Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

SS package worth it?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS package worth it?

I'm looking at two identical cars. (note: these are the 2011 model)
One with the SS and one without.

I asked myself "is the extra 1800 (may not be accurate) worth it?"

I'm looking for worth it regards to both utility (how much will I wish I had it a year down the road) and price-wise (can I get a comparable or better stereo system for a lot less? Do the xenon headlights REALLY matter?)

Any help would be absolutely fantastic.

Old May 20, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about 2011 but in 08 is was much more than that...high wing, FAST-key, Rockford audio, and the xenons.

I wouldn't even consider a X without it.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:01 PM

2011 SS has everything other than the high spoiler (which is now stock).

Care to comment more in depth as to why you love them all so much?
Is the fast key really great (or for starters da **** is it?)? What about the headlights?
Old May 20, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Just the rockford sound system is worth $10,000.00 i would went crazy if i didnt get that option it would have been a waste completely an dont listen to others oh just put a box in trunk or change radio, no get it. the sound of that compare to the stock system is a joke
Old May 20, 2011, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats right, the sound system is bad @$$ and the HID lights. The wing is not all that great though. The key less entry is for the ladies if u wanna impress them.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:13 PM

How does the RF stereo compare to something similarly priced in the aftermarket?
Is the price jacked up like most dealer options?

Again, why exactly are the better headlights...better
Old May 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Leopard
Care to comment more in depth as to why you love them all so much?
Is the fast key really great (or for starters da **** is it?)? What about the headlights?
I know some people are picky and find the Rockford system inadequate but this is the only car that I've ever owned that I didn't feel a need to upgrade. It makes the cut for me...my BMW did not. Go figure.

I love xenons. You can buy fancy bulbs and make regular headlights look good but why hassle with that when you can have the real deal? Regular PIAA bulbs use to burn out annually on the BMW.

FAST key is a proximity key system. You keep the fob in your pocket and touch the door handle and the car unlocks. There's a fake key in the ignition and you turn it and the car starts (the fob in your pocket the whole time). Same for the trunk...just keep the fob in your pocket and push the button and it pops open. Nifty.

Is any one of those things worth $1800? Naw. The whole combo is a bargain. Even if you don't want all of that then the guy you try to sell your car to in a few years might want it, you know? Non-SSS cars are actually more rare than having it.

Last edited by mlomker; May 20, 2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:15 PM

Stock HIDs are worth it for me. FAST key is cool because you just keep the key in your pocket and don't have to use it to turn on the car. The stereo in the SS is ok, the bass doesn't go up to high and the volume cannot go high enough to compensate for wind noise if you have the windows down on the freeway. I got the SS and navi in my car because I wanted to concentrate mod money and downtime into performance mods, as my last car had a lot of ICE.

The one thing you could do to make the SS system better is just switch out the amp; there is a how to on here somewhere. You would just need an amp, power cable kit, and 2 crossovers.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:49 PM

Well, you talk about spending your mod money elsewhere...

If I didn't get the SS, I'd have a big chunk of change to spend elsewhere.

Just playing the devils advocate. I'm just looking for concrete evidence that it's not some dealer option that's 1000 dollars over priced.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
fast key and the HID's are worth it.

The RF stereo upgrade with sub is great for OEM.

I'm so used to the fast key on my RA that I always forgot my Evo 8 doesn't have it and wonder why the door isn't unlocking for me.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:12 PM

Well, you talk about spending your mod money elsewhere...

If I didn't get the SS, I'd have a big chunk of change to spend elsewhere.

Just playing the devils advocate. I'm just looking for concrete evidence that it's not some dealer option that's 1000 dollars over priced.
I consider HIDs to be a performance upgrade. I didn't feel like having to install them later on. Same thing with the stereo (though not a performance upgrade). Considering the non-monetary costs of me having to research which HIDs, speakers, amps, etc. to buy, not to mention the install time, then yeah I saved a ton of money and time. Plus I get all ticklely inside when I can start my car without the key

If you want concrete evidence on the costs of the each individual option thats included in the package, find a parts site and look up the costs for OEM and compare them to what you would put in (or wouldn't).

This desire to have or not the SS package lies within the realm of opinion because the value of most of those options are personal (as they are based on not only money but things like I mentioned above); so, all your going to get is a bunch of differing opinions from people. Honestly though, there are a million threads on this topic, a good search would help you out immensely .
Old May 20, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

HID's + Fast Key make it worth it

RF System is subjective. Some say it's awesome, audiophiles seem to hate it. overall a great system, just some people are picky

HID's - these are about 1600 to buy separately from the dealership, so you can use your guess/judgement to estimate how much a used set would sell for...except that there aren't too many people retro-fitting and I think I only saw one pair of projectors for sale EVER. I imagine they're worth at least 1k used on the forums - nearly worth what the SS package costs already.

Then the FAST key. Remember that this is not something you can DIY - the door handle is missing the button. This on top of the HID projectors makes it worth it

I sell Mitsu's and I order 95% Evo's with SS. I only get a few base GSR's for those that can just barely afford an Evo, but the SS is just way too easy to convince customer's into - it's really good value
Old May 20, 2011, 09:43 PM

Oh believe me, I want the SS package.

My parents (considering I'm only 19) think it's just an overpriced dealer option and are encouraging me to go aftermarket. Note: this is ALL my money as they have no desire (or ability) to help me pay haha.

I just wanted some "concrete evidence" to help get them off my back a bit easier.

Thanks for your opinion(s) though.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Oh believe me, I want the SS package.

My parents (considering I'm only 19) think it's just an overpriced dealer option and are encouraging me to go aftermarket. Note: this is ALL my money as they have no desire (or ability) to help me pay haha.

I just wanted some "concrete evidence" to help get them off my back a bit easier.

Thanks for your opinion(s) though.
then just tell them along the lines of what I said

the RF - the sub alone is prob worth $500? (I'm not a huge sound system guy, so someone can correct me)

the projectors - easily at least $1000 if you sold them here on the forums, and yes somebody would buy them

FAST Key - seals the deal. you just can't do this DIY. You could sell everything else that came with the SS package and almost break even, but you'll have the irreplaceable FAST key.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mlomker
i don't know about 2011 but in 08 is was much more than that...high wing, fast-key, rockford audio, and the xenons.

I wouldn't even consider a x without it.
+1

Quick Reply: SS package worth it?