Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why don't more Evo drivers try out Rally Racing their cars?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't more Evo drivers try out Rally Racing their cars?

It seems that everyone is focused on the one thing the Evo isn't even meant to do and that is drag racing. It's cool and the amount of power guys get from these cars is amazing, but it's a straight line, down a track... same thing over and over. Now I do realize that doing some Rally Racing is hard on the car, and that most here (myself included want to keep their paint) but i'm just wondering... post some road course, or Auto X stuff and let us know how the Evo is stacking up against other cars on these types of tracks.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 01:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a lot more quarter mile run ways around than road courses for people to drive on, is one reason.

Plus, it's cheaper.

Plus, it's quicker.

Plus, it gives us a number that's easily understood by all; 10 seconds, 11 seconds, 12 seconds, etc.

That being said, I'd love to go Auto-Xing or Road Coursing some day, and always find the pictures and posts entertaining.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

ha i read a statistic somewhere that most rallys average a crash every 3 laps???? maybe thats one reason... It's hard to do "legal" rallying or road racing because like it was mentioned, theres not a lot of places to do it. We all rip on canyon runs from time to time, but it's against forum policy to talk about such things. With that being said, I would recommend you check out the Time Attack results to see who is top dog on street courses.

http://minds-farm.blogspot.com/2010/...nge-day-2.html
Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

I prefer school zones at 2:30PM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 03:32 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
Plus, it's cheaper.

Plus, it's quicker.
Plus, it's a lot easier. Virtually anyone can pin the throttle in a straight line, but manipulating acceleration/deceleration/cornering isn't as simple.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdog
I prefer school zones at 2:30PM.
lmfao
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:15 AM

I did autocross once in my EVO and a few times in my Talon. The only reason I don't care to do it anymore is because there is too much down time for me.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I strongly recommend people go and try out an autocross and HPDE event (if new, go to a club that offers lots of one-on-one instruction) you will be a better driver for it.

Seat time per run:
Drag: 10-14 seconds
AX: 40-120 seconds
HPDE: 1200 seconds (20 mins)

Costs (Entry/second for one session or lap):
Drag: $20/13s = $1.50 per second
AX: $50/60s = $0.85 per second
HPDE: $225/1200s = $0.18 per second

In the end, costs are really all about the same.

Last edited by Smike; Jun 2, 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Plus, it's a lot easier. Virtually anyone can pin the throttle in a straight line, but manipulating acceleration/deceleration/cornering isn't as simple.
To get decent results it's probably easier, but to get that 1.5x short time and not break the car and pull a great ET for the MPH is a bit harder. Also getting consistant and repeatable results is more difficult as well, some people can knock off similar times within a .1 sec from run to run, others need to make 10 passes and maybe one all lines up with launching, shifting, and no issues go wrong with the car. My only beef with drag racing is that on busy nights you sit in line for 45-60 minutes between runs if you are lucky so realistically you can only get 3-5 runs in for the night which means your track time is pretty limited. Driveline parts the most punished but quite a bit has to do with power levels and how abusive the driver is to the car.

Auto-X is fun but the wait times can also be pretty dismal considering the entire day you are there you get 3-4 timed runs totaling around a minute per run depending on course length. It's a good way to feel out the handling limits of the car at sane speeds that usually don't top 60-80 mph depending on run off area. If the site doesn't have the room to safely lay out a balanced course you are usually spooling the turbo more than actually running at full boost which can be a bit frustrating. Provided you don't overdrive the car too badly the chance of car damage is low but tire wear is pretty significant.

Rally racing is a bit harder on the car and there is more potential for damage but it definitely can be a ton of fun. I know a friend that has an Evo but he runs rally stuff locally with his Sti and beats the snot out of that car. You definitely have to accept some wear and abuse to be competitive.

Road racing probably has the most seat time in HPDE events with likely around 80+ minutes per track day, Time attacks are good as well where you are balancing practive laps and all out timed laps with how long the car can survive at a certain power level. Tires and brakes are the biggest wear items but you also better make sure your car is in top shape to survive longer sessions without issues as any weakness can be exposed and cause all kinds of damage from headgasket failures from overheating to losing a suspension or braking component at the wrong time causing a crash.

Basically they all have their positives and a few negatives in my book but the Evo X definitely isn't a straightline drag car platform given it's somewhat heavier starting weight but it can do many things well with the right setup.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 06:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
To get decent results it's probably easier, but to get that 1.5x short time and not break the car and pull a great ET for the MPH is a bit harder. Also getting consistant and repeatable results is more difficult as well, some people can knock off similar times within a .1 sec from run to run, others need to make 10 passes and maybe one all lines up with launching, shifting, and no issues go wrong with the car. My only beef with drag racing is that on busy nights you sit in line for 45-60 minutes between runs if you are lucky so realistically you can only get 3-5 runs in for the night which means your track time is pretty limited. Driveline parts the most punished but quite a bit has to do with power levels and how abusive the driver is to the car.
Of course, you're right on all accounts. I didn't mean to make it sound like (serious, for a lack of a better word) drag racing is easy. It's not.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:01 AM

i live on a farm once i get my evo i might rally through the fields like we used to with my buddies 07 wrx and 91 talon tsi nothin like making a 100 ft. cloud of dust behind you and scaring the **** out of deer <Redneck
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:10 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek
i live on a farm once i get my evo i might rally through the fields like we used to with my buddies 07 wrx and 91 talon tsi nothin like making a 100 ft. cloud of dust behind you and scaring the **** out of deer <Redneck
[OT] Years ago, a friend and I used to run a VW Thing on an abandoned airfield. Amazing fun! [/OT]
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:20 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
It seems that everyone is focused on the one thing the Evo isn't even meant to do and that is drag racing. It's cool and the amount of power guys get from these cars is amazing, but it's a straight line, down a track... same thing over and over. Now I do realize that doing some Rally Racing is hard on the car, and that most here (myself included want to keep their paint) but i'm just wondering... post some road course, or Auto X stuff and let us know how the Evo is stacking up against other cars on these types of tracks.

Are you talking about rally racing (which is off-road) or are you talking about racing on tarmac?

There are plenty of members who race on tarmac (autox or road course). Go to any racetrack during an HPDE or amateur racing event or go to an autox event on any given weekend, and you're bound to see Evos out on the track.

Rally racing? Well, there aren't many members who do it because of the cost and wear & tear on the car. Plus, you need an entirely different set up for rally racing and the car comes from the factory set up to race on tarmac.

Last edited by atombomb33; Jun 2, 2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I strongly recommend people go and try out an autocross and HPDE event (if new, go to a club that offers lots of one-on-one instruction) you will be a better driver for it.

Seat time per run:
Drag: 10-14 seconds
AX: 40-120 seconds
HPDE: 1200 seconds (20 mins)

Costs (Entry/second for one session or lap):
Drag: $20/13s = $1.50 per second
AX: $50/60s = $0.85 per second
HPDE: $225/1200s = $0.18 per second

In the end, costs are really all about the same.

nice info for those of us that dont have autox or roadcoursing near us
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33
Are you talking about rally racing (which is off-road) or are you talking about racing on tarmac?
Im thinking he is meaning all fourms excluding drag of course

Quick Reply: Why don't more Evo drivers try out Rally Racing their cars?