Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you who left RWD cars for an Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you who left RWD cars for an Evo

I'm a person looking at purchasing an EVO X in the future. Something I am wondering is... for those of you that had RWD cars... do you guys miss the RWD platform? One of the fun things about RWD cars is that you can kick out the rear end and have some excitement whenever you want. Now I realize drifting isn't the fastest way around a track... but it can make for some fun times.

The EVO (whatever generation)... is all about grip grip grip. I know I've seen people "slide" EVO... but it's just not the same as what you can do with a RWD car.

So... for those of you that had RWD cars before moving to your EVO's... do you miss the fun you can have with RWD cars?

Here's a reminder... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mexiadRDw
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Crester
I'm a person looking at purchasing an EVO X in the future. Something I am wondering is... for those of you that had RWD cars... do you guys miss the RWD platform? One of the fun things about RWD cars is that you can kick out the rear end and have some excitement whenever you want. Now I realize drifting isn't the fastest way around a track... but it can make for some fun times.

The EVO (whatever generation)... is all about grip grip grip. I know I've seen people "slide" EVO... but it's just not the same as what you can do with a RWD car.

So... for those of you that had RWD cars before moving to your EVO's... do you miss the fun you can have with RWD cars?

Here's a reminder... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mexiadRDw

yes its not a same...
you will find a whole another level of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tSNQZOwBeQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvqRPkU7p_Y

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 16, 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no

i do not miss mine at all lol. i agree it is fun to get sideways but something about the way the evo pulls you through a corner just hits my sweet spot. i really love my new X lol AYC is awesome man how you can feel it working it is crazy now i just need it to be as fast as my 8 was. i truly think my new one handles better than my 8 did and my 8 had full megan racing suspension and my X is stock. to each his own though i just got sick of burning through tires and to many close calls on the street lol.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

I miss RWD, but honestly taking a turn at 45MPH in AWD is more of a thrill lol I had an S15, and I love the X 800 million times more!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:11 PM

yes at times i do miss my s2000 but once i get started on modifying the X i know i wont regret the added traction awd brings hehe...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

NO! I had a 93 mustang before my IX and then got an X... it's so much more fun IMO to have a car that can handle the way the Evo does... i'm sure some RWD cars handle well too, but not any that i've been in can match the X.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

rear wheel is more fun on dry roads but when ur making alot of power: over 450 not much fun w rwd
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

I never left rear wheel drive, but the evo with the AYC carries so much speed on freeway cloverleafs it's not funny (to your passengers)- and it's much more forgiving on the line and very flexible- you can accelerate anytime in the corner, not just at the entrance and exit like a rwd.

one might argue it makes you a lazy driver technically.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:10 PM
t15

NO! I was a 240 junkie for a long time, and yeah while RWD is fun, nothing beats AWD, my EVO X is amazing and handles better than anything ive ever had, even better than my s15 when i was in Japan and i had full JIC suspension, AWD FTW!
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

I love the evo platform. And its still pretty easy to kick it out. The main reason I got this car is the way it handles. I only miss the bling of my old cars. In every other way the evo is just as fun if not better.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

No...I thought that I would miss my Porsche 944 Turbo/951 after I stopped driving it to preserve it for sale. Sure, the car would push me into the driver's seat at full throttle; with 50/50 weight distribution, the car - when dialed in and driven properly - would handle without loss of grip. Although a great RWD car, the EVO took driving to a whole different level; you can push the car to its limits, and it would still oblige. Where the 951 twitched in corners, the EVO would hold them without hesitation. Glad that my wife chose the EVO X.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:31 AM

I traded in my RX-8 for an Evo X MR about three weeks ago. I noticed in the RX-8 I had to be way more concerned about weight transfer through a turn, and getting on the gas too much/early out of a turn easily caused the oversteer you are talking about.
The Evo X is a completely different beast. It feels like you can just power the thing through the turns. Getting on the gas too much/early out of a turn makes the Evo X feel like it is understeering, while at the same time taking off like a rocket. It is also possible to oversteer, if one gives it some gas as the car starts to rotate, but is so much easier to correct than in a RWD.
Basically, it almost seems like you use the throttle to help you turn, which is such a new, thrilling experiance that it leaves me not missing RWD at all.
Granted, I still miss my RX-8, but the Evo X more than compensates.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
It depends on what RWD car you came out of.
If you had an S2000, Corvette, or Elise, there are probably handling elements you'd miss.

If you had a Mustang or Camaro, you probably don't miss that at all.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Heh.. I knew the link the OP would post would either be that Altezza vid (bingo) or the JUN Supra.

Classic
Old Feb 17, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

AWD feels like I'm not doing anything. You can run run run and its damn near perfect, understeering? Turn in harder. Oversteering? Just hold the wheel like you are. I run by everyone else without really even "trying". While being that invincible is great, I do miss actually having to "earn it" in a rwd car. I used to wheel a 99 M3 and a 1968 Camaro, the Camaro obviously wasnt about handling of any kind. But it sure is an intense feeling when you buzz thru a corner at twice the speed of the RWD days. No debating that.

Quick Reply: For those of you who left RWD cars for an Evo