Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gas mileage after big turbo upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newcomer81
65 mph average speed for the whole thing. there is a long stretch of 55mph roads that brought the average speed down. i usually drive 10 over on the highways. i stopped 4 times for coffee, other than that i was stoked to see i make the whole trip without getting gas.
300 for a tank is not bad. On my stocker I got about 255-265 mostly highway. I'm curious to see what the guys with the 35R are getting? Specially the 3586.... Let's see if someone with this setup can chime in.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'm still trying to get over the fact you drive 231 round trip. What do you do if you dont mind me asking...?

Thinking back on it, these guys sound about right, if your not boosting you'll probably get some better mileage, i talked to a shop the yesterday and they said that even w/o a turbo upgrade you'll get better mpg. I think stock A/F is 9:2 if I remember correctly. As long as your not dumping fuel i guess you'd be ok.

Another thing thing tho is, if you upgrade turbo's, dont you need larger injectors? Wouldn't this put more fuel into the cylinder for the bigger turbo? So essentially you'd still be using a lot of fuel?

What about water/alcohol injectors? Does anyone have these and get better mileage? Thinking on it, if your adding water/alcohol into the cylinder, it should require less fuel = better mpg with a larger turbo. Sorry just throwing thoughts out there...
Old Apr 11, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TruSlide
Thinking back on it, these guys sound about right, if your not boosting you'll probably get some better mileage, i talked to a shop the yesterday and they said that even w/o a turbo upgrade you'll get better mpg. I think stock A/F is 9:2 if I remember correctly. As long as your not dumping fuel i guess you'd be ok.
That is essentially the name of the game. Staying out of boost is so essential to your MPS's. I do not know the stock afr for the x however its definitely going to be rich. A proper tune will help your out in this case whether you have added parts or just want to optimize your stock setup.

Another thing thing tho is, if you upgrade turbo's, dont you need larger injectors? Wouldn't this put more fuel into the cylinder for the bigger turbo? So essentially you'd still be using a lot of fuel?

This is where injector scaling comes into play. They can flow more but at the same time if they are properly dialed in they dont just dump in unwanted fuel.

What about water/alcohol injectors? Does anyone have these and get better mileage? Thinking on it, if your adding water/alcohol into the cylinder, it should require less fuel = better mpg with a larger turbo. Sorry just throwing thoughts out there...
When using injection whether its alcohol of water or methanol they all help to reduce temperatures in the combustion chamber. With that being said you can run the car leaner. Most injection systems are triggered on at a certain throttle percentage or boost threshold so if you are driving efficiently you wouldnt even be injecting. If you like to take spirited drives a lot then a kit may help your gas millage. At the same time you will need to fill the tank with meth for example and that isnt free so you should factor that cost in.
Just my .02

Last edited by heel2toe; Apr 11, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

^ with all these .02, things are starting to add up. lol. thanks for the clarification (for me at least)
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TruSlide
I'm still trying to get over the fact you drive 231 round trip. What do you do if you dont mind me asking...?

problem is that I work at JFK. i'm an aircraft engineer but I live in the poconos=230 round trip daily x 4 days a week.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Heel2toe: Everything you said is true based on my personal experience (with hondas at least). I would just love to get some real facts, from the guys with the 35r turbos. I am almost certain that a properly tuned one, and driving below 4000 rpms should get around 30 mpg at least (if they are still on a 2.0 litter bottom end)
Old Apr 11, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

I am almost certain that a properly tuned one, and driving below 4000 rpms should get around 30 mpg at least (if they are still on a 2.0 litter bottom end)
There's a couple other Evo X fuel mileage threads, and HiBoost (his forum name) has done a lot of extensive testing and tuning to squeeze the most out of his gas mileage. He MIGHT be getting near 30MPG, but it required a lot of work; IIRC, he is/was running a GT30 setup of some sort.

Everyone else, though, without his tuning tweaks at cruise speed, seem to be basically at ~22-24MPG, no matter the turbo set up.

I went ~1500 miles round trip, 70-80MPH, and got, again, like before, heh, 22MPG on the dot. I'm not nearly smart enough/skilled enough to tweak anything to get better on the highway

Well, you only spray at a certain PSI; you're not spraying constantly. Mine is set to begin spraying at about 10lbs; by that point, I'm clearly not shooting for mileage, and your MPGs are going to be horrid under boost, no matter what. I'm REPLACING fuel, under boost, but I can't imagine it's enough to have any sort of impact on fuel mileage, given the circumstances.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=hotdog;8188327]There's a couple other Evo X fuel mileage threads, and HiBoost (his forum name) has done a lot of extensive testing and tuning to squeeze the most out of his gas mileage. He MIGHT be getting near 30MPG, but it required a lot of work; IIRC, he is/was running a GT30 setup of some....

Cool thanks I'm gonna check out some of his threads. I think I'm gonna go ahead and do a 35 or even a 37R with the goal of increasing the mpg to at least +30, and make ***** more power . I calculated my year savings to be $1996.8 (gas at $3.20). If gas goes up to $5 (worse case scenario) I can save $3120.0 A year!!!! So the turbo upgrade should pay itself off in about 3-4 years...
What do you fellas think, my wife will buy it or stab me in my sleep lol. I think I'm gonna get stabbed....
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jonnyblaze81
Just curious as to what kind of gas mileage are we getting after a bigger turbo upgrade? I figured that if I can find a good enough "excuse" for my wife.... I can go to sleep without having to be worried about getting stabbed while I sleep lol!
I do a commute of about 230 miles a day, so a good saving should do the trick
dude 230 miles? you should move! thats like what a 3 and a half hour trip every day?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Hah, or buy a TDI
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonnyblaze81
Heel2toe: Everything you said is true based on my personal experience (with hondas at least). I would just love to get some real facts, from the guys with the 35r turbos. I am almost certain that a properly tuned one, and driving below 4000 rpms should get around 30 mpg at least (if they are still on a 2.0 litter bottom end)
I understand completely and I am sure there are some big turbo guys out there who could chime in. Everything I said was based off what I have read over the past couple of years so I have no first hand experience unfortunately.

FWIW turbos help to atomize the air going into the combustion chamber so I wonder if a larger turbo does that better than a smaller turbo. Personally I think the biggest factor with regards to gaining MPG's with a larger turbo is the increased lag. So with that being said, I think gas millage is mostly affected by your right foot. It takes a talented driver to keep the car out of boost. My car spools so quickly and its just too much fun for me to stay out of boost
Old Apr 11, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JHizzle
dude 230 miles? you should move! thats like what a 3 and a half hour trip every day?
Yeah something like that, lol. It's a good thing I love to drive . The issue with living I'm NYC is that you can't get a house like in PA for that price. NYC is too overpriced hommie.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

When I upgraded, it resulted in 2 liters less per 100km (60 miles) in normal driving.

oops, just noticed you were looking for input from 35r setups...
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have a built 2.0 with a 37r and i get way better gas mileage when i dont boost i get like 30 now
Old Apr 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alwaysboostin
I have a built 2.0 with a 37r and i get way better gas mileage when i dont boost i get like 30 now
hahaha I knew it!!! There's the proof! Thanks bro!

Quick Reply: Gas mileage after big turbo upgrade?