Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo Mr or Gsr need help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Mr or Gsr need help

Hey everybody, my mom is looking into buying a new evo but we cannot decide whether the gsr or mr is better suited to our driving schedule. For the most part i would be driving the car to school which has a considerable amount of stop and go traffic, but we live in a very mountainous area with a lot of great driving roads. I am 17, know how to drive stick well because i have had a lot of competitive 125cc carting experience and drove my brothers 03 cobra a lot.

The dealer has marked down the prices so they are both about even.

Any complaints about the cloth interior? And is the sound deadening noticeable in the MR? For long distances would the MR be better suited?

thanks
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow... 17 and driving an X to high school.. and your dilemma is a GSR or MR. man, i wish I had that problem at 17!

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Go with which is in best condition, least miles, the color you like. If it's a 2008, there were alot of complaints with cloth seats and staples. Mines a 2010 w/ cloth, no problems with staples.

Last edited by sun_ice4; Jan 24, 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
personally..I love the GSR...if you don't wanna shift then get yourself a MR. Nothing wrong with the interior on GSR...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:04 PM

get a se both of best worlds haha
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

For heavy modding, then GSR. But just for cruising, then MR.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

You're name is "turbocobra", drives a 996 turbo, and his mom wants an Evo 10 and you're 17? Justin Beiber?

But no seriously, who's driving the car you? How much traffic are you in on a daily/weeklly basis and what part of cali? I'm out in SoCal for business often (usually between HB and Simi) and I wouldn't drive a manual as my primary if I had a choice.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:40 PM

pics of said mom

j/k. If you want to do some extracuricular activities with this evo (canyons, road courses, etc.) I would definitely go with the GSR.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:58 PM

I'd be concerned about long term maintainence issues with the tranny in the MR for a young driver.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:24 PM

Let me just clear some things up, my dad drives the 996 and I am not allowed to drive it at all, i drive a 94 ford bronco, and the evo is mostly for my mom, i would only drive it to school maybe 2 times a week to help save my car. Trust me, I have no problem driving a stick because I track race at infinion raceway nearly every month. Tranny wear is not an issue because of my age.

and yes i realize that i am very lucky to even drive an evo.

I know the MR has more sound deadening but is that really more noticeable? (maybe just on longer drives)

only mods I plan on are exhaust/intake/tune eventually when I start earning more $

drive to school is about 1hour+ with maybe 25 minutes going through the toll booth stop and go/ rolling traffic

Last edited by turbocobra; Jan 24, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:28 PM

hey man, I realy wanted to rag on you but you sound like a decent kid. If you are going to be driving the car only twice a week, I would say the major decision should be based on your moms driving preferences. If she is into spirited or track driving and has experience driving a stick then I would say the GSR, if you mom is anything like my mom I'd advise for the MR. If I/E/Tune are your only planned future mods you can't go wrong either way.
Still it comes down to if your mom is a driving enthusiastic (GSR) or does she just want a nice DD(MR)?

: but for some reason I picture your mom to be attractive
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your Mom wants to drive an EVO??? Really? Has she driven one before? I would think the MR is the better choice... it's the more civilized EVO.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

does she like to work 3pedals or 2? mr is more comfortable
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

I test drove both MR and a random guys GSR wen i was in the market for a evo and from my experience and imo I wud say gsr, I liked the paddle shifting but u cant beat a manual for that i'm in control of the car feeling... my .02 cents
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:53 PM

i would def go with the MR
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

if u get gsr chances are u will have the car most of the time ;]

Quick Reply: Evo Mr or Gsr need help