Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Locking Glove Box or Safe Box?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Glove Box or Safe Box?

Searched everywhere and couldn't find any info on this. Anyone know of a way to add a locking mechanism for our glove box? or a good hidden and mounting area in the cabin for a small safe box?

The reason i'm asking is because i conceal carry daily and some places don't allow guns and locking it in the trunk everytime is a hassle and i don't want to show everyone in the area that i'm Carrying or trying to hide something in the trunk....

I know there's safe boxes where you can loop a cable around the seat rails but i want something more hidden than just under the seats

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by punk3r
Searched everywhere and couldn't find any info on this. Anyone know of a way to add a locking mechanism for our glove box? or a good hidden and mounting area in the cabin for a small safe box?

The reason i'm asking is because i conceal carry daily and some places don't allow guns and locking it in the trunk everytime is a hassle and i don't want to show everyone in the area that i'm Carrying or trying to hide something in the trunk....

I know there's safe boxes where you can loop a cable around the seat rails but i want something more hidden than just under the seats

Any help would be greatly appreciated
This is what I've been using. Bulldog Car Safe with Key Lock

You can slide it in and out of the mount. I know you said you don't want it under your seat but that's where I put mine. I just reach under and slide it out when I need it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:49 AM

RAPTR i actually like that more than the cable loop type. Thanks, i'll look into it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

What I have actually been thinking of doing, is modiying a current holster, to sit in the center armrest console of my car. I don't have an evo yet, so I don't know how well that would work for you, but if you want something lockable, thats a bit different.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder why didn't put a locking mechanism for the glove box?

I'll give the Bulldog safe a try http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Mounti...4935637&sr=8-1
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:41 AM

Wildcat Birdie - yea per regulations if i leave the firearms unattended it have to be in a locked compartment

Alpha X - yea it couldn't of been that much extra to throw a lock on the glove box..haha. Looked like under the seat isn't too bad so i'm looking into mounting the GunVault microVault to the floorboard under the Pass. seat or to the bottom of the driver seat itself.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Because a 'lock' on a plastic glove box is just silly. You tell someone there is something of value there and a simple tug opens it.

The lock box under the seat makes much more sense.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Wildcat Birdie - yea per regulations if i leave the firearms unattended it have to be in a locked compartment

Alpha X - yea it couldn't of been that much extra to throw a lock on the glove box..haha. Looked like under the seat isn't too bad so i'm looking into mounting the GunVault microVault to the floorboard under the Pass. seat or to the bottom of the driver seat itself.
Just a heads up on the GunVault, for some reason the foam stinks to high heaven. It'll make your piece smell too. The solution is to wash the foam in the clothes washer with a towel. Sometimes it takes more than two passes to get the smell to leave. I really like the thin profile of the GunVault but I went with the Bulldog because of how rugged it is and the ability to bolt it to the floor.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

But if you lock the car it is just a really large locked compartment...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:00 AM

Veronica - yea but it would still be nice to have a lock on the glove box haha

RAPTR - Thanks for the heads up, i would be pissed if it stink up the car after i bolt it to the floorboard. haha.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie
But if you lock the car it is just a really large locked compartment...
this is true! i guess it comes down to not getting my guns stolen haha
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

this is true! i guess it comes down to not getting my guns stolen haha

Well if your car gets broken into, they can steal it no matter what you do really. if you have it in a small lock box, they can just take the box.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If anyone gets into your car--what are the first 2 places they are going to look for something to steal? The glove box and the center console and a screw driver will break them in a million pieces in short order with a lock. NEVER put your arms in those two places--the kids breaking in want your stereo, money and music--getting a gun--well what a bonus for them and that puts you responsible for its use--not directly of course, but your not going to be happy to hear your stolen weapon was used in a crime-. Look real hard at under the seat alternatives at least. Trunk in a case is better.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
If anyone gets into your car--what are the first 2 places they are going to look for something to steal? The glove box and the center console and a screw driver will break them in a million pieces in short order with a lock. NEVER put your arms in those two places--the kids breaking in want your stereo, money and music--getting a gun--well what a bonus for them and that puts you responsible for its use--not directly of course, but your not going to be happy to hear your stolen weapon was used in a crime-. Look real hard at under the seat alternatives at least. Trunk in a case is better.
I think i'm gonna go with a medium size GunVault bolted to the floorboard under the pass. seat. Big enough to hold mine and the wife's guns. A small safe box bolted to the right side of the trunk is the back up option.

Last edited by punk3r; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:34 AM

Anyone know if there's anything that might get damage if i drill through the pass. floorboard? and for all of you that's thinking why can't i just go outside and look at the car, it's because i'm currently deployed and just planning a few project ahead of time for when i get home.

Quick Reply: Locking Glove Box or Safe Box?