Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Replacing relays

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing relays

I know I am a little late on this, but I was wondering if replacement of the relays is necessary. I haven't had a problem starting my car yet, even though it got pretty cold this winter.

The pictures below are from my fuse box and from a thread on here about replacing them. Do I need to get all of the ones that are blue in the second picture since it seems like the large gray one is already replaced or are the green ones fine?

Thanks

Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:50 PM

Anyone recently replace these?? I am not sure if I should change them since I haven't had any problems yet but I just wanna be safe and not have my car leave me during a cold night at 2am on the street.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:18 PM

Look at your big grey one, and then look directly below it. See the black thing. Now to the left is a green relay. That one's ok. Next to it is a black one. That's the one for sure you have to replace b/c it has the capacity to blow your engine as it's the fuel pump relay. If that one fails, your engine goes too lean and bad things happen.

Aware yourself with the info from this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-package.html
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:04 AM

Alright so I guess I gotta call up the dealership and see if they are going to cover this. If not, I am just going to buy and replace all the green and the one black relay with the new blue ones.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:47 PM

This relay only applies to the 2008 Evos, correcy?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 02:52 PM

Its for the 2008-2010 Evolutions that were built prior to November 16, 2010. My car is 2010 but I guess it was built before that so I have to replace them.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 05:26 PM

My fresh off the factory 2011 Evo (manufactured in February 2011) still had a damn black fuel pump relay. No blue ones anywhere. Damn you Mitsubishi for not prophylactically changing your parts! It's annoying to know that if I weren't on the forums learning stuff that my engine could blow anytime. Granted stock runs so rich it might be ok, but still boggles my mind that they wouldn't change it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:33 PM

Damn that's strange... I called up my local dealership and they said they couldn't do anything unless the car was having "problems" that they could see related to the TSB. I just ended up ordering the blue relay from SSP since it seems they had the best price.
Originally Posted by techmaster
My fresh off the factory 2011 Evo (manufactured in February 2011) still had a damn black fuel pump relay. No blue ones anywhere. Damn you Mitsubishi for not prophylactically changing your parts! It's annoying to know that if I weren't on the forums learning stuff that my engine could blow anytime. Granted stock runs so rich it might be ok, but still boggles my mind that they wouldn't change it.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by techmaster
Look at your big grey one, and then look directly below it. See the black thing. Now to the left is a green relay. That one's ok. Next to it is a black one. That's the one for sure you have to replace b/c it has the capacity to blow your engine as it's the fuel pump relay. If that one fails, your engine goes too lean and bad things happen.

Aware yourself with the info from this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-package.html
if that relay he has is black and its the most important one can you just switch it with the green one next to it?
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by EvilRob
if that relay he has is black and its the most important one can you just switch it with the green one next to it?
I'm not sure if it would work but I just wanted to play it safe and replace a $10 part rather than a new engine. This is usually where I've made mistakes on other cars and it ends up costing more rather than just doing what is recommended the first time.

Last edited by slowx; Apr 1, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by EvilRob
I suppose you could in the short term. However, I think the cost-benefit analysis of a $10 part vs a blown engine sort of speaks for itself. I'm am going to replace the fuel pump relay once a year. Overly cautious and probably unnecessary? Yes, but the best solution to a problem is preventing it.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
replace them all i had soo many issues with mine so i replaced all of them and no issues now
Old Apr 9, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

i have all of the old relays on my brand new 2011 GSR... what exactly do i need to switch out at this point? i know fuel pump relay for sure, but what else? fuel injector relay?

blue or green?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue. Call SSP, they have a nice kit that has everything you need. Jeremy will hook you up.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:57 PM

We have several hundred blue relays in stock. Please drop us a line if you guys need relays.

SSP..

http://www.sspperformance.com/product/blue-fuel-relay/
http://www.sspperformance.com/produc...relay-package/

Quick Reply: Replacing relays