Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Camera for Recording Vandalism

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Camera for Recording Vandalism

Alright, so long story short, there seem to be a few punks that are vandalizing cars at my mother's work parking lot (Walgreens). They've ripped the Benz logo off of her car, ripped the left side mirror off of my Evo (random right?), smashed a bumper in (cost over $600 to fix), and even stole the BBS rims and performance tires off of a coworker's M3 and put the car on bricks. Anyway, I've been looking into car surveillance cameras since the store isn't agreeing to put cameras to watch all of the parking lot. Anyone have experience with these cameras and know of one that can record when the car is parked? I remember a while back when this guy caught someone keying his hummer with a hidden car camera. Something like that would be perfect. I appreciate all the help and would like to catch these bastards ASAP.

Last edited by GTSpec; Apr 21, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If the lot is public - i.e., there is no reasonable expectation of privacy there - and you do not record audio, then I see no reason why it would be illegal. The one issue is that the owners of the lot have already, in effect, said that they do not want to do what you intend to do. That's something that I've never read up on.

As always: I am not a lawyer, but I can read
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
If the lot is public - i.e., there is no reasonable expectation of privacy there - and you do not record audio, then I see no reason why it would be illegal. The one issue is that the owners of the lot have already, in effect, said that they do not want to do what you intend to do. That's something that I've never read up on.

Yeah, it's a public lot. I'm not worried about it being illegal, I just want to find a good camera for the job. The camera would be either on or in the car. Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:31 PM

Try BlackVue DR400G-HD. It will only get the front view (or wherever you place it) but doubles as a driving recorder to record accidents as well. When you park and turn off your computer, it goes into a low power mode and activates and records when it detects motion.

I am thinking about getting one for myself.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other then BlackVue DR400G-HD what are other cam out there?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

look at GoPro cameras, it's got wide angle lens, so you can capture a lot more area, but battery lasts about 2 hrs. you can charge it through usb, so you could get a usb/cig lighter charger. Btw it's not motion activated, so it will stay on the whole time and possibly drain your battery.
I wish there were some affordable high tech car alarms with built-in cameras out there...
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTSpec
Alright, so long story short, there seem to be a few punks that are vandalizing cars at my mother's work parking lot (Walgreens). They've ripped the Benz logo off of her car, ripped the left side mirror off of my Evo (random right?), smashed a bumper in (cost over $600 to fix), and even stole the BBS rims and performance tires off of a coworker's M3 and put the car on bricks. Anyway, I've been looking into car surveillance cameras since the store isn't agreeing to put cameras to watch all of the parking lot. Anyone have experience with these cameras and know of one that can record when the car is parked? I remember a while back when this guy caught someone keying his hummer with a hidden car camera. Something like that would be perfect. I appreciate all the help and would like to catch these bastards ASAP.
this works just fine http://www.skytrx.com/gps-car-camera...200-Specs.html and it has a power unit to plug into your fusebox which stays on without draining power from your battery and it still records just as long as you have a big memorycard along with nightvision.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of the Lambo owners here in Dallas just use their GoPros at parking lots when they go out. Some of their videos are in YouTube. You'll be amazed at what they have recorded.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

look up a coscto 8 camera with dvr setup. i put about 16 cameras up at an autobody shop and they are all plug and play and come with a dvr. Just supply a monitor and mount some cameras on the store looking at the parking lot
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

another deterrent would be to mount fake dome cameras to hopefully scare off thieves
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I've set up some security cameras at my house after a break in we had this year.

There are a TON of camera's on the market. I bought 4 of them from Ebay named HooToo's. They were $200. Motion detection, night vision, very nice clear picture. You can not video tape at night through a glass window is their only short coming. You can buy less than four of them. They will record pictures and you can set them up for instant e-mail notifications, where it stores the pictures too. For the money, hard to beat them.

I had another one, a Cisco IP camera, also worked excellent, no night vision though but it worked EXCEPTIONALLY with the Icam app that you can buy for an Iphone and Droid for $4.99 and sent live video and you can watch live video. You do need internet for both types I've used.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ +1 I bought two motion detecting cameras and they're mounted inside my car. Turn them on whenever I leave my car parked.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999

Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn by chance?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:17 AM

I'd say get a go pro.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn by chance?
Yes, I have. Why do you ask?

- Erin Andrews

Quick Reply: Camera for Recording Vandalism