Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Installing factory sunroof

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing factory sunroof

I've been looking for an 11 X because I have to have a sunroof in it. Was wondering, if I just bought a sunroof and roof from the factory could I install it just like OEM? Would make finding an Evo much easier.

=Jason-
Old May 25, 2011, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I don't think you could do it without buying the roof. If you get the roof then I don't see why not. It's gonna be expensive tho..
Old May 25, 2011, 06:26 AM

Can be an expensive excercise just hold out until you find one with a sunroof, if you have some spare cash to throw around by go for it.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

anytime you deal with cutting or welding to install a sunroof, you risk wind noise, paint issues and corrosion down the road. Best to wait until the right one comes along...
Old May 25, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jester81783
anytime you deal with cutting or welding to install a sunroof, you risk wind noise, paint issues and corrosion down the road. Best to wait until the right one comes along...
Yea but he wouldn't be cutting the roof. He would be taking the roof off and installing a new one made with the sunroof. It's not a good idea to install a sunroof in the aluminum roof.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:11 AM

This type of modify dont try yourself , if you dont an expert
Old May 25, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Yea but he wouldn't be cutting the roof. He would be taking the roof off and installing a new one made with the sunroof. It's not a good idea to install a sunroof in the aluminum roof.
That's exactly what I'm thinking but I just don't know how difficult it is to switch roofs. Gotta pull up the prices for the parts I guess.

=J-
Old May 25, 2011, 10:41 AM

aviod aftermarket as well all i have ever seen them do is leak.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:05 AM

I would only use OEM parts or not do it at all. I just want to see how difficult it is swaping roofs and if the wiring is already there or would I need to route all the wiring and whatnot.

=Jason-
Old May 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

I would expect the roof to be around 2000 and the sunroof around 700ish from the dealer. Search for the AMS carbon fiber roof. I think one member had pictures from when he replaced his roof. It can atleast give you an idea..
Old May 25, 2011, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i believe the '11 evos with the sunroof package have a steel roof whereas the ones without that have an aluminum roof. you cannot install even an OEM sunroof into an evo with an aluminum roof because it simply cannot support it.

besides that, even if you got a steel roof you'd have to weld it into place, risking alignment, leaks of water and air, functionality and all other sorts of problems. it's not even worth it in ANYONES opinion. just buy one that has it with it if you really want a sunroof
Old May 25, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Are you people serious, to cut open a roof on brand new car
Old May 25, 2011, 04:42 PM

dont ever put a sunroof on a car that did not come with one the roof is part of the cars structual support and cutting a hole is a roof will change that. cars that have sunroofs also come with added structual support to make up for the hole . aftermarket places will not add structual support.

and adding aftermarket things like that is always asking for trouble
Old May 25, 2011, 08:22 PM

Wow does noone read the actual thread first?? I want to buy an OEM steel roof already made for the sunroof, buy the oem sunroof and install. I want to just know how difficult it is to replace the roof.

=Jason-
Old May 26, 2011, 12:27 AM

Too much hassle. Trade for a 2011. It's not worth the price of parts and labor if you aren't a body repair tech. Also, this job would take at least a week to do at most body shops.

Here's a brief breakdown of what needs to be done.
You have to remove the front and rear glass and each time you remove them, there's a possibility of it cracking. Drill out the roof skin. Weld the new skin in. Smooth out welds. Primer. Paint. Install the moon roof, glass, electrical wiring, relay, fuse, motor, and interior pieces. Then get ready for a long detail because your interior will smell and be dusty from all the body work.

You'll need a skilled body shop to pull an OEM install cleanly and properly.

Last edited by jdm sam; May 26, 2011 at 12:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Installing factory sunroof