Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking of possibly switching my IX for a X

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, I'd buy a lancer Ralliart instead (sportback is nice, the extra storage is great utility) It's about $14K cheaper than a loaded MR touring, you still get turbo performance/torque, 4B11T engine, TC-SST 6 speed tranny, IX AWD system, cheap insurance, etc. And you get to keep the IX. I heard a good tune+boost pill on an RA will yield very close performance numbers with a stock/untuned X MR.

Last edited by tipoytm; Mar 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't recommend the above statement... there are supposedly a lot of ralliart owners losing their transmissions with those above mods. Supposedly the clutches are much weaker in the Ralliart SST than the MR SST and that is why the transmissions are failing. That is one of the reasons I decided to give my X MR to my wife instead of her buying a new ralliart.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

^ Good point, I was under the impression that the OP only wanted a DD. As long as he doesn't race/abuse the RA (with the tune+pill), you know... just the occasional spirited driving (no launches), highway passing, etc... the tranny should hold up fine. Or a minimal tune (with GST's freebie ROM, no pill) should get a modest ~30hp/tq gain isn't too bad either, and should still be in the "safe" 100% stock zone.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Just to clarify, I am looking for a daily driver, and I will not be keeping my IX if I get something else.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Well then, if you really won't keep the IX, then you can't go wrong by trading it in for an X MR Touring... can't think of something better for a DD that's still an evo.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

a X is great as a DD. its auto and has cruise. I would never use a manual as a commuter, stop and go traffic blows.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well I am the original owner, it has 32k miles, Completely bone stock TB GSR. Just put on new Hawk street pads all around ~1k miles ago, and replaced the clutch with an OEM unit @ 29k miles all boxes were changed with Amsoil, engine oil has only recieved Mobil-1 10w30, and it has about 70% on the tires. Body is in perfect condition, zero accidents, zero dents or dings, rims have slight curb scratches nothing major. How much you think I can get selling private?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Babs
Put it this way...when you're driving to and from work, you're going to wish you had the X.

On the weekends when you can have some fun, you're going to wish you had the IX.

Your choice.
I don't agree. The IX is definately the straight line monster but on a curved road or track the X is arguably more fun as it drifts better than most RWD cars. S-AYC >>> non-tourque vectoring AWD.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 01:14 PM

I traded my ix for a x gsr and I love it. Stock for stock I think the ix was quicker, but the x is much more fun and comfortable. IMO the x rides better and is quieter in the cabin. Mine is a dd and the automatic would be nice but I also think with a performance car manual is the way to go! Good luck!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:00 PM

i like the x front.. .