Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

buy evo in usa or can?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy evo in usa or can?

hi,

i live in canada vancouver, and i was price for evo x here are outrageous. If i get one from seattle, will it be cheaper with all the border taxes and stuff?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
ur best bet is to ask this specific question in the canadian forums.
GL!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/canadian-forum-63/
Old Apr 12, 2010, 03:58 PM

I bought my car in the states. But i had it shipped from Cali to Washington. In the long run it'll be cheaper if you can find a good deal. Plus they have different features in the US that can't be had in Canada, such as the SSS package on the GSR.

Just keep in mind that you will have to pay 6.1% duty and the GST at the border, and when you go to register the car you will have to pay the PST.

Last edited by scorpeus401; Apr 12, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:57 PM

i would definately like the sss on the gsr. (although i don't want my family to drive the car ^^) any other features that beats canada? I checked the MR 6-8 months ago and the 2009 model was 47.5k MSRP. and the sales person was very unhelpful
Old Apr 13, 2010, 09:28 AM

Well you can also get the Aero body kit as well, I haven't seen to many in Canada with that kit, it's more expensive in Canada for sure. If your strictly looking at the MR the options don't differ too greatly. The Canada version is available with sunroof, I believe the US don't have the sunroof option. The major difference is just the price. Also keep in mind that the warranty will not be honored by Mitsubishi if you import the car. But if you plan on modding the car that really doesn't make too much of a difference anyways.

The GSR's in Canada do not have HIDs, which is pretty annoying as this should be standard on a car for the asking price in Canada. That's why SSS package would have been nice.

The only other thing I notice is that there are way more Evo X choices in the states then in Canada. You'll be able to find the car you want, as opposed to the few choices kicking around in Vancouver at a high price.

Last edited by scorpeus401; Apr 13, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Buy it from the states, its not like you won't mod your evo, and if you do, it is not like the dealers are going to give warranty to your car!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:55 AM

I think the warranty discussion is rediculous. I have an MR and had some very expensive work covered with no hassle. A bill that would have cost over $8000 all-in. I am VERY grateful I have a canadian car with a canadian warranty, as having the car towed down to the states to get the work done would have been expensive and ****ty. I would suggest you try to barter with the dealership that has a car you want as best you can, then see what the difference is actually going to be, but beware there is always a benefit that goes along with the cost of buying from a local dealer... SERVICE!!!! If your service department likes you and respects you, you can go a long way in getting things accomplished.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by sekin67835
any other features that beats canada?
The rear diffuser on the USA Evo doesn't stick out another inch or so like they do in Canada.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:48 PM

They don't in Canada anymore now. Only 08 models.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:53 PM

Again, its really up to what you plan on doing with the car. If you plan on modding your car the warranty is going to end up getting voided anyways. In other cases like RallyCanada something could potentially go wrong and the warranty work essentially negates the savings that you could have potentially saved. It's really up to you. Run the risk of potentially needing warranty work. But needing work done under warranty doesn't necessarily happen to everyone. I've only had my car a few months and nothing has gone wrong so far. I've read other stories where they've had nightmares just dealing with issues in their car, and others whose car has run fine with just regular maintenance needed. I myself saved 10k buying down the states. Plus i plan to heavily mod the car in the future so the warranty in my case would have been void regardless LOL. Plus an extra 10k in your pocket isn't too bad a thing. Even if I had to pay 8k in warranty work, i'd still be up 2k . But that's not to say something bad couldn't happen down the line.

Either way the choice is up to you.

Originally Posted by RallyCanada
I think the warranty discussion is rediculous. I have an MR and had some very expensive work covered with no hassle. A bill that would have cost over $8000 all-in. I am VERY grateful I have a canadian car with a canadian warranty, as having the car towed down to the states to get the work done would have been expensive and ****ty. I would suggest you try to barter with the dealership that has a car you want as best you can, then see what the difference is actually going to be, but beware there is always a benefit that goes along with the cost of buying from a local dealer... SERVICE!!!! If your service department likes you and respects you, you can go a long way in getting things accomplished.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:13 AM

scorpeus401, where did you find your EVO in the states? seattle? i want to find a close place so if there were any recalls or if things do break down, it wouldn't be "that" much of a hassle. Plus how much did it cost with all the taxes?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:07 AM

I'm a little confused. How are you going to bring the car back down to the states for warranty work, when you're sporting an Ontario or BC license plate? I doubt they'll honor it.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:04 AM

Yes, to make it clear it doesn't matter if you bring it down to the states after you have imported it. They will not do any warranty work. Your warranty is void at this point regardless if you bring it back to the states. You can however have recalls done in Canada if there are any new recalls that arise (because by law they cannot refuse to do recall work), but before being allowed to import the car all recall work must be completed beforehand.

I bought my car in California and had it shipped to Washington close to the pacific crossing. At that point i just picked it up and drove it back. After it was all said and done I had spend 34K total which includes the cost of shipping.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by scorpeus401
I bought my car in the states. But i had it shipped from Cali to Washington. In the long run it'll be cheaper if you can find a good deal. Car Electronics Plus they have different features in the US that can't be had in Canada, such as the SSS package on the GSR.

Just keep in mind that you will have to pay 6.1% duty and the GST at the border, and when you go to register the car you will have to pay the PST.
Yup, 6.1% duty is a pain to pay.

Last edited by HaloReaching; Apr 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:36 AM

buy us spec the canada have the ugly bumper imo