Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Rustproofing the undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Yea thats true. Who wants to be the guinea pig for it lol
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:41 PM

Any other options?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 08:54 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
eastwood.com

Works great.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Save the Evos !

So I bought two new cars new in 2012. A KIA Sportage and Evo X MR. After owning them for a month or two I decided to be proactive and do my own rust proofing. The KIA had better factory rubber undercoating than the Evo! Not the material being better, just that they did MORE of it. I finished what the factory started on both cars using NAPA rubberized undercoat spray (rattle can). Use the correct gas mask. I will say that again: use the correct gas mask! This stuff is nasty. When it dries, you cannot tell it apart from the factory rubber rust proofing stuff. Fast forward 2 more NY winters. I inspect the undercarriage of the Evo X and find rust at nearly all weld joints of the supporting subframes and other areas like the jack points, and bumper area. So any rust I can spot I bead blast to bare metal and coat with POR-15. This is now my go forward plan every other year. Inspect - blast away rust, coat in POR-15. The areas that I have done show zero signs of rust coming back. You have to get to bare metal. I believe that if I keep inspecting, removing, coating that I will keep this evo alive and well. Looking under it right now you would think it was Texas car !

The blue can is NAPA rubberized undercoat and the bottle next to it is the bead blaster.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by khmerguyx
That's where I got mine done. The quality of their undercoating is quite impressive and I have no complains.

Rustproofing the undercarriage?-d40p6nd.jpg
Rustproofing the undercarriage?-gcwtvxv.jpg
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:43 AM
kaj

Before anyone uses Por15, check out the site I listed. Trust me. I had a rusted-out Grand National. After a month of research, I found Eastwood products to be better and simpler to use. Some can be sprayed right over existing rust.
At least give it a browse. Awesome stuff, I promise.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
Before anyone uses Por15, check out the site I listed. Trust me. I had a rusted-out Grand National. After a month of research, I found Eastwood products to be better and simpler to use. Some can be sprayed right over existing rust.
At least give it a browse. Awesome stuff, I promise.
Eastwood does have good products. I buy my por-15 from them. Which stands for paint over rust (por). However, if you want it done right then bare metal is the best way to go no matter what the can says.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 01:07 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Eastwood does have good products. I buy my por-15 from them. Which stands for paint over rust (por). However, if you want it done right then bare metal is the best way to go no matter what the can says.
i agree. but some places are hard to reach (inside flame rails, etc) and need something to go over. it's last-ditch, but an option. POR was okay, but i liked some of the other stuff a bit better. either is better than nothing, though.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lightsaber
That's where I got mine done. The quality of their undercoating is quite impressive and I have no complains.
Looks like they did an awesome job
Old Oct 31, 2015, 04:30 AM

Does anyone know of a shop in the Boston area that will apply this stuff to the car,I don't have a compresser or a jack to get under the car.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:05 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
What type of abrasive would be best for blasting rust from our under carriages?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kevin.
What type of abrasive would be best for blasting rust from our under carriages?
Honestly I am unsure what I was using. It is fine and black. My father who is an aircraft mechanic provided it to me. It might be this stuff:

http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/...-abrasives.php

I also have walnut shell, which I acquired at Harbor Freight, but I have not used it yet.

~Jaraxle
Old Nov 4, 2016, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Just to chime in late, I switched from FluidFilm to Amsoil HD metal protector and I couldn't be happier. It dries to a waxy film and isn't as runny or dirty looking as Fluid Film. FF did a really good job for the first three winters I applied it but it always smelled terrible for a couple days and would drip in my garage in the summers. The HD holds up longer and looks better dried.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 04:53 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Honestly I am unsure what I was using. It is fine and black. My father who is an aircraft mechanic provided it to me. It might be this stuff:

http://www.blackbeautyabrasives.com/...-abrasives.php

I also have walnut shell, which I acquired at Harbor Freight, but I have not used it yet.

~Jaraxle
That product sounds impressive! What grade do you think you used? and nozzle size?

Isn't walnut shell the least abrasive? What does rust-free paint removal mean? lol

Thanks for the link. I wonder how I can get a hold of that stuff

Originally Posted by splattj
Just to chime in late, I switched from FluidFilm to Amsoil HD metal protector and I couldn't be happier. It dries to a waxy film and isn't as runny or dirty looking as Fluid Film. FF did a really good job for the first three winters I applied it but it always smelled terrible for a couple days and would drip in my garage in the summers. The HD holds up longer and looks better dried.
I've always liked AMSOIL fluids. Big fan of their fluids. I need to find a blaster and some media asap
Old Nov 9, 2016, 07:16 PM

Any Virginia folks doing this? I feel they don't salt the roads here frequently enough for it be an issue, but they do get salted a handful of times per winter...

Quick Reply: Rustproofing the undercarriage?