Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

'08 Evo X stuttering, Service Required, ASC Off, help!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new guess, if not a boost leak and w clean gas (please be careful, it's an Evo) then I think it's bad plugs. I go through them all the time (race gas) and it can get stuttering when they are tired...
Old Mar 4, 2012, 07:53 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will check the plugs tomorrow after work. I don't have the tools to do it right now. Thanks guys
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:00 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Blah. It drove fine today at lunch. Then on the way home it started acting up again. I'm having the local shop look at it; they will check it out for free. I'll post what they find.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Johnr352
Yes. 87 is bad. It probably wouldnt stutter though but could hurt the motor. Check your receipt. first get good gas in the car.

The cel light is gone but the code is stored. Get a code reader and see what it says. Auto zone has them to borrow I think.

Evo x plugs are iridium and don't get tapped. They could be bad, but gap isn't it.

No way to check you MAF sensor, replace it and see if you are fixed.
I dont think its your MAF if you cleared the CEL. I have been through a couple of bad MAFs and the CEL will continue to pop back very quickly, even after resetting the ECU.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 06:45 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Ok, the mechanic called and said the plugs are fine. He drove it and said he couldn't tell that anything was wrong. Typical........I told him to make sure he's letting it warm up before taking it out since the ECU keeps the boost conservative for a few minutes if it's been off for a while. I'm gonna put my head through the monitor if it never acts up on him.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Is this mechanic also a tuner with a dyno? I wonder what he is doing to indicate the plugs are fine? In mine, when it has been a little stuttery I just swap the plugs and it goes away. The plugs look fine but at WOT they seem tired. If you can't find anything else wrong you might just try putting in a fresh set, at $45 it will cross it off the list.

If it isn't the plugs and everything seems tight and no codes, you need a full service shop that can get the car on a dyno, evaluate your tune and really check out what is going on, even at WOT. A quick turn around the block won't do that. If you haven't yet, find that shop.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Now-a-days you cant take a car this advanced to your local grease monkey, unless he specializes in Japanese car/ Mitsubishi engines. I showed my car to my family mechanic at the gas station and his eyes were bulging from behind his glasses when i popped the hood. He said, "Where you go and get this computer from? Lawd have mercy, ima have to drag my son off that damn xbox and come look at this, it might be time for me to retire mmm mmm mmm." lmao
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:38 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Ok the mechanic took it out again today. He let it warm up for 5 minutes before driving it, and he said it failed in a most violent manner LOL. They read the codes and it says bad plugs!! Plugs are being overnighted to their shop and I should have it back tomorrow. Looks like a lot of you guys were right! Thanks for all the help.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laz
Ok the mechanic took it out again today. He let it warm up for 5 minutes before driving it, and he said it failed in a most violent manner LOL. They read the codes and it says bad plugs!! Plugs are being overnighted to their shop and I should have it back tomorrow. Looks like a lot of you guys were right! Thanks for all the help.
Ok! What do I win??

Glad it is sorted. Buy another set, good to have a spare...
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So, the code was a P030x?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 03:55 AM
Laz
Evolving Member

Not sure, I will ask when I pick it up today.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Oh my GOD. I got a call from the mechanic today. The plugs didn't fix the problem at all!!! He is refusing to try anything else because he admits that it would just be a shot in the dark. I have the car back now and it's hesitating and missing like hell still, even with brand new iridium plugs. UGH

Does anyone know of a reputable tuner in the Winston-Salem, NC area? The last time I got my car tuned was 2.5 years ago. Maybe something has changed since then, but there was nobody within 60 miles of me that could do it in 2009.

If my car does need a re-tune, how did this happen? Why would the car run PERFECT for 2.5 years and then all of a sudden need a re-tune?

Last edited by Laz; Mar 8, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 05:54 PM

How many miles do you have on it? Dont want to sound like a broken record but check the timing chain for stretch. It sounds as if you're in limp mode so its something significant. I've had issues with timing chain on my 08. From what I've seen it happens around the 60k mile mark.

~Nate
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laz
Oh my GOD. I got a call from the mechanic today. The plugs didn't fix the problem at all!!! He is refusing to try anything else because he admits that it would just be a shot in the dark. I have the car back now and it's hesitating and missing like hell still, even with brand new iridium plugs. UGH

Does anyone know of a reputable tuner in the Winston-Salem, NC area? The last time I got my car tuned was 2.5 years ago. Maybe something has changed since then, but there was nobody within 60 miles of me that could do it in 2009.

If my car does need a re-tune, how did this happen? Why would the car run PERFECT for 2.5 years and then all of a sudden need a re-tune?
I didn't win? Tunes don't do that, they don't just go bad unless something has changed with the car. Something has changed and you need to get it to a better shop to figure it out. MAF, MAP or some other sensor has failed I suspect (but I was wrong about the plugs so what do I know). You are smart to get it to a shop that can sort it out. Throwing parts at it will make you crazy.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 06:43 PM
Laz
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nvisan
How many miles do you have on it? Dont want to sound like a broken record but check the timing chain for stretch. It sounds as if you're in limp mode so its something significant. I've had issues with timing chain on my 08. From what I've seen it happens around the 60k mile mark.

~Nate
I'm at 30k. I don't think it's limp mode because it still boosts like hell, it just hesitates real bad. I've never been on limp mode so I could be wrong. I thought limp mode was just no turbo basically.

Quick Reply: '08 Evo X stuttering, Service Required, ASC Off, help!!