Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need help buying tools for my X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05blue8
The key with Craftsman is that you can drive up to Sears and swap it on the spot. Can you do it with the Northern Tools stuff? More than once my car has been down and I've broken a socket (at the time the only one I had) and had to borrow or call a friend to take me up to Sears to exchange it...nowadays I have 2 or 3 of everything, especially 10, 12, 14, and 17mm sockets/wrenches (buy a few extra of those sizes)
Yeah...I started thinking about that. I think I might spend some more money and just buy a more expensive Craftsman set.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:08 AM

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=36260

I can get this for $179...or is this just overkill?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

IMO
Get a socket set and a full wrench set.
I defiantly recommend a full wrench set. Like this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ll+Wrench+Sets
(You can find cheaper ones than that one. It was the first one i found) They come in handy when your trying to remove stubborn bolts. Especially removing the cat bolts and down pipe bolts.
Get a decent trouble light!
Tool always goes on sale. So its good to wait until they go on sale before buying them.
I also recommend getting a jack with a larger track base and one with a quick pump. I just bought a new jack this week and it makes life alot easier and it feels safer using it. This one: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1266608116702
Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
harbor freight is awesome. For what you buy at sears, you can buy 10 times as much at harbor freight. If you are a full time mechanic, then craftsman, matco, snap on etc are great and your stuff is replaced for free.... but for what you are doing, you can buy more than you could ever use at harbor freight, spend nowhere near the price and if it breaks... so what, you paid 1/4 of the price for it, go buy another one. My first tool set i bought was craftsmen, still have everything, works great... since then i have supplemented it with practically everything from harbor freight and, honestly i cant remember a single thing breaking from them i have either.... air tools, giant floor jack w/ stands etc....
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:11 PM

The Sad part is you can never have enough tools.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigric09
harbor freight is awesome. For what you buy at sears, you can buy 10 times as much at harbor freight. If you are a full time mechanic, then craftsman, matco, snap on etc are great and your stuff is replaced for free.... but for what you are doing, you can buy more than you could ever use at harbor freight, spend nowhere near the price and if it breaks... so what, you paid 1/4 of the price for it, go buy another one. My first tool set i bought was craftsmen, still have everything, works great... since then i have supplemented it with practically everything from harbor freight and, honestly i cant remember a single thing breaking from them i have either.... air tools, giant floor jack w/ stands etc....
Never even heard of Harbor. There is one pretty close to me, but the only full set I could find was this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...and=Pittsburgh And for the price I might as well get a Craftsman set.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:33 PM

It sucks to say right now, as the time just passed, but if you could get a small starter kit to hold you over until next black friday, sears throws some killer deals on their craftsman lineup. Definitely one of the best ways to go for garage working...if you plan on getting into the trade I love Matco and Snap On but WOW the prices go waaaay up.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I would just get a Craftsman set to start with, and expand it with Harbor Freight tools. I have extra sets of wrenches and deep sockets from harbor freight. They are cheap, but also have a lifetime warranty. Just be careful with them as I've heard stories of sockets breaking, but have never had a problem with mine. I get the deep impact sockets (stronger) and use it with a standard socket wrench (non-impact) though.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:36 PM

Yea, harbor freight is nice and cheap I just don't have any retail locations where I'm at. Sears is a different issue Bring them a broken Craftsman tool and voila, out comes a new one
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dykast
Never even heard of Harbor. There is one pretty close to me, but the only full set I could find was this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...and=Pittsburgh And for the price I might as well get a Craftsman set.
you dont need to buy a full set right away. It would help if you set a budget for what you wanted to spend. Tool boxes are fairly expensive, but you can get a decent setup from Lowes for a couple hundred. Thats where i bought my first 2 cabinets from. Then to sears for the socket set, which id a rather went to harbor freight. You can piece together a pretty nice ratcheting wrench set, impact sockets if you want them or just standard type, extensions and ratchets, pliers etc from there for less than 100. Go in the place one time, and try not walking out with a full shopping cart full of stuff and spending more than 100 lol. I buy all of my expendables there as well.... tape, zip ties, glue, RTV etc....

Just check it out before you make a purchase.... its an affordable option, especially when you are only planning on doing the normal car upkeep and bolt on upgrades. Then when bigger and better comes down the road, they have a lot of the specialty tools you need as well.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...=Floor%20Jacks
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:59 PM

My head is spinning! I never thought I would be going this crazy over over getting tools for like 6 bolts...LOL

I think ill check out Harbor Freight. Sears is having a friends and family thing starting sunday so I will check that out too.

Thank again for the help guys.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:17 PM

Sorry to confuse hahah but it does get crazy. Does HF even have retail locations? Like bigric said, stick to the basics for now...then come black friday go nuts :P No, but really, hahah, you'll always need a new tool. Make a list for later and make friends for now
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Don't get a small jack. get a normal sized all steel one for 2 tons or bigger or one of these lo-profile long reach deals. this one even gets under my lowered '95 vette-

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=92782

item 92782
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, Harbor Freight has actual locations; here's a Google search for HF locations near Rancho Cucamonga, CA

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...5f0d161f018361

Quick Reply: Need help buying tools for my X