Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

buy evo in usa or can?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I am not up to date on Canadian import laws; but don't you have to convert your dash to kilometers and perhaps some other things? I don't think you can just walk in to the registration office and say you want some Canadian plates while you have a US title.

It was more than 10 years ago when I looked into something like that while I was in Vancouver... I think I was trying to get an Eclipse GSX!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Horde X
buy us spec the canada have the ugly bumper imo

Again, the 2010 Canadian market cars have the same bumpers as the US.

Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:54 PM

Haha, it is but still cheaper than having to pay full price for the same car in Canada.

Originally Posted by HaloReaching
Yup, 6.1% duty is a pain to pay.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 01:56 PM

As for the dash being in km/h, no change is necessary as the Evo X's from the states have the dash in mp/h as well as km/h. As long as the car has km/h showing in the gauge it's fine. If it did not then you would have to make that change to the dash. But nothing needs to be done in terms of dash for an Evo X.

For a 2010 I know there are some minor changes that need to be made. For an 08 no changes need to be made. The RIV website will tell you exactly what needs to be done in terms of modification. But if you're getting a 2010 from the states you can just have the dealership add the modifications necessary before you buy the car as part of the deal.

Originally Posted by kgmm
Maybe I am not up to date on Canadian import laws; but don't you have to convert your dash to kilometers and perhaps some other things? I don't think you can just walk in to the registration office and say you want some Canadian plates while you have a US title.

It was more than 10 years ago when I looked into something like that while I was in Vancouver... I think I was trying to get an Eclipse GSX!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 12:36 AM

34k? thats pretty darn cheap, esp when the dollar is on par. Did you test drove it there? this is with the duty tax and all right?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:54 AM

Haha, yeah i'm happy with it. Had I bought the same car now it'd be 32K since the dollar is on par. I bought in december when the dollar was .94. Which is still pretty good. Yup, that was tax all in including my cost to ship from Cali to Blaine, WA.

I actually did not test drive it LOL. I found it online and used a 3rd party company to check it out (CarChex) as well as the carfax history report. I got it used with 17K miles on it. Plus the car was WW, couldn't find the same color here. The car was in great condition. No problems thus far.

Originally Posted by sekin67835
34k? thats pretty darn cheap, esp when the dollar is on par. Did you test drove it there? this is with the duty tax and all right?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:40 AM

hmm do you know how much was a new one? i want to do the breaking in myself. i am planning to go for a WW too . They are so sexy
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:51 AM

It's really dependent on what you can bargain for it out the door price. Someone from Toronto was able to get one out the door for 33K. Factor PST/GST and Duty, it comes to 37.3K. Now whether you'll be able to bargain that price is another question. The further south you travel the better the deals are usually. You can use the following import calculator to calculate your costs. http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/. It's kept up to date with the change in the canadian dollar as well (pretty useful).

Remember the price your able to bargain for is pretty much the price you'll have to pay (i.e. you don't need to pay any of the US state taxes since you are importing the car) you pay the PST/GST and duty during the import process.

Originally Posted by sekin67835
hmm do you know how much was a new one? i want to do the breaking in myself. i am planning to go for a WW too . They are so sexy

Last edited by scorpeus401; Apr 16, 2010 at 08:57 AM.