Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Noise levels at Laguna Seca and an Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise levels at Laguna Seca and an Evo X

Has anyone had any issues with the sound level guys at Laguna Seca running an X with a modified exhaust ?
I've just moved to a T1R Turbo back with HFC and it's obviously much noisier at WOT than it used to be.. I'm concerned that I'm not going to make the limit of <92dba using this setup and fear that I might have to go back to the Stock setup to meet the target.
I've got a fly-by sound test with a friend's sound meter to try and work out what I'm throwing out but a rudimentary test with an iPhone and app showed 95dba which isn't encouraging.
I'm also thinking that the T1R just might be too loud for the street anyway as I don't really want any untoward attention so am looking at adding an extra muffler / resonator into the flow anyway. I've read about taking the stock size pipes off the Stock cat and replacing them with 3" pipes to give them more flow but am not sure this is the right way to go.
Any input on either point would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

I thought T1R was one of the quietest exhausts. But the buschur and magnaflow are also pretty quiet.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:15 PM
Former Sponsor

There's also the Fujitsubo exhausts, which range between 87-90 db's. We have a sale on the Leaglis R's here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...usts-sale.html
Old Feb 3, 2010, 06:55 AM

I'm soooo jealous you get to track at Laguna Seca!!! Thats the best track ever!!!! I used to live in Monterey Bay and worked at Seca for about four years!!!! God I miss that place! Please take pics and update!!!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:01 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
You must be talking about their single. I have the dual exit muffler T1R 76S, and its stupid quiet, almost stock sounding, even with a test pipe!
Old Feb 3, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just add in a muffler or large resonator, something like a Magnaflow that's straight through. It'll quiet down the exhaust a little and won't add any restriction at all.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by DrivelineSales
There's also the Fujitsubo exhausts, which range between 87-90 db's. We have a sale on the Leaglis R's here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...usts-sale.html
PM Sent.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
You must be talking about their single. I have the dual exit muffler T1R 76S, and its stupid quiet, almost stock sounding, even with a test pipe!
I'm actually talking about the Dual 76S. The HFC has really opened up the sound at WOT although it is, as you say, stupid quiet idle. I would never call it stock sounding at WOT.
It's getting a little quieter with more miles but I fear it's reached its final level.

Perhaps the addition of a muffler will help some as suggested above.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've run Laguna on my GSXR 1000 & the noise police are militant there. during bike track days they generally wouldn't even let you participate with aftermarket exhaust because of the noise restrictions. Have a back up plan in case you get flagged, otherwise it will ruin your day.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 05:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Tractoy
I'm actually talking about the Dual 76S. The HFC has really opened up the sound at WOT although it is, as you say, stupid quiet idle. I would never call it stock sounding at WOT.
It's getting a little quieter with more miles but I fear it's reached its final level.

Perhaps the addition of a muffler will help some as suggested above.
Man, I have the 76S and a full test pipe, and if you think it is loud with a HFC, you seriously need to ride in car with any single that is on the market. They rumble, drone, and sound like an explosion in your head. You're not gonna get much better than a 76S in quietness. Mine is church mouse quiet, and is nowhere near 95db even with a test pipe, I'm just sure of it.

I think another muffler will hurt power. I would go for it at Laguna Seca, or look into testing that is more conclusive than an iPhone app.

Edit: Just read the above post: I'm on the other side of the country, never ran on Laguna Seca. I just don't know man.

Last edited by Noize; Feb 3, 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

You will never pass sound at Laguna with a 76S and HFC. I run this setup on my car so I know what it sounds like. I haven't been to Laguna with the X but I've been there many times with my Evo 8s. It's no big deal unless you are trying to lay down a track record. All you have to do is go 1/2-3/4 throttle going up the hill out of turn 5 for about 100 yards where the sound check is. It may add about a second to your lap times but it's better than buying a new exhaust system. You'll never be able to get a quiet enough aftermarket exhaust for Laguna. I've seen OEM systems on Corvette's and other high $ Euro cars fail sound there.

Just lift and have fun the other 99% of the lap.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delkat
You will never pass sound at Laguna with a 76S and HFC. I run this setup on my car so I know what it sounds like. I haven't been to Laguna with the X but I've been there many times with my Evo 8s. It's no big deal unless you are trying to lay down a track record. All you have to do is go 1/2-3/4 throttle going up the hill out of turn 5 for about 100 yards where the sound check is. It may add about a second to your lap times but it's better than buying a new exhaust system. You'll never be able to get a quiet enough aftermarket exhaust for Laguna. I've seen OEM systems on Corvette's and other high $ Euro cars fail sound there.

Just lift and have fun the other 99% of the lap.
Had issues @ Laguna, You really have to watch though when you lift coming out of 11 as you go pass the grandstands towards the finish. Usually they get you approaching 6.

I have some great pics of my day @ Laguna about 2 months ago. Have had issues, so my suggestion would be to have Tommy weld you a resonator in place somewhere along your exhaust line. Really hard though, they also make turn down extensions for exhaust systems that do help as well...but you will look a bit silly (but very functional).

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...a-raceway.html

Last edited by HR2L; Feb 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

OK guys, I gotta know this.

They run ALMS at Laguna Seca. I know those cars are louder than any modded Evo could ever dream of being.

Do they lift the sound restrictions for big races and tell the community around the track that complains about the noise to stick it?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by HR2L
Have had issues, so my suggestion would be to have Tommy weld you a resonator in place somewhere along your exhaust line.
Where can I find Tommy ?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

All these issues are due to the fact that there have been some very high end exclusive gated communities built up around Laguna over the past 15 years. These wealthy home owners have pressured the county to put restrictions in place.

Laguna gets s few "Unlimited" sound weekends every year for the big events. They also get an allotment of 94db days. I think their normal limit is 91 or 92db.

I haven't been there in a couple of years but they used to only have a sound check in the right side of the track between 5 and 6. That is why everyone had 90's attached to their exhaust tips to force the exhaust out the left side of the car away from the decibel meter. They may have put additional checks in recently but I haven't heard of that. The county has to pay 2 old ladies to sit in the hut and monitor the sound check and then notify the track officials when to black flag a car for sound. You normally get 3 strikes; your first violation you get black flagged and come in to the pits and open the hood and tell them you made a change and go back out and lift more as you pass the sound check, the second violation- same thing, on the third violation your done for the day. They won't let you back on the track.

As I said, unless you are really competing head to head don't worry about it. You'll figure out a way to get around the sound check and still have fun.

Quick Reply: Noise levels at Laguna Seca and an Evo X