Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

CA ---> MO, In need of Advice.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CA ---> MO, In need of Advice.

So, I tried to look this up but had a tough time making sense of it all through DMV (shocker there!) so heres the situation:

-I will be buying a new Evo X in California in the up coming months.

-I will be moving to Missouri for school sometime in July

-My questions are:

1)Can I buy the car and not register it in Cali, can I register it for Missouri although I'm not a Missouri resident yet?

2)Is there a way to buy the car here in Cali and AVOID paying the cali tax if I'm gonna be moving to Missouri?

thanks for any help.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think you can register the car if you're not MO resident. I'm pretty sure you pay taxes and do registration depending on your residency.

PS - what part of MO are you moving to and what school?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:08 AM

So, I went through a similar situation not too long ago. I bought the car at the end of April and moved from CA to TX in June. This is what I understood about the process:

If you buy the car in Cali, you have to register the car in Cali. The only exception is if you get a "temporary" registration, which means that after you purchase the car you're required to drive directly out of state to your permanent address (it was described to me as a 1-way ticket out of the state haha). This didn't work for me and doesn't sound like it will for you. So I expect you will have to register in Cali and pay Cali taxes

Even if you were driving directly to MO, I'm pretty sure you cannot register the car in MO if you do not have an address there.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

To bad you can't just hold out a few months and buy the car when you get here. You don't have to deal with emissions standards or concerns about your car being too loud. I just bought mine here, let me know if you need a dealer connection. girlys are hot in central mo... if that's where your going
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Why not buy a bit closer to home, like Don Herring Mitsu in Irving, TX? They offer great deals just like SouthCoast does and they're a forum sponsor too.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titling.php

1) You can register it directly but have 30 days after you purchase to do so, and need to have a residence/address in MO to assign the title and registration to. Property tax waiver is a non issue if this is a new car, and you're a new resident.

2) Not sure about sales taxes. In MO, they are collected by the registration process. I think another poster said you CAN get a one-way ticket out of state in CA when you buy the car via a temp tag thing. I don't really think it would be "one way" permanent since the VIN was originally "ok" for CA regulatory stds. And once you pay sales tax in MO and have residence for a period of time, you don't pay sales tax in CA later if you relocate permanently and move the registration back there.

Last edited by journeymansteve; Nov 17, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

^ What school in MO? Not a lot of Evo's around here in STL. A few, but none at the track, haven't seen one modded with my own eyes just yet.

Vroom vroom!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
http://dor.mo.gov/motorv/titling.php

1) You can register it directly but have 30 days after you purchase to do so, and need to have a residence/address in MO to assign the title and registration to. Property tax waiver is a non issue if this is a new car, and you're a new resident.

2) Not sure about sales taxes. In MO, they are collected by the registration process. I think another poster said you CAN get a one-way ticket out of state in CA when you buy the car via a temp tag thing. I don't really think it would be "one way" permanent since the VIN was originally "ok" for CA regulatory stds. And once you pay sales tax in MO and have residence for a period of time, you don't pay sales tax in CA later if you relocate permanently and move the registration back there.
Couple things, you can get a 'transporter tag' which is a one-way temp tag or just have the dealer give you your 30 day temp tag.

In regards to sales tax and residency, if you plan on titling and plating for Missouri, you will just use your address of where ever you are living now, but you will also need to get your driver's license for Missouri and that will establish residency(http://dor.mo.gov/drivers/checklist.php#resident) When you get here you will need the things listed in the link journey listed above. Including a card saying you do not currently owe any property taxes in Missouri, and insurance and take it to a DOR office.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

If you move to STL, here's the way you get the prop tax waiver. http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/taxes/

If you move to KCMO, here's their links
http://www.claycogov.com/county/offi...ts/faq.php#ppt ("Moving to Clay County")
http://www.jacksongov.org/content/33...2.aspx#sixteen

This is actually easier in MO than it used to be; I learned it well back in the day you had to get a waiver for EVERY NEW CAR, which was a PITA. Once you're on the "tax rolls" (mentioned in each county in MO), you're cool, you can go from county to county and car to car more easily just by showing prior personal property tax receipts. But since it's not that common any more, the information to get the tax waiver has gotten a little harder to find, but not a lot harder to navigate once you get with the local county tax assessor/dept of revenue's clerks. Be prepared to go in person, have your application for MO title handy, and your out of state license. Might be useful to bring some mail like a bill from California to "prove" you really are coming from out of state.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:52 PM

Oh wow, sorry I haven't been on a few days due to work. It definately sound like I have to either buy it Cali and register it here if I want the car in coming months, or wait till June/July buy it here with a one way ticket out, or just wait and buy it in MO. I would buy it there honestly but I'm worried I won't get the deal I would be able to get at SCM. I'll be going to school in Kansas City acutally if anyone is from there let me know and we'll have a mini meet when I move up there. thanks for all the inputs. does anyone know of a comparable dealership (to SCM) in the kansas city area? thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by wolverinepwns
Oh wow, sorry I haven't been on a few days due to work. It definately sound like I have to either buy it Cali and register it here if I want the car in coming months, or wait till June/July buy it here with a one way ticket out, or just wait and buy it in MO. I would buy it there honestly but I'm worried I won't get the deal I would be able to get at SCM. I'll be going to school in Kansas City acutally if anyone is from there let me know and we'll have a mini meet when I move up there. thanks for all the inputs. does anyone know of a comparable dealership (to SCM) in the kansas city area? thanks.
Im in Sedalia which is about an hour east of Kansas City. I was at northtowne mitsubishi a few months ago which is in Kansas City and If I remember correctly they sill had a couple X's.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

i live near springfield mo and that is where i bought my x they usually have about 3 on the lot most of the time not to far from kansas will make for a nice road trip back lol good luck u will love ur x