Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Will I need a tune after an AEM Intake?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I need a tune after an AEM Intake?

Hey guys,

Well i'm planning on my first mod and im leaning towards an intake. I been reading about drop-ins and had the K&N filter in mind. After reading about the MAF and the oil problems, i have decided on the AEM CAI. Also, im not sure if my car has had its dealership reflash (bought car used, will call dealer Monday) and was wondering will it still be safe to run the new flash and the CAI together since the new flash is leaner correct?

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Its always safe to run a tune with an intake, even though some companies claim its not necessary. As far as K&N, I ran one for a couple thousand miles and there are people on here that have run them much much longer than that and have not had any issues with MAF. If you want to be safe, just make sure you dont overdue it with the oil when cleaning and wipe the excess oil off when you get it out of the box. Otherwise, go with a dry panel filter, WORKS, Perrin, HKS, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

It really depends what you consider as "safe". The stock tune is really accommodating with aftermarket parts, though.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackygor
It really depends what you consider as "safe". The stock tune is really accommodating with aftermarket parts, though.
yeah...as long as it can choke off boost when it believes there's something wrong.

but i've known a few stories here and there that failed because the car can't handle the extra boost without the tune.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Is there any way that the dealer can pick up that i got a tune? Lets say i re-flashed the car with the stock tune before i brought it in, can they tell that i got tuned? I just got the car, so i would like to keep my warranty for a little longer just to make sure the car runs without any problems for some time. Thanks!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Yes you need a tune with the AEM intake because it changes the MAF readings substantially. Also, because of the vacuum lines are changed on this particular intake, your boost has changed as well.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

dont mean to thread jack or anything. But im getting tuned august 10th at noon. Im 50-50 whether or not to install my own AEM CAI i currently have sitting beside me.

How hard is this thing to install? My plan is to show upto th tuner 1.5 hrs early with a buddy and hopefully have it installed for my noon appt.

Question 2 : I have the cobb turbo inlet hose, i plan on replacing the aem one because it looks aweful and isnt even smooth inside like the beautiful cobb piece. So being as i have both inlet hoses, the cobb uses 1 hose and the aem uses 2 vac lines. Will i just T these two together for the cobb and hook her to the aem box and be good?

sorry for thread jack im sure others would like to know this as well. I havent been able to find this exact anwser
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
either way you will probably end up with a tune anyways lol
a good tune is always a good idea, considering they are pretty cheap
we offer a few tunes
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/e...ng-c-4348.html

-anthony
Old Aug 3, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

i had the aem intake + exhaust. went to get it tuned and my tuner found that the car was knocking very heavily and had some other issues (though i did not feel any problems myself driving around). and not only that, it didn't even make much power over stock. so, yes, you'll need to get it tuned not just for safety, but also to get the performance associated with the mod. after tuning it went from 260whp -> ~300 (this is an mr--gsr would be significantly more).
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

^ Thank you for your input. I think i will settle with a K&N panel filter for now until i have all bolt-on's ready for a tune.

Do you guys think the latest dealer reflash with a drop-in be ok?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

My car runs fine and sounds nice with just the drop in. Power delivery is a little smoother and you can now faintly here the turbo spool and bov.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:02 AM

I have the AEM, a boost pill, and a tune and reached 315 awhp & 337 awtq. Then for the heck of it, took the lid off and GAINED 15 more awhp & awtq.

The car is a beast and top end in 5th, can't be beat.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mag00n
My car runs fine and sounds nice with just the drop in. Power delivery is a little smoother and you can now faintly here the turbo spool and bov.
Same here when I was running just the K&N drop-in. The BOV will be very very audible.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Nice to hear about the AEM, i just bought a AFE dry panel so i feel that i gatta use it now, or else its a waste of $ lol..ill most likely get a CBE, Intake, UICP, Wideband and a Tune within the next few months.. :crossesfingers:
Old Aug 5, 2010, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you have a wideband installed? I was told to keep an eye on that while WOT and as long as I'm not in the 12's it would be ok until i get tuned. I do recommend a tune, tho.
The following users liked this post:
William Watson (May 24, 2019)

Quick Reply: Will I need a tune after an AEM Intake?