Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Confessions from a formerly blind SST hater

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree the SST is an awesome piece of technology and perfect for me. I had a chance to take my SE to an AutoX event on the last day of their season and with the car in S-Sport mode and using the launch control I came in 2nd and I haven't raced in 2 years and had only driven the Evo for 2 weeks a that point. It shifts so fast and maintains boost during the whole run and it allowed me to just focus on the line and make smooth transitions - really fun!

And I think Mitsubishi improved the Normal mode in the 2010 models from the 2008's. I test drove a 2008 when they first came out and in Normal mode the shifts where really firm and the car came up on boost so quickly that I found it to be tricky to drive smoothly in traffic. In my 2010, the Normal mode almost feels like a standard "slushbox" where the shifts are just barely noticeable and power delivery, while muted, is more linear and the car is very easy and comfortable to drive around town all day long.

I too am little concerned about longevity and cost of the SST, but Mitsubishi typically builds reliable cars and as mentioned above, hopefully the aftermarket will get better and better with this thing in the near future. Overall, I'd highly recommend one!

Brandon
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's refreshing to see an honest evaluation from someone that actaully tried the transmission. I get so tired of the 'Automatics suck', 'Automatics are for sissy's' talk from people that haven't even tried the TC-SST. I get that it's not for everyone but for the people that want it it's an excellent transmission and I'm just glad that Mitsubishi gives us a choice.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
It's refreshing to see an honest evaluation from someone that actaully tried the transmission. I get so tired of the 'Automatics suck', 'Automatics are for sissy's' talk from people that haven't even tried the TC-SST. I get that it's not for everyone but for the people that want it it's an excellent transmission and I'm just glad that Mitsubishi gives us a choice.
"I get that it's not for everyone but for the people that want it it's an excellent transmission and I'm just glad that Mitsubishi gives us a choice"

and that is a truth. The SST is a great choice for those who dont want to be in a race mode all the time. Way better, and i can bravely say it , not even a same class to be in with this choice, what they offered before with the GT-A versions.
The SST is a true evo trans mission vs the GT-A one's.
The CZ4A really stepped up on that field vs the CT9A or older versions. That option was actually embarrasing for the Evo line and name.
The SST is not.
Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

everytime i drive my car i thank mitsu for offering this tranny. its quite simply the best DCT you can drive under 40k...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Ain't no way that is happening... ever. Wife can't drive this one, but she could drive an MR. I'd have door dings, curbed wheels, or both inside of a month.
Yeah, making it easier for my wife to dig a ride in is NOT a benefit. I am just trying to get my own GSR shifts as smooth. But I am still betting against the SST's long term ownership costs being so state-of-the-art, compared to the 5MT. If the SST had been around in the VIII and IX and had developed a strong rep, I'd have considered it seriously. But heck, the 4B11T was a gamble in itself, not having much data on "bullet proof" or "lemon".

Now, my Evo XII might come with the SST
Old Nov 3, 2010, 01:44 PM
Account Disabled

Very true, auto dual clutch trannies will outperform any human shifts, although there is no free lunch... IMO you get less involved in driving and even though you have shifters it doesn't feel the same and in the end you let a computer to shift for you. I personally had auto trannies and paddle shifters for many years and it never felt right for to shift with them.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blonde
lol, one of the main reasons i ended up going with the gsr is because my wife can't drive it so i know exactly where you are coming from. Nobody in my family drives manual so the gsr is perfect for that
+1
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

This is what im talking about. There is a stigma about automatic SST evos but once you actually drive it, youd change your mind! Its a blast to drive! Its just one of those things where you have to drive it to appriciate it.

Anyways, thank you for the review.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:49 PM

Noize, so you said that you immediately put the transmission into S-Sport mode, but were you in automatic or manual? It sounds like you were in manual mode as well when you talk about "letting the engine warm up". When in S-Sport and fully automatic, the car will red-line shift every time.

I took my three week old X SE to my very first track day and it was nice not having to worry about shifting and instead being able to concentrate on learning the lines.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

And that's the thing with SSTs. Mitsu introduced them to a market where very few would keep their cars stock and the current costs associated with the new tranny scare most away. Even after trying it, giving it praise, you would still buy the GSR out of fear. That to me wasn't and still isn't the correct method of broadening the potential buyers market. I for one still dislike the SST, and am hopeful for 5MT swap packages in the future!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Damn, this is making me want to test drive an MR when I get home.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:05 PM

I gotta say. I'm a die hard stick fan. Just love the clutch and manual shifting.

I hate the fact that the new Ferrari 458 doesn't come in a manual.

BUT. I've been lucky enough to be driving a 2010 MR around here and there lately and I gotta say the SST transmission is very extremely amazing. It makes me wonder why I like a clutch.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

I am glad you gave SST a chance, it is truly an amazing transmission. Since it is still relatively new for the aftermarket guys, there still are limitations that needs to be over come in order to make it as serviceable as the manual counter part. Such is the dilemma between old school proven technology and new technology.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 04:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin77
Noize, so you said that you immediately put the transmission into S-Sport mode, but were you in automatic or manual? It sounds like you were in manual mode as well when you talk about "letting the engine warm up". When in S-Sport and fully automatic, the car will red-line shift every time.

I took my three week old X SE to my very first track day and it was nice not having to worry about shifting and instead being able to concentrate on learning the lines.
I was in manual unbeknowest to me (salesman did it I found out). I figured that out when I whacked the crap out of the rev limiter for a moment before upshifting and going to the next gear. I felt pretty bad about that. I just like the control of being able to tell it what to do on my own.

I never tried it in automatic. I also never tried normal or sport, if I had one it would be s. sport 100% of the time unless I was bumper jammed in traffic on the interstate, LOL.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been a die-hard fan of manuals my whole life, & up until a few months ago I told myself when the day comes for me to get an X, I'd go with a GSR. I'm not so sure anymore.. The first sequential tranny car I drove was an M3 with the SMG, after which I was left on the fence in terms of shift times & the transmission in general. Still waiting to get my hands on a GTR to see how the tranny in that car does. I've driven an X GSR, but the dealer didn't have an MR at that time for me to drive one back to back with the GSR to compare. The only other car with a sequential I have experience with is an F430. That tranny rocks any 5 speed's world!! My goodness, you just want to drive it on the twistiest road that calls for CONSTANT shifting! So smooth! So precise! So exhilirating! My left foot feels anything but bored! I'm sure the smoothness & precision which the SST tranny in the MR would offer would be well worth the price to pay for 2 pedals.

Yes, the SST trans is new to the import tuning community & there's not many companies that are working to provide high power solutions (ShepTrans & SSP?). But I don't think that should sway people away from buying the MR. The upgrades will come with time. As far as the costs go... please. If you make enough dough to buy an MR, please stop whining about the cost of upgrading that transmission. Factor in the cost of what you'd spend upgrading the GSR tranny, add a bit more for the added convenience & precision offered by the SST, & you have yourself a tranny that will easily handle several hundred more horses added to the stable! Do it right once, & be done with it. Have a good day!

Quick Reply: Confessions from a formerly blind SST hater