Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Intercooler Water Spray?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilRob
What are you talking about rob? We are chill, although you seem like the one getting worked up about it. It is useless, 99% of the people will not be able to tell a difference. It's as usless as a big *** wing for DD (I love my big wing), or VG's on top of the roof.
Who said you have to tell a difference? the car will definitely feel the difference between a heat soaked intercooler, and a cooled one ( by spraying cool water/alcohol to it) so don't say 99% won't tell the difference, say 99% don't know what IC sprayer is, nor how does it work.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Who said you have to tell a difference? the car will definitely feel the difference between a heat soaked intercooler, and a cooled one ( by spraying cool water/alcohol to it) so don't say 99% won't tell the difference, say 99% don't know what IC sprayer is, nor how does it work.
Do you have an IC spray? Have you ever used one? We don't have them here in the states an our cars don’t blow up. I never had my IC heat soak, I live in Michigan though. Is there even any other car out there that has IC sprayers from the factory including exotics or supercars?(excluding baha race prepped cars/trucks) I can't seem to think of one. You would think that if these sprayers made so much difference a buggati vayron would have it to spray down its massive radiators and ICs.

Honestly to me they don’t make sense. First you have to have a container in your car filled with alc/water which adds weight. Second you are risking of getting more mud in-between the fins of the IC than before. Third how long do you think the reservoir is going to last you if you rally your car on a long track/course? Fourth, wouldn’t it be easier to just have a plastic sprayer that you could use after every lap/auto x circuit you run? Why carry that extra weight in the car if you can pit and spray yourself down with cold water that’s actually chilled instead of some stuff sitting in your trunk mixed with alc.

Rob do you have an IC spray on your car? Just curious.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...r-sprayer.html

Last edited by EvilRob; Jan 31, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is there even any other car out there that has IC sprayers from the factory including exotics or supercars?(excluding baha race prepped cars/trucks) I can't seem to think of one.
Dude, you seriously need to get out more, at least before posting.

What car is the main competitor to the Evo? That's right, the STi. And it comes with an IC sprayer and it comes with one IN THE US.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Dude, you seriously need to get out more, at least before posting.

What car is the main competitor to the Evo? That's right, the STi. And it comes with an IC sprayer and it comes with one IN THE US.
DUDE THATS NOT WHAT I MEANT. Name any other car for me any turbo charged car thats not rally, did you see the little joke I made about baha prepped trucks. I dont see audi r8 or an srt model that has an IC sprayer. Also I like how you focused on one single thing in that entire post. How about the rest of the questions and you give me an answer.

"You need to get out more before posting" also makes no sense. What will I see when I get out other than some trees and a sidewalk. Oh you mean maybe I should do more research before I post, now it makes sense.

PS I browsed through subarus website and could not find an option for an ic sprayer that comes with a 2008+ sti. Not calling you a liar but can you post a link?

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/wrxsti2008.html

"STI prices and specs announced 11/15/07. The 2008 STI is only available as a wagon, there is no sedan available. Most other rally cars are wagons so this is no surprise. It is also based on the Legacy platform. The ride is smoother. Acceleration is strong but with less 'surge'. The intercooler spray has been dropped. There are 3 STI models: 1: with 5 spoke alloys; 2: with BBS forged alloys and fog lights, and 3: with BBS alloys, fog lights and Navigation/audio system. DCCD system has been upgraded with 3 automatic modes (normal, slick road, dry road), plus the manual settings. Off-black leather trim with gray Alcantara seating surfaces is the only material available. There is no sunroof or leather available. "

DUDE...

Last edited by EvilRob; Jan 31, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Whether Scooby dropped the IC sprayer is kind of irrelevant. I think that I now understand your position and it seems highly logical to me. It goes something like this: no reasonable cars ever came with IC sprayers and if you mention any of the rally cars are reasonably priced and came with IC sprayers I'll say that those are out-of-bounds for this conversation because they are rally cars (which isn't normal), but I'll still turn around a moment later and say that it's ridiculous that some Evos and/or Scoobies came with IC sprayers, ignoring that a moment before I said that rally cars are out-of-bounds.

In short, I give.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Whether Scooby dropped the IC sprayer is kind of irrelevant. I think that I now understand your position and it seems highly logical to me. It goes something like this: no reasonable cars ever came with IC sprayers and if you mention any of the rally cars are reasonably priced and came with IC sprayers I'll say that those are out-of-bounds for this conversation because they are rally cars (which isn't normal), but I'll still turn around a moment later and say that it's ridiculous that some Evos and/or Scoobies came with IC sprayers, ignoring that a moment before I said that rally cars are out-of-bounds.

In short, I give.

It's cool man I don't mean to come off as an ***. Sorry if i did.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Do you have an IC spray? Have you ever used one? We don't have them here in the states an our cars don’t blow up. I never had my IC heat soak, I live in Michigan though. Is there even any other car out there that has IC sprayers from the factory including exotics or supercars?(excluding baha race prepped cars/trucks) I can't seem to think of one. You would think that if these sprayers made so much difference a buggati vayron would have it to spray down its massive radiators and ICs.

Honestly to me they don’t make sense. First you have to have a container in your car filled with alc/water which adds weight. Second you are risking of getting more mud in-between the fins of the IC than before. Third how long do you think the reservoir is going to last you if you rally your car on a long track/course? Fourth, wouldn’t it be easier to just have a plastic sprayer that you could use after every lap/auto x circuit you run? Why carry that extra weight in the car if you can pit and spray yourself down with cold water that’s actually chilled instead of some stuff sitting in your trunk mixed with alc.

no i do not have one, but if you get one for me i would rock it

Probably this summer will be on it. All other evo rally car around me has it they use a same tank as a wind shield washer, so its a little bit more complex thing as a factory. bigger tank on the back etc.

I really want one, just so far i need a money to build a car, and get tires etc. I ma missing it only because my budget, not like i dont like to have one.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew-EVOX
It would benefit people like me that live it Florida and have almost 100 degree weather in the summer haha
Just take the fog lights out and get more air flow inside your engine. your intercooler is already in the cooler possible place, what you need is to avoid the engine to transfer heat back to the intercooler, some guys just heat protect the back face of the intercooler and intercooler pipes, so the engine doesn't affect it. They have nice results I heard.
A wider intercooler it's also more effective, mine from ETS has almost double the area of heat transfer than stock. I have also all wrapped the cool air line from the intercooler, silicone hoses, etc. I live in Florida too, my engine temperature is always less than the middle, even in July, I think that I did well.

I really don't think that spraying water (at the same environment temperature 100 degrees) is going to help you, unless you take your intercooler to the limit (maybe if Tommy makinnen or Sebastian Loeb is driving it in middle of the Sahara desert.
Also remember than the evo IX had the turbo in the front near the intercooler so it would be provably more heat affecting the intercooler. Maybe engineers found out that in the case of the evo IX was necessary to install it.
I had one intercooler spray and the best fun that I had with it was to spray my dog every time that she passes in front of the car.
I remove it when I saw a couple of guys in Hondas spraying water and installing fake blow of valves.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

How do you "heat protect" the back of an intercooler without reducing air flow?

And why not just pull the AC fuse and then switch on the AC to keep the fan running high while sitting in grid or in line?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
I used my intercooler sprayer all the time when I had my VIII. Driving long distance trips 80-100 mph especially during the summer time....I had to keep buying washer fluid, good thing its cheap...
Old Feb 6, 2012, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

DIY Suby version I stumbled on:
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=10716
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

1. Yes I do have an IC sprayer
2. Yes I do use it
3. Yes you have it in the states, I believe up to 2005, only evo 9 came without it.
4. Of course the car won't blow up, but it will pull timing when it senses knock due to the hot charge of air entering the manifold. Be glad you have decent fuel over there, I have to deal with 89 octane fuel, that's the best I can get, so cooling my intercooler is crucial.

Finally, the reason the sprayer even exist is so Mitsubishi could install it in the WRC version of the car, do you think those engineers would install something that just takes up space and does nothing for the car?
I know mitsubishi is not racing in the WRC anymore, and that's probably why the sprayer got dropped from production, it came in my car because it is a RS, so it is meant to be used for group N rally racing. I have several friends that do rally racing here, and they ALL use their intercooler sprayers, they need to.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Had one on my 05 STi, sadly it was only manual use, not auto, like the switch posted by the OP. That would be sweet.

I live in Phx. Summer time I've seen intake air temps break 175 degrees with outside air temps holding to 100+ even till midnight when it's dark. Heatsoak, happens. Stop n' go traffic for the first 20 miles of my commute home from work. Getting off the freeway it's as bad as not being intercooled at all. One of the reasons I liked the Evo with the FMIC over the Subie's TMIC strategy. But I could devote an entire thread pointing out that the TMIC on the subie is a fantastic design since the engine is an H4, and how nearly every place the a subie is sold except here in Phx just going with a bigger TMIC is a better solution.

Now that I have the Evo, I can't wait to hit up ETS for a spiffy FMIC

The real big laugh on all this is when you find people that put tap water in the reservoir for them. /facepalm not using distilled water

Last edited by TheBlade; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

My brother has a 2005 Sti, and you are right, it has the sprayer with manual option only, although I like how it stays spraying for a few seconds after you release the button ( the evo needs to be kept pushed to spray).
I did have a bigger FMIC, that didn't work well for me, so I went back to stock, flashed some settings to the ECU so the auto sprayer works, and now I have a much happier car, accelerates better, feels quicker than it did with the huge FMIC.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
My brother has a 2005 Sti, and you are right, it has the sprayer with manual option only, although I like how it stays spraying for a few seconds after you release the button ( the evo needs to be kept pushed to spray).
I did have a bigger FMIC, that didn't work well for me, so I went back to stock, flashed some settings to the ECU so the auto sprayer works, and now I have a much happier car, accelerates better, feels quicker than it did with the huge FMIC.
Yeah, flat engine, lots of room on top, nice big super-functional hoodscoop and well made TMIC and feels lag-less with a big turbo. It's a very good recipe for a midrange torque monster on the right gearing the STi has.

Phoenix heatsoak is ridiculous, and even still bad with a FMIC just from the heat coming off the asphalt, but, I love looking at Subies with FMICs, but always willing to give technical knowledge cred to those running nice TMICs.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Water Spray?