Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: What will happen to my EVO X?
Fixed
21.77%
Totaled out
78.23%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

My EVO has been wrecked

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My EVO has been wrecked

Ok, so last night I was involved in a head on collision that deployed the driver steering wheel and knee airbags, as well as the passenger front curtain and passenger rear curtain airbags. The passenger frontside was impacted the worst. My question is, does anyone have any price info on what it'd take to replace those airbags? I honestly think my EVO X is totaled, but since it had less than 3200 miles, I somehow think USAA will try to fix it. What do you think? It's a 2010 GSR that i've owned just shy of 2 months.

Here's the link for the pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djchino3/

Last edited by djchino3; Mar 21, 2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: left out details
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

It looks totalled. If they say it is, buy it back and part it out
Old Mar 21, 2011, 03:40 AM

Nasty hit. If you fix it, it will never drive/feel the same.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

What happened?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry to see! I wish you the best...Looks like alot of work to repair.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, hope it gets totalled and you are still in good shape financially to get a new one. It wont be the same getting repaired
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

good to see that you're ok, do you have the GAP insurance thing?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:22 AM

Some lady cut across 2 lanes of traffic trying to go in the opposite direction. I tried braking but it was too late and smacked her almost head on @ 55ish mph. I too hope it'll be totaled b/c I know for a fact it'll never be the same. No I didnt get the GAP insurance. She's at fault and we both have USAA so it should be a fairly easy claim. Hoping I can get into a new 2011 this time.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:24 AM

BTW thanks to all. I am ok except for the soreness due to that damn knee airbag that tore my shins up
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn. Glad you're ok. Hopefully they total it out. Good luck.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

From my experience and what I have seen (keep in mind Im from canada) they will not write that off. Itll still cost them less to repair it then to buy you a new one.

They will throw it on a frame straightener and the way frames are designed now days it will most likely be completely fixable. Obivously replacing your suspension/half shafts and most likely your front diff and prop obvously. Then they have to wait months to get you a new quarter panel and front bumper and support and all your oil lines, aircon, rad, altenator. Then you got your airbags and sensors. Most likely you suffered some electrical damage. They will probably through a new harness in. The tiny 4b11 and turbo is probably all fine. They you got paint and minor body work.

I had a similar accident in a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 about 10 months to a year after I got it. $18,000+ was the bodyshop/mechnical repair bill to the Insurance company. Since the car was still work $32,000 (CDN) they repaired it and straightened the frame.

Good luck. Hopefully you get a rental for at least half the time your car is gone, which Im guessing with be 3-6 months.

If your insurance company offers you a rental it will usually only be for a set period of time or dollar value. As they get a discount rate from the car rental agency before your rental period is over try to go in a sweet talk the rental agency allow you to keep renting the car at the INsurance rate (usually 50% off).

Good luck and keep us posted.

By the way don't worry about it never being the same. Sure its not cool to have to get it repaired from some major damage but people modding suspension and drivetrain compents will have similar changes so their cars are never the same.

Just trying to be positive.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ashes to Ashes
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:02 AM

This is a tough one. I'm going with totalled. Sorry to hear this man...3200 miles...that sucks. hope you are alright.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like a fixer to me. Once you get the estimate I'd look on the bright side and start looking at upgrades.... you can get the check and cut it to the repair shop, so no reason to waste it on OEM parts.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
looks like a fixer to me. Once you get the estimate i'd look on the bright side and start looking at upgrades.... You can get the check and cut it to the repair shop, so no reason to waste it on oem parts.
+1

Quick Reply: My EVO has been wrecked