Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Daily Driver EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to DD Audis and Bimmers. The best DD I've had was my 01 bi-turbo Audi S4 modded to about 400+ crank hp. After that, I had a convertible M3 and a V8 S4. I realized that performance/fun was more important to me than luxury. My SE has 3,500 miles now and I am loving it. I have heated seats and Bluetooth - all the "luxury" items I need. I commute 70 miles a day and even with Swift Spec R springs, I find the ride compliant in NJ roads. The SST is great and the noise is bearable. Like a lot of guys here, I believe the Evo is the best bang for the buck for a DD.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:19 PM

It reallly depends on what car your coming from. I daily drive my 2010 GSR. I am averaging 24mpg on the highway, the ride is not harsh to me, and actually I find the exhaust pretty quiet overall.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Hey guys,

So I've been eying an SE EVO and wanted some opinions about daily driving.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I went back 10 pages and didn't see anything so here goes.

How is the EVO for a daily driver? I know it's a harsh ride, but what about things like road noise and feel?

I drive about 20 miles a day, mainly highway. Can you cruise at 70 and still hear the radio at a reasonable volume? How is the transmission for highway driving (with SST)? I heard the '08 models had weird gear ratios, is '10 better?

Any feedback on daily driven EVO's would be great.

Thanks.
It 's rough.

I drive 40 miles a week with no problem. I cruise to Mexico alot from LA and it sucks. The ride is rough, the road noise is LOUD, you can hear small rocks hitting the undercarage all the time, the seats sucks after a hundred miles of continuous driving, the gear changing is loud, clunky at times, MPG suck, Im getting about 165miles/tank, I do jackrabbit every light though, i drive an 08 MR fully loaded.

The good stuff. The stereo is alright. the speed is there and it looks bad as heck.

Since your traveling 20 miles a day, little speed runs are always great. Going to Ensenada, Mexico on the private toll roads the car easily hits 140-150 MPH stated.

overall its a great little car.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

life is about being happy, not money! You only live once.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 02:55 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The MR has better suspension for DD, more easy to shift in stop and go traffic. 700+ watt radio, heated leather seats, I use 3/4-1 tank of gas per day driving 140-170 miles per day currently 42XX miles in one month. The Turkish Gas Guy is so happy to see me every morning lol
DD EVO MRT FTW
Old Jan 8, 2011, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
If your coming from an MR2, you will be very pleased. The engine noise complaints are usually from GSR guys because they only have 5 gears. I have a GSR and its really not that bad. Lol.

Like others said, an Evo is no luxury car, so expect to get some rattles or road noise but if you are determined enough you can actually fix all of those things in a day or two. The only real downside I could see for you is the worse gas mileage on your dd. Expect to get around 21ish highway.. and that's if you driving like a grandma. And regular maintenance will go up as well.. the stock tires only last about 15k miles, more expensive oil changes, more expensive brake jobs, etc.. Not to mention when you get the "mod bug". And yes I know, you are prolly thinking 'I am just keeping it stock for a while..'. That only last about the first few months. Lol. Just don't go the 'show and shine' forum if you want your car to stay stock!!

I say do it. You will be very, very pleased.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I went back 10 pages and didn't see anything so here goes.

How is the EVO for a daily driver? I know it's a harsh ride, but what about things like road noise and feel?

I drive about 20 miles a day, mainly highway. Can you cruise at 70 and still hear the radio at a reasonable volume? How is the transmission for highway driving (with SST)? I heard the '08 models had weird gear ratios, is '10 better?

Thanks.
I DD'd my IX and now my X, it's not like driving a Lexus by any means but I really enjoy it. My round-trip commute is 31 miles/day. I've also done a 3k mile roadtrip in the X already. Pick your mods carefully and it will be great.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:32 AM

Good for dd until u start modding then the dd factor starts to wither away a lil.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:22 PM

It can be a great daily driver if you place a higher priority on handling, speed, and fun as opposed to comfort, noise level, and refinement. I'm not entirely comfortable in my MR as a daily driver so I may look to swap cars in the near future. Maybe I'm just getting older and changing my preferences. Some days I love it and some days I wish I was more comfortable and would take less performance as a trade off.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:49 PM

I DD my Lotus...it's all a matter of personal preference. I personally think an Evo would be a massive step up in luxury, so it's a bit odd for me to see so many people saying it's difficult to DD one.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

I DD my evo and I enjoy it more than my Cayman S
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys,

Thanks.
The MR/SE makes a solid daily driver. I've been (mostly) daily driving my SE since September, and it's gone well so far.

You'll find it to be perhaps a bit choppy in stop-and-go traffic, but it's not bad.

I drive a 40 mile round trip to work at 70ish, and I have no trouble hearing the radio, though the base radio is perhaps a bit lacking. I'm normally right around 3k RPM on the highway. It's loud enough to have a bit of street presence when you want it, but not intrusive in any way.

Don't let the ride quality scare you. I see you're in AZ, and I'm sure your roads are way better than mine here, just south of the Poconos in PA. I find it a bit rough sometimes, but not to the point where it's a big deal.

If I have any gripes, it's the fuel economy and perhaps the driving position. I see maybe 15 MPG in mixed (mostly highway) driving, but I'll fully admit to having a good time during my commute. As far as the ergonomics, I'd like to have the steering wheel about an inch or two closer, or at least have the clearance under the steering column to move the seat forward another notch without banging my right knee when I'm braking.

All in all, it's not a bad daily ride.

Last edited by hibby; Jan 9, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:06 PM

It would be a great daily driver; I drove a b6 audi s4 before, which was smoother, but the performance of the evo x more than makes up for the slightly louder and less smooth ride.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:06 AM

Having daily driven a modded rsx before my x, i was used to a loud and uncomfortable ride. IMO, the x is a great dd. The ride is stiff, but not harsh and the added size/weight (compared to my rsx) makes it so the car kinda just absorbs the bumps. Sometimes I find myself falling asleep at the wheel because it's that comfortable to me. Just my 2 cents...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:59 AM

i dd my ix SE and have no complaints, i love it

Quick Reply: Daily Driver EVO?