to go from bad to worse (seating position that is)...