Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Exhaust Tips Turned Gold in a few weeks?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Tips Turned Gold in a few weeks?

Newbie question...I bought the V2 exhaust and test pipe from ETS, and my tips have turned gold in a matter of weeks. Can you guys w/ETS exhaust chime in and tell me if this is normal? Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by azmarcdevil
Newbie question...I bought the V2 exhaust and test pipe from ETS, and my tips have turned gold in a matter of weeks. Can you guys w/ETS exhaust chime in and tell me if this is normal? Thanks!
The heat from the exhaust will do that to almost any tip. Sounds like you have been driving it pretty hard am I right?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're stainless tips. Stainless will turn all sorts of colors with enough heat. It's normal.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by flyguycfi
The heat from the exhaust will do that to almost any tip. Sounds like you have been driving it pretty hard am I right?
Actually, I baby the car...but I noticed the color change after my tune.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by azmarcdevil
Actually, I baby the car...but I noticed the color change after my tune.
you sure it's not just soot filming on your tip? try polishing it with some metal polish.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 01:17 AM

Polishing will remove the tinted oxide layer and restore a silver shine, but I'd put money (not a lot, but some) on the fact that it will recur.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Just leave it as is, it is too much trouble to keep it chrome/silver colored. My entire exhaust system turned gold few days after installation and the tip is black from soot, even when it is tuned to run lean (I seldom see flames). It will look funny at first, as if it is a part of a gold trim package that were popular on Japanese cars back in 80's and 90's, but later you will get used to it.
If you really cannot stand it, then you may want to switch back to stock or look for titanium ones.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the full ets tbe and mine exhaust tips aren't sparkling chrome after washing them anymore. i don't know if it is heat so much as it is the soot that collects and sits there until you wash it off. i am not worried about it because after a mile of driving after a wash the tips are black again. i am sure a chrome cleaner would get it back to the silvery color you desire. i may do it from time to time myself just to keep the tips clean

ets made such a nice exhaust for the X. don't you agree?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have to really lean out the car to get the tips to stay shiny. In fact after running around town with the car at 3 psi or less due to my interal WG failure, it seems that even when I'm barely into closed loop load the tips get black after a few drives. I did find that some light to medium rubbing compound shines them up quite well to a bright silver and cleaning the tips is super easy after you do that a couple times.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I've got an ETS v2 and I have the same discoloration. Its normal for stainless. My CP-E HFC did the same thing.

Originally Posted by dek0026
ets made such a nice exhaust for the X. don't you agree?
Eh... If i had it to do over again i would have gone Perrin i think. Doesnt sound as aggressive, but much better overall fitment and quality. I installed a buddies perrin followed by my v2 and his "just fit". I had to mount mine on only 1 of the exhaust bracket holes since if i mount it on both it rattles against the hanger near the center diff. Just my opinion anyway
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:43 AM

yea I dont think the yellow is normal. I had a magnaflow catback on my cobalt and it stated silver for years. I now have the perrin, and its been about two weeks, and I have no yellowing problem.

I agree, its probably just a layer of something on it, and a quick polish should fix it, but I dont know at what rate it will re-occur.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

using a very fine grade steel wool will quickly remove this layer.

#0000 grade from mguires (sp) or simmilar should do nicely.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by flagg77
I've got an ETS v2 and I have the same discoloration. Its normal for stainless. My CP-E HFC did the same thing.

Eh... If i had it to do over again i would have gone Perrin i think. Doesnt sound as aggressive, but much better overall fitment and quality. I installed a buddies perrin followed by my v2 and his "just fit". I had to mount mine on only 1 of the exhaust bracket holes since if i mount it on both it rattles against the hanger near the center diff. Just my opinion anyway
not to go too far off topic but a lot of people i've met raved about the fitment of the ets setup. when you say v2 are you including dp/o2 and test pipe/cat?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

nope, just catback.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

then maybe there are fitment issues when bolting onto the stock cat. i have their test pipe and dp/o2 and the fitment is perfect.

/off topic posting

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips Turned Gold in a few weeks?