Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Corvette Enthusiast Possible New Evo Owner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, with all the Corvette talk, some pictures are due.

Here's a new red Grand Sport from the dealership in Carlsbad. A little much more than I want to spend...

Then below is the yellow C5 I'm considering. It's late C5, manual, low miles and only around $22,000.

Here's a video of a well-built C5 compared to a new Grand Sport. One of the reason I'm considering a Corvette for a track car. Nice thing about it.. Plenty of money left over for modding and an offroad truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an51Do20X-Q

But like I said earlier, Evo is still in the lead.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

22k for a c5 is not to good of a price. hop on the vette forums, you can see z06's with low miles/garage kept cars for the 25k range and that was when i was looking in the summer
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snake bite
22k for a c5 is not to good of a price. hop on the vette forums, you can see z06's with low miles/garage kept cars for the 25k range and that was when i was looking in the summer
Sure, I'll keep looking. However, keep in mind... This particular one is the last year C5, so late, late C5 and only 40K miles. Great for the year. Perfect condition, garage kept. And $22k is what the car was first listed at. I think last time we spoke the price might have been close to $20K, much more reasonable. It'll all depend upon close inspection of course - That's when you really can tell if a car is pristine.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kiteboarder
Sure, I'll keep looking. However, keep in mind... This particular one is the last year C5, so late, late C5 and only 40K miles. Great for the year. Perfect condition, garage kept. And $22k is what the car was first listed at. I think last time we spoke the price might have been close to $20K, much more reasonable. It'll all depend upon close inspection of course - That's when you really can tell if a car is pristine.
just one example

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-c...-miles-nj.html
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:40 AM

Woah, you're right! Thanks! That's very good to know
Old Jan 6, 2012, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would suggest asking around to see if you can test drive a members car that has been tuned. You really cant get a great feel of how the car is suppose to perform until you have ridden in a tuned car. No crazy mods just the basic tune make a huge difference in this car.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Woa. $25k for a low mile zo6 thats a price dropp....
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:44 PM

Haha, dude, you are mounds of good advice! If you are talking about the Mazda dealership in Car Country, I was there yesterday. I saw an 08 Miata for $22K-ish, we may be talking about the same one. And of course I was drooling over the red hardtop 2012 that's sitting in front of the showroom. In fact,
below is a photo.

And... I sat in the Porsche Boxster that you guys had sitting out near the entrance with the top down. Very cool car, I live Porsches a lot, but I
don't want to have to deal with working on one right now.

I was trying to get a hold of a manual Corvette today to test
drive with my wife but I could only find automatics... Thanks in part to all the posers who buy automatic Corvettes just to look cool and then get bored and
trade them in. I didn't waste my time going to see one of those.

I'll try again this weekend. But let me tell you, the Evo is way
ahead right now. Again, thanks for the advice. Means a lot coming from a guy who gets to try a bunch of different, probably has hook ups to get good deals
and still chooses to get an Evo. That's legit right there.

Here's the black 2012 Evo my
wife and I drove, but decided not to buy:

And then here's the one that might likely win overall. (Or another like this):

Haha! Yep thats where I work! Looks like you talked to paul, I was already on my way home I'm sure. Yea I mean nothing that I've driven yet has felt like the EVO. The corvette was absolutely awesome, but if your comparing new to new it's a much more expensive purchase. Hey I'd love to sell you a Mazda.... But I myself am getting a mitsu lol! Good luck with the purchase! Btw where did you look at those evo's?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jcon90
Haha! Yep thats where I work! Looks like you talked to paul, I was already on my way home I'm sure. Yea I mean nothing that I've driven yet has felt like the EVO. The corvette was absolutely awesome, but if your comparing new to new it's a much more expensive purchase. Hey I'd love to sell you a Mazda.... But I myself am getting a mitsu lol! Good luck with the purchase! Btw where did you look at those evo's?
If you're talking about the guy sitting behind the window with a blue shirt, yeah that's the guy I talked to.

The black Evo is at Ken Grody and the new ones I'm looking at are in El Cajon.

I'm really not comparing new Vette to new Evo. It's used Vette Vs new Evo.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:35 PM

If you're talking about the guy sitting behind the window with a blue shirt, yeah that's the guy I talked to.

The black Evo is at Ken Grody and the new ones I'm looking at are in El Cajon.

I'm really not comparing new
Vette to new Evo. It's used
Vette Vs new Evo.
True, It makes more sense. Ken grody has a 2012? Huh. ugh I hated that el cajon dealer when I went there. Is it doing better now?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I could afford a Boss 302, I would get that over an Evo. I have a new Evo X GSR and love it, but I have been in a Boss 302 and that car for me is on a different level. I suppose if I had the money, I would buy one of each. With that said, the Evo is probably going to be a much better daily driver than a Corvette or Boss. My son also has a new Evo X and it is simply amazing in the snow with snow tires. Plus, with just a few mods, it is quite quick. I think in the end that I would go for that WW Evo that you are looking at.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jcon90
True, It makes more sense. Ken grody has a 2012? Huh. ugh I hated that el cajon dealer when I went there. Is it doing better now?
No, Ken Grody has the 2010 with 5,000 miles. It used to be owned by one of the salespeople there who's an Evo fan. Apparently, he was an Evo 8o r 9 owner and his car got wrecked. He then bought the X but then decided to go with a truck and traded for an F150. So the car is there. I mean, the car is great. At $5,000 +/- savings it's great. It's in excellent condition with only a little couple of scratches under the front bumper from hitting the ground, and tiny scratches over the front nose (tiny). I just can't get over the fact I don't like black, and I wanted leather seats. The salesperson was great, but the last TO that followed to try and close the sale was not good. He nearly burned me to the point that it might screw up the sale completely for the sales guy, who was actually a real cool guy. But oh well.

The dealer in El Cajon seemed alright. It was not an impressive dealership but I really liked the sales guy that tended to me. He was straight up and not pushy. He understood I was in research mode and I'd be ready to buy later. For that reason, for a new Evo I'll likely go straight to them when it comes time to negotiate on price for a final purchase.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
If I could afford a Boss 302, I would get that over an Evo. I have a new Evo X GSR and love it, but I have been in a Boss 302 and that car for me is on a different level. I suppose if I had the money, I would buy one of each. With that said, the Evo is probably going to be a much better daily driver than a Corvette or Boss. My son also has a new Evo X and it is simply amazing in the snow with snow tires. Plus, with just a few mods, it is quite quick. I think in the end that I would go for that WW Evo that you are looking at.
Cool. As much as I like the Boss, and as cool as the coming 2013 Boss looks, I weighed the odds and I wouldn't trade my wife's V6 for that, or buy one for myself. The list is down to Evo Vs Vette and something tells me, that's not going to change. I even checked out and STi Sedan the other day, and no. Not for me.

So, last night I finally got to drive the Corvette, a 2007, LS2 powered, with 50K miles. Unfortunately, my wife didn't drive it.

Look, it's an amazing car. The drive was worth it for many reasons, but the biggest one was that now I'm sure that if I go Corvette, it'll be a C6 like the one I drove and not a C5 like I originally was looking at. The interiors are not amazing, but they are a big improvement over the C5. I prefer the styling too.

This one was nice, clean and well taken care of. The sound of the V8 is intoxicating. The stance, look and presence are amazing. However, there are plenty of drawbacks too... It feels big and heavy compared to the Evo, it's more a handful to drive and it feels more Mustang than MX-5. Also, I can tell my wife prefers I buy the Evo over the Vette.

I'm going to sit and draw up that final list of pros and cons and see which one comes out winning. Then I'll go from there.

If it were the Vette, this one is actually nearly perfect to what I'm looking for, except for 2 things... 1. It's silver (I really don't like silver cars) 2. It's got more than 15k miles more than the 40K that I wanted the car to have.

Here's a photo of it:

Last edited by kiteboarder; Jan 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:35 AM

I might have completely thrown the Corvette option out the window. For 2 reasons.

1. Apparently, I can't buy one unless it includes a mullet.
2. For $30,000 or so I'd rather buy a Porsche Cayman with 55k miles over a Vette. (Just found that out thanks to a friend's suggestion

So, the Evo X is still on top.

By the way, I did my pros and cons list and the Evo X beat the Corvette by at least 4 points.

Still busy putting the money together. I still have time to play with ideas.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

I own both 07 Z06 and a 10 MR. Comparing the two cars is like comparing apples and oranges. It's true what someone posted earlier: i.e. driving the Vette near its limits can be intimidating compared to the Evo, not only due to the speed differences generated by the two cars, but also by the fact that the Z06's rock-hard suspension is not optimal for spirited driving on normal roads. Driving fast around mountain roads on the Z can make even the most skilled driver nervous, specially if the driver is unfamiliar with the road and cannot proactively avoid mid-corner road irregularities. Changing to regular tires from the stock run-flats does help, but unless you get the magnetic ride setup that came out as an option in 2011, be aware of that. The regular Vette's suspension is more compliant, but i have not driven one, so I can't comment on it. As far as build quality/reliability, i know what I'm going to say next will not sit well with some, but the truth is the Z06 is in a totally different category. I have experienced zero defects with the Vette, and although the suspension is a lot firmer than the MR, the interior is rattle-free. The MR, on the other hand, although it's 3 years newer (and still bone stock), so far has experienced several issues (leaky transmission, clunk going over driveways caused by a loose front strut brace, click coming from front of car when making left and/or right u-turns), not to mention that it's a rattle can inside. Surprisingly, gas mileage on both cars is about the same in normal driving, which speaks volumes about the inefficiency of the Mitsu 2.0 liter motor. Am I unhappy with the Evo? No, I think it's a fun car to drive, it's definitely quicker and easier to drive on tight mountain roads, it's great in bad weather, it has a back seat and a better sound system. Oh, I almost forgot: run away from C5's...

Last edited by acm_evo; Jan 13, 2012 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Enthusiast Possible New Evo Owner