Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Adjusting height of HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2011, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMP
Sorry for thread digging, but if the default setting is 0, what is the point of having adjustable headlights with a switch? Why would you want the headlights to shine down? Ive had my headlights on 0 since day one. Can someone explain to me why I would want to adjust them with the switch?
HIDs are brighter and can easily blind oncoming cars if they aim too high. If you carry passengers in the rear or something heavy in the trunk, the rear squats down and the lights aim higher. The government mandated that cars with HIDs have either a manual or automatic way to compensate for this temporary situation. Some higher end cars like Audi's have automatic adjustment. Sometimes when you lower your car with springs or coilovers, the rear is now lower than the front, so the lights aim higher, or vice versa, the rear is higher so the lights aim into the ground. You then have to adjust the lights with the adjustments screws at the lights itself and not with the knob inside the car.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:14 PM
DMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowkey
HIDs are brighter and can easily blind oncoming cars if they aim too high. If you carry passengers in the rear or something heavy in the trunk, the rear squats down and the lights aim higher. The government mandated that cars with HIDs have either a manual or automatic way to compensate for this temporary situation. Some higher end cars like Audi's have automatic adjustment. Sometimes when you lower your car with springs or coilovers, the rear is now lower than the front, so the lights aim higher, or vice versa, the rear is higher so the lights aim into the ground. You then have to adjust the lights with the adjustments screws at the lights itself and not with the knob inside the car.
Ahh...I didnt even think about that. Thanks for explaining.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 08:13 PM

I just drove 700 miles from Chicago to DC with the headlight set to the lowest position. I had no idea there was a toggle from inside the cabin and was searching on where the adjustment screw is on the actual housing itself. I'm very thankful for this forum!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 05:21 PM

There's this little nob I think it's white. You can adjust it using a small 8mm(not very sure though).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 09:57 AM

Do you need more adjustment than is available from the control on the dash?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:44 AM

I've always found that Lancer and EVO HID were too low to be comfortable from the factory, even on the highest dial setting.

Very easy to adjust them higher with the small knob on the back of each headlight, yes might be 8mm...pretty small.
Park in front of a garage or wall and mark the original point and make sure you do both even amount.
Do not move them up too high, just a little adjustment makes a big difference. Too much and you're going to be blinding everybody.

What I did was move both lights up a bit, then change the knob in the car to a lower level. Then I can drive normally with them just a bit higher than stock, and when the road is empty I can move the dial up and drive with them a bit higher.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...postcount=1382

i did the method with the long phillips and it worked great!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 08:53 AM

I have the same issue after I lowered it on Eibach Pro-Kit. When you guys say HID, you mean the projector head lights right?