Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Repainting an EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repainting an EVO X

Obviously the EVO X Paint is horrible (Not sure about other years as this is my first EVO) I have a bunch of chips that will need to be addressed down the road. I also rethink my color choice everyday (Black) and partially want a different color. Black is so hard to maintain. Has anyone repainted their Evo X? If so how much does it normally run and where did you go? Eventually I will be repainting and was just curious! Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

An all over paint job with jamb color change runs around $5000 or more where I work at. But it's going to come out flawless and with a lifetime warranty against defects. Obviously we don't cover rock chips, but our paint kicks ***. I had to have my quarter/rear door redone after a drunk driver got me. The door we painted? 3 tiny chips in over a year. The other door with OE paint? Looks like a planetarium exhibition. Just remember, you will definately get what you pay for in paint work.

Last edited by CC16; Apr 21, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed with the 'you get what you pay for' in paint. I have my old truck that I had repainted by Maaco, and while it was super cheap, and it looks great, it's not perfect. Although, here's what's sad. The ghetto paint on my truck seems to be FAR better than the paint on the Evo. Not a single chip on the Truck since I got it painted (about 2 months after I bought the Evo) but the Evo looks like someone beat it with a sand truck.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
Agreed with the 'you get what you pay for' in paint. I have my old truck that I had repainted by Maaco, and while it was super cheap, and it looks great, it's not perfect. Although, here's what's sad. The ghetto paint on my truck seems to be FAR better than the paint on the Evo. Not a single chip on the Truck since I got it painted (about 2 months after I bought the Evo) but the Evo looks like someone beat it with a sand truck.
Yeah, but I would guess you drive the Evo more than the truck right?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi paint is garbage, they need slapped across the face numerous times for ever putting such utter trash on their top of the line vehicle! My 87's factory paint job is in better condition than most EVO X's on the road at the moment!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Yeah, but I would guess you drive the Evo more than the truck right?
Actually his EVO been in and out of the shop for about a year....
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Maaco is single-stage paint. Which is the paint color and clear mixed as one instead of applied seperately. It's thicker and thus doesn't chip quite as easily. However, Maaco should never be considered to paint a car like the Evo, that'd be a serious juvenile injustice to the car (and I know webman wasnt suggesting that at all, im just saying).

If you're going to repaint go to a very reputable shop and ask what kind of paint they use. Most all higher-end shops use Sikkens or a DuPont brand quality stuff along with some using PPG. Here we use Standox (Managed by DuPont, but a seperate entity. It's German) which is a top-tier paint. Make sure they paint the car Base-coat/clear-coat like factory and 95% of all cars nowadays. It's coke vs pepsi vs dr pepper, with PPG, Sikkens, DuPont. Obviously I'm partial to Standox and we have less than 1% comebacks on the product.

EDIT: Useful link on things paint related.

Last edited by CC16; Apr 21, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have chips all over my hood and some on my a pillar, its killing me. I want to keep my car for a while and I def want it to look mint.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
I have chips all over my hood and some on my a pillar, its killing me. I want to keep my car for a while and I def want it to look mint.
I feel you. Exactly why I'm repainting my hood when I do some other paint work. Easiest way to avoid painting all over and to fix chips is buff/touch up. I don't mean just dumping paint on a chip. If you have access to a buffer you can do this yourself, but you need to be experienced. Get the correct paint for it, through mitsu or a local paintshop can sometimes make touchup bottles for a fee.

- Dab the paint onto the chip and allow it to dry, shouldnt take more than a minute or 2.
- Dab a little clearcoat or nail polish in it. Again, allow it to try, will take a little longer.
- Wetsand the area to get rid of the overlap with the 2000/2500 wetsand paper. The chip should have color and a little clear in it now.
- Use compound and buff the area and polish it back.

It won't be perfect, but it'll look better than a gaping white spec on the paint. I'll try to make a "How-To" with pictures sometime this coming week
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CC16
I'll try to make a "How-To" with pictures sometime this coming week

That would be cool! I also assume the touch up paint/clear should be ever so slightly raised above the surface prior to wet sanding, then sand even.... right?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Ill be doing a full repaint of my evo and new body kit in the next month or so. It'll be fun!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Just get a Vinyl stickering job for a lot less, and call it a day. Your car will be more unique and it adds 25 WHP..............in your mind.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:50 AM

do a complete body vinyl wrap!!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah if I ever get it repainted, clear bra is going all over
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

I want BMW paint on my car if I get that far before I sell it.

Quick Reply: Repainting an EVO X