Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

thinking to move to evo from BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking to move to evo from BMW M3

thinking to sell my 2005 M3 and get new evo X.
What do you guys think. Has anybody driven both?
How they compare. I dont want to feel lost of power.
Are they reliable cars, any major known problems?

Thanks Guys
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

With a tune it should be faster then the old m3
With full tbe exhaust/tune it would kill it.

Reliable i guess its pretty reliable. Only thing is most people wont keep theirs stock.
Basic bolt ons should still be pretty reliable.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had mine for two years. full bolt ons with no problem ever, spirited driving occassionally...as far as power to an m3, i never encountered one but I hurt an m5's feelings once. The only thing you may regret is the "status" of owning a bmw. m series epecially..but if that superficial stuff is not important then go for it!! gsr not the mr!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:06 PM

u should be fine i drove couple m3s and you only need basicbolt ons and ur fine
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:21 AM

I went from an 05 S4, not exactly an M3 but it was a very nice car to 11 EVO X MR Touring this week. Had reservations, am 100% thrilled with the EVO and glad I made the move. I'd do it again and not look back. Power is there, it's a great car.

My wife was pretty pissed when I came home with the EVO. finally got that fixed last night after taking her for 2 hour drive .
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Is just a fun car to drive and look at

Last edited by speedytl; Mar 17, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 06:53 AM

I had the same thought, i could have bought an 05 m3 or an 05 evo 8, after test driving both back in the day. i feel in love with the evo more. In your case you will like the evo x. like one guy stated a nice tune will do you good.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You definitely wont feel any loss of power

Get a few bolt ons a tune and you'll be amazed
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:13 AM

I will comment on the reliability question you had. I do not own a X, but have a March 2003 VIII which is nine years old and 80k miles. Usual mods, around 340hp. at the wheels. A couple of track days, spirited driving but have never launched it or dragged. Would you believe that my only repairs other than the $70 oil changes at the dealer is a new timing belt and brake pads? This is a zero maintenance car if you treat it carefully. Guess what, it drives just as tight now as the day I bought it.

My opinion is that you will have reliability issues if you abuse it or use the wrong mods. I was careful in modding mine and only went for best options that did not affect the reliability based on the advice I received from the other owners.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Edit: Actually I didn't read what you said close enough. Sorry. You have the M3 and I was looking at the M3 vs the Evo

I was in the same position as you a little over a month ago and I went with a 2012 WW GSR. The bang for the buck as they say is amazing. I love BMW's and if the new models were the same price as the EVO I might have gone a different way (might being the key word). And, at least where I am, I see at least one M3 a day if not more. I have only seen a couple Evo's in the little over the month I have had mine. (not counting Evo meets if course) And from what I have read, the Evo is less expensive to get more power from.

And the all wheel drive makes aggressive driving seem so easy.

Last edited by Uscbryan; Mar 17, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gearing in the trans will be another thing to take into consideration. evo gearing is super short compared to bmw's or other german cars.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dek0026
gearing in the trans will be another thing to take into consideration. evo gearing is super short compared to bmw's or other german cars.
True
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I had an E46 M3 too. Loved it, but couldn't drive it year round in Chicago like an Evo. Evo also feels more alive in your hands and has quicker responses. You are obviously going to take a step down in terms of brand image/material quality, but I think its worth it. Turbo power is addicting. Put on a few bolt-ons and get an ECU tune, and you will never look back.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
I agree with deco ! I had a E92 335i tuned with bolt ons first gear takes you to if i remember correctly 40MPH !!! second gear is 65MPH !! I love the gears because you would be shifting less constantly compare to the evo.... in the evo i have to shift 1 right away to 2 right away to 3 and 4 for normal driving. By the time i shift to 3 ... there is no power when i step on the gas until WAIT FOR IT ..... oh here comes the turbo..... dont get me wrong i love my evo... but i would prefer a E46 m3

OP i would recommend keeping ur E46 M3, The Evo is very very nice track car, BMW M3 is a different level with better gearing ....

drove my cousin's new BMW 1M ... the manual transmission on that car is so much nicer (and its almost the same as my 335i which made me miss my old bmw) it has butter smooth and liner acceleration. EVO is very raw ...
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:35 PM

Just googled your question. Many people have been asking the same thing!

Quick Reply: thinking to move to evo from BMW M3