Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Replica Do-Luck Trunk Already being sold on Socal...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ODUB
like someone said before, R&D on a trunk design that has ZERO performance benefit? hahahahahaha okay. it's a trunk. it's not a suspension piece, motor part, or even a functional aero panel. i personally wouldn't buy a knockoff of a functional part where performance is the goal of adding the part. that would defeat the whole purpose of buying it.

that said, this isn't a performance part. it's a decorative trunk lid. it wasn't wind tunnel tested and proven to do anything to help the car's performance or anything. it's good that somebody made a replica because the real thing is overpriced anyway, just like most "mad JDM tyte yo" parts. also as someone stated, knockoffs aren't stealing much if any business from Do-Luck because the people who buy the knockoff never would have bought the real thing anyway. if the replica didn't exist, they'd still be rocking stock trunks, or something other than the DO-Luck piece.

what robs sales from companies are the ridiculous prices they charge just for the name they stamp on them. i understand there are fitment issues, but if a replica part is produced that can get within 90-95% of the quality of the original for half the price, i'm all for it. instead of *****ing and complaining, the big companies should cut into their own profits and drop the damn prices.

what's sad are all the idiots who these big companies have brainwashed into thinking that overpaying for overpriced parts is something to be proud of. it's that same mentality that allows dealerships to mark up EVO's (and other performance cars) over sticker because they know some moron out there will pay it because they "respect quality, and are happy to pay whatever price to enjoy this car/part/whatever." that's a load of crap. you don't have to pay out the *** for a good part.

Agreed. $1200 plus a 3 month wait is begging for competition.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Couldn't agree more with what ODUB stated.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Well that's the thing I don't understand (and I do mean that, someone from this field can pipe-up and say that it doesn't work the same) but why not take the Apple business model?

Create a product that everyone and their brother will want, and then sell it for a price that is actually competitive with the amount of competitors that are bound to come?

There-by actually creating a loyalty base and crushing all the other products out there by having something of name-brand quality at a price that doesn't push most of your client-base away?

Just doesn't seem to be smart business, and again I could be off comparing the two fields...

**Edit** I'm not condoning the knock-off, I'm just trying to figure out the mentality/thought-process of the original manufacturers
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a cheaper option available directly from do-luck, and i took it. all of these points being made are why i opted for the frp option. still an authentic part, but for 2/3 the cost of the carbon version, and i was planning on painting it anyways, so who would have really known it was carbon except me and the vendor. not to mention, the frp trunk was light enough to hold up with my little finger, so i cant imagine theres really much of a weight savings with the cf over the frp anyways. and for people saying 800 is still too much for a trunk, if you were to buy brand new decklid and low spoiler from the dealership, you're right there in that 7-800 dollar price range. most of us wont shop at the dealership for stuff like this, but just some numbers to consider...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are millions of prospect computer and mp3 buyers.
There are few prospect Evo X carbon fiber trunk buyers.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fishstix
There are millions of prospect computer and mp3 buyers.
There are few prospect Evo X carbon fiber trunk buyers.
Yes that means your profit margin changes a bit, but it still seems like a quite a bit of an inflated price...

When I had my WRX I had a friend develop a trunk from scratch and was selling them 800 bucks right off the bat (and quality/fitment was top-notch to those that are going to throw quality out there)...

Granted he was in Cali so it wasn't being imported, but their MSRP was 900 vs the 13xx that Do-Luck had theirs at...

Something still seems off even with a smaller profit margin...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MicMcKee
Yes that means your profit margin changes a bit, but it still seems like a quite a bit of an inflated price...

When I had my WRX I had a friend develop a trunk from scratch and was selling them 800 bucks right off the bat (and quality/fitment was top-notch to those that are going to throw quality out there)...

Granted he was in Cali so it wasn't being imported, but their MSRP was 900 vs the 13xx that Do-Luck had theirs at...

Something still seems off even with a smaller profit margin...
Did your friend have a business? Employees and facilities to pay for? Doubtful.

Do-Luck should just do what most companies do and outsource production to a lower cost facility.

Last edited by AWD OWNZ U; Apr 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWD OWNZ U
Did your friend have a business? Employees and facilities to pay for? Doubtful.

Do-Luck should just do what most companies do and outsource production to a lower cost facility.
Not as big as Do-Luck but no it wasn't a garage done job...

He's got a parts business,

And yes having a bigger business means you have a larger overheard, but a good business model doesn't = taking a few products and inflating the prices to compensate...

It means you should have the ability to make them cheaper or branch out to different products to bring in more revenue...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MicMcKee
Not as big as Do-Luck but no it wasn't a garage done job...

He's got a parts business,

And yes having a bigger business means you have a larger overheard, but a good business model doesn't = taking a few products and inflating the prices to compensate...

It means you should have the ability to make them cheaper or branch out to different products to bring in more revenue...
well thats not always the case... there are companies who want to make few products and over inflate the price and keep their stuff top notch. When you hear brands like Do-Luck / ARC / Ralliart ahem ahem, u expect high priced parts but few owners out there..

but then again.. Do-Luck should have done better patents n stuff to try prevent replicas for a few years. they need to just suck it up now
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tvieira24
This.

I'm not against replicas, I'm against bad quality. It's bad enough 99% of aftermarket body parts never fit like OEM. I'd rather stick with the OEM trunk rather than a trunk where the body lines don't match and the lights are off.
That's one of my main reasons why I haven't purchase after market body parts for any of the evos I've had in the past.
I don't mind spending the cash $$$$ if things fit oem; however if things cost an arm and a leg and fitment isn't guarantee what good is it whether is a jdm brand or not ??
Its ashame that a good amount of years have past since the Evo was introduce in the States and nobody can guarantee after marketing fitment. Some parts whether their a high brand or not are a PITA!!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

We all have different opinions about replicas and Name brands, just like some girls prefer to have a knock off Louis V purse over a real one. In my opinion, if i can afford to pay the real thing, i buy it, yeah I'm a sucker, but i like to pay for quality and fitment. If and when i do order my Trunk and it isn't up to my expectations, your damn sure I'm going to throw a ***** fit.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Consider pricing stragetgy for exact same product from exact same company.

Product A cost X to make minium profit set to = $900, Total Price $1200

Product A cost X to make minimum profit set to = $500, Total Price $800

At $1200 company sales 5 units =ing $4,500
At $800 company sales 5 units =ing $2,500

At first look pricing strategy looks like a no brainer. Now consider that at 800 you kill the competition becuase you are offeing a better product at same price. With competitor out of the picture you have now gained their business interest and instead of 5 units a 800 you sold 10 units at 800 =ing $5000. Your profit margin per unit declines but your overall income increased. Granted assumptions make an *** out of you and me but if you compete with your competitor people will buy the better product all other factors being =