Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How many Miles is too many for a Used X?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Miles is too many for a Used X?

So I am getting closer and closer to having enough money saved to get me to a reasonable payment for an X. Being in college and all, I am trying to stay around a $350 dollar payment, as I was recently guaranteed admissions to Medical School and know where I am going now. I'm gonna wait for the right car, but I was wondering what you all think about how many miles is to many. I know how the car was driven is more important, and I am staying away from those with mods that are at dealerships, but I plan on keeping this car for at least 5 years and just thought I would get some advice from people who drive them (I will only drive it about 7-8K a year).

Thanks for any advice you may have

PS: If you plan on selling your WW or GG in about 1 month let me know
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm about to turn 28k miles in my '08 X. It's my daily driver. I've seen '08's mileage range from 8k to 50k miles. I probably wouldn't go for one over 45k~50k.

I bought mine new and only put about 10 to 12 thousand miles a day.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldnt get one over 60k, and it would need to have all documented service up to that point.
For $350 a month you are looking at financing 72 mo. and sticking in the price tag range of $20k-$21k.

Most evo x's I have seen that are 50k-80k in mileage fall into that price range.

Otherwise wait for a good private sale deal so you can avoid paying retail.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Like you said - I wouldn't worry about mileage as much as the care that went into ownership and modifications.

If you find a well cared for 70,000 mile car with no modifications, that might be better for you then a 30,000 mile car with questionable mods.

To put it in perspective, if you are only planning on putting about 40,000 miles for the entire period you own the car (5*8000), that isn't a lot. There are plenty of VIII and Evo 9's which are well over 100,000 miles.

Find a mechanic you can trust to do a X-point inspection, and pass every car you are considering through there. If he is familiar with Mitsubishi's even better. Also learn some techniques for detecting mods - check under the hood and poke around to see if anything is loose or seems like it was recently replaced - those are usually signs of mods going on and off.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 09:27 AM

good, that is all good advice. As far as the sticker price goes I am financing for 4 years. I have a good chunk, depending on the price almost half, that I will be putting down. I figured one day that I could do a 27,000 dollar with the trade in on my car for around $354 per month (obviously before TTT, which is somewhat of the reason I have been looking at dealers so that I can finagle that into the price). Thanks for your speedy advice. I really appreciate it.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

i agree with highlyevolved. I wouldn't mind a car with high mileage as long as all maintenance is up to date.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

my old evo ix had 77k miles with perfect maintenance and stock clutch, no issues with it at all when the new person bought it.

My evo X has 50k as of last week, and still runs just like day 1 on the stock clutch as well. However, I myself wouldn't buy a high mileage EVO haha.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Mileage doesn't matter as much as maintenance, care and driving habits of the previous owner. However, higher mileage also means a higher probability of situations when the Evo was misused, launched, dragged, auto-xed, tracked, got into accidents, etc.

For this type of car, I try to look for 15,000 miles or less.

Btw, if you're in college, this may not be the right car just yet. If you are planning to park in open lot dorms and apartment complexes, you run a higher risk of getting keyed, broken into or your Evo being stolen. If you are going to medical school, it is highly advisable that you purchase a beater car instead (I'm speaking from personal and professional experience).

If you're taking out any kinds of loans for med school, a $350 car payment on a mod/maintenance-needy car like the Evo is not going to be fun for long. It's a better idea to graduate from med school first, get your job, begin paying off student loans, begin paying doctor's insurance, and then look for the car of your dreams.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 11:18 AM

I bought my used evo x with 29K miles, but asked for all history and maintenance, test drove it for a while (asked for extra time in the vehicle to check it out). got it for $22K.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 01:46 PM

Miles probably aren't as important as how it was driven and how well it was maintained.

An Evo can have only 5000 miles, but it could easily also be ALL track miles.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I bought mine new and only put about 10 to 12 thousand miles a day.
That's some fast driving.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wiretap
That's some fast driving.
Yeah it is, around 500 mph non-stop through the entire 24 hours. Must not have too much traffic..
Old Apr 1, 2011, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kryx
Miles probably aren't as important as how it was driven and how well it was maintained.

An Evo can have only 5000 miles, but it could easily also be ALL track miles.
^^^^ Says it all
Old Apr 1, 2011, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$350 a month is half the story. Insurance, tires, brakes etc are much, much higher on a Evo.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
$350 a month is half the story. Insurance, tires, brakes etc are much, much higher on a Evo.
Purchasing a high performance $35k+ car, it is pretty obvious it costs more to maintain/insure than something like a Toyota Corolla. But.. shopping around online can help with maintenance costs.

Quick Reply: How many Miles is too many for a Used X?