Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buying in CALI, registering it in Nebraska..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buying in CALI, registering it in Nebraska..

Looking at buying an X from southcoast, only problem is i dnt know what will costs less.. Paying the sales tax n CA driving home and getting plates in nebraska or gettin car towed home and paying for plates here.. If i pay sales tax in cali do i pay them for nebraska?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just recently bought a car out of state and they give us a drive out tag and you pay the taxes on it in the state you are registering it in within 30 days. that was buying a car in arkansas and paying TN taxes. I'm sure it will be the same for CA and Nebraska not to sure though.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedEvoxGSR
Looking at buying an X from southcoast, only problem is i dnt know what will costs less.. Paying the sales tax n CA driving home and getting plates in nebraska or gettin car towed home and paying for plates here.. If i pay sales tax in cali do i pay them for nebraska?
Good question! I know a lot of guys have bought from Southcoast from out of state, so I am sure they will correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure you will have to pay CA sales tax as well as NE sales tax. Normally you only pay taxes in the state you reg the car, but in screwed up over taxed CA, they want every nickle and dime they can get. Run the numbers, it might not be worth it in the long run. Everytime I have bought a car out of state I have paid OH sales tax only.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Southcoast said if u drive it off lot u have to pay the sales tax...
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like i will jus get it shipped here and then i wont have to pay their sales tax.. Jus looking forward to goin to cali
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

it will probably be your best option to have it shipped.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Yea not by much tho.. Getting it shipped is 750 or 1100 enclosed.. Outrageous!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah it is outrageous. It's to bad cali tries to stiff everyone on taxes. Good Luck with your purchase man!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

They are full of it... the dealership. I have bought lots of cars from out of state. You simply show them your DL. Pick the car up and drive to your home state. Do not pay CAL state taxes. Just tell them you will take care of registering the car and all the paperwork. This will also save you the dealership paperwork fee that they try and charge.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Supraboy,

Doesnt work that way with california.. Dealership said i have to pay sales tax!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Ok I just spent a a bit of time reading the California sales tax code. Fly to Vegas.... have the dealership meet you there. If they are in LA.. its not far to Vegas. Take delivery there. Per the code.. its no sales tax, if its done that way.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 09:52 AM

At my dealer, we give the customer a drive out plate and they take care of taxes in their state... I'm in socal. Unless the law has changed recently.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alexandertg4
At my dealer, we give the customer a drive out plate and they take care of taxes in their state... I'm in socal. Unless the law has changed recently.
Even better. I just read the 2011 Cal state sales tax laws. I read under all the exceptions. A regular car was not exempt if it was deliverd in state. Cali is strange though. But if the dealerships are doing what you claim then thats better.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Even better. I just read the 2011 Cal state sales tax laws. I read under all the exceptions. A regular car was not exempt if it was deliverd in state. Cali is strange though. But if the dealerships are doing what you claim then thats better.
When you sign the papers for a car, they list your home address. That home address is where the bill goes to therefore your billing address. If your billing address is not in CA, you do not pay sales tax.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alexandertg4
When you sign the papers for a car, they list your home address. That home address is where the bill goes to therefore your billing address. If your billing address is not in CA, you do not pay sales tax.
Awesome, however the dealership where he is buying the car is giving him grief.

Quick Reply: Buying in CALI, registering it in Nebraska..