Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rear Bumper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear Bumper Replacement

So an Asian Lady driver rear ended my car this weekend. I am wondering if i bought a rear bumper from factory with the same color, would I need to get it repainted. My shops says yes, but I don't want to go through all that hassle. Let me know your experience.

I'm sure she's paying for it. Not going through insurance quite yet, I'll have a response today. Still need to fill out an accident report.

btw, it was like a 5mph bump, so it is only cosmetic to the point where there are small cracks.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Bump.. anyone?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure there is no impact on the acd pump in the bumper. If it's damaged it's a $2,000+ repair at the dealer.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey what a coincidence I saw an asian woman on the train today and another one in the lobby. Think it was the same one that hit your car?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by popdakebin
So an Asian Lady driver rear ended my car this weekend. I am wondering if i bought a rear bumper from factory with the same color, would I need to get it repainted. My shops says yes, but I don't want to go through all that hassle. Let me know your experience.

I'm sure she's paying for it. Not going through insurance quite yet, I'll have a response today. Still need to fill out an accident report.

btw, it was like a 5mph bump, so it is only cosmetic to the point where there are small cracks.
Sorry to hear that. I also got my rear bumper hit recently. I saw a rear bumper cover would cost around 400 online (discount mitsubishi and mistubishiparts.net) but I think those have no paint yet.

Originally Posted by Sir Kyle
Make sure there is no impact on the acd pump in the bumper. If it's damaged it's a $2,000+ repair at the dealer.
Sir Kyle, where is that acd pump loacated? I need to check if mine is ok.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aoshi
Sorry to hear that. I also got my rear bumper hit recently. I saw a rear bumper cover would cost around 400 online (discount mitsubishi and mistubishiparts.net) but I think those have no paint yet.

Sir Kyle, where is that acd pump loacated? I need to check if mine is ok.
Yea, I haven't heard of this. Let us know. As for the one on the train, deff her.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I couldn't tell you exactly where it is, I've never gone looking for it. A couple of months ago my AWC light came on and took it to the dealer (7yr/75,000mile warranty). About a year before there had been some rear bumper damage, to include the beam. Well the dealer linked the two together after running some diagnostics. The tech said there were signs of an impact that slowly decreased the pumps life. The AWC reflash was done about a year ago as well.

So this is my experience and passing it along. For all I know Mitsu was blowing smoke up my kazoo.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by popdakebin

Sorry to hear bout your troubles. Im in the same boat. Just got hit this week. Looking at doing the the replacement myself also. I found the direction in the how-to section but still looking for parts. Good luck to you.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks. It's annoying waiting for them to pay up. I'm gonna go through insurance if I don't get the cash by Friday.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its on the RR of the bumper. hard to mis it with the bumper off
Old Jul 9, 2011, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

What ended up happening to your car anyway?

An asian lady rear ended me yesterday afternoon. I know it sounds like I'm being a smartass, but I'm serious. Was stopped at a stoplight, all of a sudden she smacks into me, probably 5-10mph. My guess is that she let off the brake and wasn't paying attention (she had her phone in her lap when we pulled over.) There's a couple dimples in the painted portion of the bumper, and a scrape on the lower black urethane piece. The urethane is easy enough to replace, but I loathe the thought of a repair shop having to repaint my bumper.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:01 AM

Always get you car checked out even if it is a little bump. I got rear ended in my Raider at less than 10 MPH and it compromised my whole bumper (I have worked in a body shop) and my bumper looked fine till i crawled under to look at it.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:54 PM

I scratched my rear bumper cover and decided to replace, went to a very good local body and paint shop. They ordered a new WW rear cover, and it came painted to their suprise, it was a perfect factory match to all other panels, this is new 2010 EVO X too.

Total cost around 500.00.

Not sure if anyone else had this experience. I wonder if all OEM rear bumper covers come painted?

Last edited by Burningcoals; Jul 25, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

?

Does anyone know if rear bumpers come painted? I would like to know as well....
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Burningcoals
Not sure if anyone else had this experience. I wonder if all OEM rear bumper covers come painted?
Mitsubishiparts.net says: "Comes prepainted Wicked White (this is the only color available)"

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Replacement