Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Warm day = ETS Install!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm day = ETS Install!

A warm day! Warm enough to get the ETS V2 on. I didn't install the test pipe / HFC yet, more on that in a minute...

Install was pretty easy, just jacking up the rear. The stock Cat section needs to have the heat shield split open, which is pretty easy once you take off the two small bolts holding the rear seam together. Both bolts sheared, but who cares. I used a small pry bar to open up the shield so the larger ETS flange would fit. Thankfully the stock 17mm bolts did not shear, otherwise I would have had to put on the testpipe today.

Nothing other worth mentioning for the install.

SOUND
The car sounds wicked, but not boomy and obnoxious like my 2.5 RS running a Greddy Evo2 catback. I'm running the stock headers on the RS and the stock cat so there is no real "boxer rumble" and it is still FAR LOUDER than the V2. The Evo has far more cabin isolation than the RS, so whatever drone there might be gets dampened. Neighbor wise... well they haven't complained about the RS yet so I'm not worried

POWER
Holy f*ck what a difference. I'm running an ETS intake as well. The whole package really adds power without a tune.

HFC
Question for you folks on my ETS HFC test pipe. Should I install it? I'm a bit afraid it really needs an immediate tune with that pipe. I'm dying to plug in my wideband so it is very tempting.... Thoughts?

Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Looks excellent and I bet you saved around 30lbs in weight just with the exhaust system. haha.

Michael
Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any chance you could get a sounds clip? i running the same set up for a little bit as well
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

nice!!! enjoy it. really warm day today
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'll try to capture a clip with my CrackBerry in the morning, but I doubt it will be faithful to the true sound.

Just drove for about 1.5 hours, here are some observations (again ETS Intake, ETS V2 Catback):

Startup:
Awesome sound. Burbles loud for 3 seconds and settles to a burbly purr.

Idle:
Not boomy, nice and burbly. Stop and go traffic friendly.

Cruise:
If you keep the vaccuum at -10 (which is what cruise control does, 25MPG) it is as quiet as stock. If you decel below -20 it starts to boom. Anything above 5 PSI it starts to growl. So I would qualify the exhaust as a no-drone exhaust. Off throttle is the only consistent case of boom/drone.

Accel:
Its all good. 4th at 60 above 4K rpm and this thing growls!
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the review. Hope your CrackBerry takes better video and pictures then mine lol.

I need to upgrade.

Michael
Old Feb 18, 2011, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Funny you should say that. If you look at the pics, the intake pic is old and taken from my last BlackBerry. Looks like poop right? The other pics are from my new BlackBerry Bold. The stock Exhaust and that Midpipe pick look pretty damn good for a BlackBerry! The muffler pic didn't properly focus because the car was running
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ETS FTW!!!!!!I loved my old ETS setup on my previous 9MR.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:19 PM

looks LOUD!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Its not that loud.

So what are the thoughts on the HFC/Test pipe? Can I install it without a tune?
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

^^ You could probably install it without a tune but I would not drive for an extended period of time without a tune. If you don't get a tune right away, I'd be sure to drive conservatively.

On a similar note, I'm very interested in this exact exhaust system, but only looking to do a cat back setup (like you have it now). Am I correct in saying that NO tune will be necessary if that is the ONLY change I make (all other components remain stock, intake also stock). Any input is much appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Cat back can't hurt you. The ECU doesn't care, since all the sensors are on the downpipe and cat pipe.

You are missing out without an intake however.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks awesome! I've got the V2 Quiet on order. ETA is suppose to be the end of the month.

And Redbaron, you really should consider the ETS intake as well. Since it uses the stock MAF housing, a tune is not needed.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I'll try to capture a clip with my CrackBerry in the morning, but I doubt it will be faithful to the true sound.

Just drove for about 1.5 hours, here are some observations (again ETS Intake, ETS V2 Catback):

Startup:
Awesome sound. Burbles loud for 3 seconds and settles to a burbly purr.

Idle:
Not boomy, nice and burbly. Stop and go traffic friendly.

Cruise:
If you keep the vaccuum at -10 (which is what cruise control does, 25MPG) it is as quiet as stock. If you decel below -20 it starts to boom. Anything above 5 PSI it starts to growl. So I would qualify the exhaust as a no-drone exhaust. Off throttle is the only consistent case of boom/drone.

Accel:
Its all good. 4th at 60 above 4K rpm and this thing growls!
that will all change when you get rid of the stock cat. i don't know how it will be with a HFC because i run both DP and TP.

it's not for the faint of heart.

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Its not that loud.

So what are the thoughts on the HFC/Test pipe? Can I install it without a tune?
install it. it will be all good. i wouldn't suggest smashing it all that much until you get it tuned though.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:31 AM

Very nice setup! ETS will surely be on my list for exhaust options.

Quick Reply: Warm day = ETS Install!