Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X Seafoam

I have sworn by seafoam for a few years, and I want to do it to my X. Only problem is, does anybody know a vaccum line I could use for Seamfoam? I've only had my evo since april, and i'm not terribly familiar with it. any help would be great. On my last car, I was able to find pictures of which vacuum line to use, but I haven't found any relevant information to the X.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A line after the tb.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:42 AM

uhh...would you happen to have a pic? like i said...not terribly familiar with my car. this is my first turbo car ever...my previous was a supercharged 2.0L 4cylinder...much simpler system. I couldnt' tell you what half the stuff under my evo's hood does. turbo cars are still foreign to me...but i'm slowly learning.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt that you would have enough mileage on your car to warrant the use of seafoam.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Follow the air path as it enters the engine...

First it goes through the filter and past the MAF sensor. After that it passes by the crank case breather and the boost solenoid vent before dipping into the turbo inlet. After the turbo you have the upper intercooler pipe that cuts across the engine bay to the passenger side of the intercooler up front on the top.

After passing through the intercooler the air exits the driver's side at the bottom of the intercooler into the lower intercooler pipe. This pipe does a 180 degree turn and then starts heading up to the throttle body. The throttle body is attached directly to the intake manifold. Anywhere on there is what he meant by anywhere after the tb.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:00 PM

it's not JUST used to clean internals when they are gunky and they need to be cleaned. i usually run seafoam every other oil change...just to keep everything clean and gunk free. i have about 14k on my car right now, and running seafoam for the first time on it. plus..my car was a demo with 3,4xx miles on it when i bought it...so i want to clean out any gunk from cheaper off brand gas that might have been used. i've had really good luck using seafoam as a preventative maintenance measure as well as a "hey your car sucks, put seafoam in it" measure. i didn't want to mess with vacuum lines in the Napa parking lot on my lunch break, so i put 1/3 in the crank case and the rest in the gas tank. i wanted to put it in this afternoon, as i'm getting my oil changed tomorrow anyway...so i figured i'd blow some foam through it for a day. any way you look at it...it can't hurt.

pics of a proper vacuum line to use would still be greatly appreciated for future reference!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Follow the air path as it enters the engine...

First it goes through the filter and past the MAF sensor. After that it passes by the crank case breather and the boost solenoid vent before dipping into the turbo inlet. After the turbo you have the upper intercooler pipe that cuts across the engine bay to the passenger side of the intercooler up front on the top.

After passing through the intercooler the air exits the driver's side at the bottom of the intercooler into the lower intercooler pipe. This pipe does a 180 degree turn and then starts heading up to the throttle body. The throttle body is attached directly to the intake manifold. Anywhere on there is what he meant by anywhere after the tb.
holy cow! that made sense! i was wondering exactly how and where the air moved after the air filter. thanks again!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mjesenovec
I have sworn by seafoam for a few years, and I want to do it to my X. Only problem is, does anybody know a vaccum line I could use for Seamfoam? I've only had my evo since april, and i'm not terribly familiar with it. any help would be great. On my last car, I was able to find pictures of which vacuum line to use, but I haven't found any relevant information to the X.
you need a high source of vacume, and on the EvoX there is a line that runs prallel to the head , if you are standing in front of the engine with the hood open it will be on your right hand side , if you follow it it will go into the intake manifolt into the brake booster.

we have the Wynns 3 stage wich for 65 shipped includes the can like sea foam also has a spray can of throttle body sprayer, and a bottle of in the tank fuel additive, this is a complete fuel system cleaner flush,, you will notice the difference.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
I doubt that you would have enough mileage on your car to warrant the use of seafoam.
plus if you use a good oil, you should never have to use seafoam...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

I was just thinking that,, seafoam can't be that useful in a new car
Old Oct 5, 2009, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by derekste
plus if you use a good oil, you should never have to use seafoam...
Correct...but you dont just use it in the oil. with one $10 can, you can clean your crankcase, intake manifold, fuel system, injectors, etc. i'm not looking for reasons why I dont NEED to use seafoam. I like it. Even if i don't need it...it doesn't hurt to run a can through every once in a while. I just had a question about which vacuum line to use. I'm getting my oil changed tomorrow anyway, so I figured it would be a good time to pour a can in and run it for a day, then get fresh oil. will it make any difference? probably not, but it's peace of mind.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure you can use the line right of the intake manifold that goes into the BOV source.

You do not need the BOV at vacuum anyways.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

HUGE TIP: Do not boost with this crap in your fuel.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by danielskshin
HUGE TIP: Do not boost with this crap in your fuel.
with mere ounces mixed in with over 12 gallons of fuel, i do not see this being a problem. Granted, i'm not going to track it or anything on this tank of gas, but driving normally with mild boost to clear out any buildup should never hurt anything. I've read things about seafoam increasing octane slightly, but with 12gal of fuel, the difference is only like .1 or .2. That's not enough to cause any worry. With my previous supercharged 4 cylinder, it was recommending to do some WOT full boost to help blow some of the crud out....and blow out crud it did. never had any ill-effects on the last vehicle. only good, and safe, things to say about seafoam. now i'm sure under certain circumstances, it might not be 100% safe...but in my experiences it's fine.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mjesenovec
supercharged 4 cylinder
You keep referring to this... did you drive a 2004 Saturn Ion Redline or a 2005 Cobalt SS?

Quick Reply: Evo X Seafoam