Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Recaro Seat Covers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recaro Seat Covers

Hey guys,

I recently traded in my '11 Ralliart for a '12 Evo X, GSR.

In order to get out of my negative equity situation, I had to drain my personal savings. So, any money I was saving for mods and leather seats has been put on hold for a while.

That said, does anyone know of some fairly cheap seat covers that would fit the recaros?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:45 PM

Mitsubishi installed airbags in the seats as part of the factory SRS airbag system. It is recommended NOT to cover the stock Recaro seats with any type of "Seat Covers"
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:38 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

^^ +1. Probably just best to save up for a while and get the Mitsu Certified Leather installed..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-leather.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...h-leather.html

http://roadwiremclp.com/index.html (has catalog of leather choices)

Think I'm gonna keep mine cloth for a couple years, then go this route if they start looking too worn out.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:24 AM

That being said there are plenty of seat covers that are designed to fit seat with air bags. I have neoprene seat covers in my wife's audi and I have sheep skin covers on my seats. The seat covers have an easily opened side where the airbag can pop out.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

^ I have coverking neoprenes on mine and they are airbag compliant Not that I have tested them...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I bet seat covers on the Recaros will be like a bra on the front of the car; cause more wear and damage than they prevent. I never understood why people cover seats, dashboards, steering wheels, etc. Simple care such as cleaning, vacuuming, and using protectant will keep interiors looking brand new for years. The interior of my '94 Eagle Talon with 162k miles on it still looked nearly brand new when I sold it because the owners before me and then myself took good care of it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You didn't like the Ralliart that much to drain your personal savings to trade up to an Evo? Why did you decide to make the switch?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Draining the savings pretty extream and normal never a good idea, but congrats anyway.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:56 PM

congrats!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
I bet seat covers on the Recaros will be like a bra on the front of the car; cause more wear and damage than they prevent. I never understood why people cover seats, dashboards, steering wheels, etc. Simple care such as cleaning, vacuuming, and using protectant will keep interiors looking brand new for years. The interior of my '94 Eagle Talon with 162k miles on it still looked nearly brand new when I sold it because the owners before me and then myself took good care of it.
^^ Couldn't agree more with "Kracka"

To the OP:

Airbag deployment is extremely tricky and especially side-impact airbags. The absence of the "crumple zone" during a side impact really emphasizes the importance of having side airbags. Unless, a company has tested their seat covers on our Evo X by providing field test experiments, I wouldn't put any type of seat cover or risk interfering with the airbag deployment.

Also, just because a company claims an aftermarket product is "safe" doesn't necessarily mean it IS safe.

I am going back to this again because it seems like you want to opt for a "cheap temporary fix" solution to replacing the seats, but I personally wouldn't trust my life on a $30 seat skin from autozone
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by iEvolutionX
^^ Couldn't agree more with "Kracka"

To the OP:

Airbag deployment is extremely tricky and especially side-impact airbags. The absence of the "crumple zone" during a side impact really emphasizes the importance of having side airbags. Unless, a company has tested their seat covers on our Evo X by providing field test experiments, I wouldn't put any type of seat cover or risk interfering with the airbag deployment.

Also, just because a company claims an aftermarket product is "safe" doesn't necessarily mean it IS safe.

I am going back to this again because it seems like you want to opt for a "cheap temporary fix" solution to replacing the seats, but I personally wouldn't trust my life on a $30 seat skin from autozone
K, you guys made a valid point. I'll wait and do Mitsu's leather
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
I need some sear covers for my recaros not because I like to cover up seats and all that but because I work heavy construction and get extremely muddy throughout the winter spring time and when during the day it's a nice 8° Celsius. By Time I'm off it can some times drop to -15, -20 and it is horrible changing out of my work clothes 6 days a week to avoid mud on the seat.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:02 PM

Just installed a set of Recaros in my FE that were redone with Roadwire. I dyed the stitch red to match the interior scheme.

Old Mar 25, 2016, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by xking
Just installed a set of Recaros in my FE that were redone with Roadwire. I dyed the stitch red to match the interior scheme.
Looks great man! (This is Brian from Facebook by the way)
Old Mar 25, 2016, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by bdean531
Looks great man! (This is Brian from Facebook by the way)
Thanks Brian! I feel like going for a drive just to sit in them lol.

Quick Reply: Recaro Seat Covers