Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

No-drone exhaust solution quieter than stock

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nvm, you said quieter than stock....

Add another cat-converter. You said track occasionally? Maybe run a different exhaust at the track?

Last edited by TheBlade; May 17, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

^Or install another resonator to the stock system.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Or have a friend tow you around everywhere. Won't even have to turn on the engine. I have a Ford Fiesta for sale - that is very quiet.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:13 PM

Dynamat Alternative

Hi zhupanov,

This seems like a good alternative to Dynamat. I haven't used this yet but I plan too later in the year.

EDIT:
Well that was embarrassing, my first post and I forgot the URL.
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Last edited by Fencer; May 17, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Most people actually prefer the louder note. Like myself.
Old May 17, 2012, 03:10 PM

just bought a 2011 gsr

i traded my 2008 GSR and bought a 2011 GSR. i thought i was losing my mind or maybe i never heard it but the 2011 is definitely louder and has a little more of a drone vs my old 2008. Both cars were stock. i definitely like the sound the new 2011 makes though
Old May 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you still want the performance you can consider an O2 dump, however it sounds like you are pretty picky so it might be risky if it increases volume at all. It also won't quiet things down at all.

You can consider a coating (ceramic, etc) or wrapping to get the exhaust moving better, adding another muffler or resonator if there is space (though I tend to find this quiets the exhaust behind the car but makes it louder below you), extra shielding below the driver to bounce sound down and toward the road/out, MIVEC tuning to reduce engine noise, Dynomat or other insulation all over (especially wheel wells, doors, floor under the driver, roof). Lower rolling resistance / quieter touring tires (RE960 AS or quieter), quiet glass if you are willing to make that investment.

You may want to check to see if any of the exhausts for the euro zone or JDM land are any better. They might have tighter restrictions.

If you are really crazy you can get smaller pipes put on the car. The ~3" pipes from the factory probably create some reversion that increases volume a bit (even though there is a turbo to dampen it). more baffling in the exhaust might help this too... but it is already pretty restrictive at low-flow. You should consider de-tuning if you go this route.

Also - to all the trolls. Thanks anyway, no one cares... please move along.

Last edited by fostytou; May 17, 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is an interesting thread where others are talking about a quiet exhaust but with performance....I saw a pic of a muffler with a valve on it...I guess it quiets the car down....check it out... Not sure if it is THE solution but one to look into.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-muffler.html
Old May 17, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by niteowl415
i traded my 2008 GSR and bought a 2011 GSR. i thought i was losing my mind or maybe i never heard it but the 2011 is definitely louder and has a little more of a drone vs my old 2008. Both cars were stock. i definitely like the sound the new 2011 makes though
The 11+ Evo's have a valve that opens inside the OE muffler to allow more flow. You can definitely hear the exhaust note change when you hit enough flow to open it. It's also why the '11+ Evo's dyno slightly higher than the 08-10 when 100% stock.

You can hear the example on my 100% stock baseline run I did last december in this vid:

http://youtu.be/ZSr7-YJ7eSw
Old May 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice vid, I could hear it best on the second pull. It also sounds like it took a couple secs more than ususal for the RPMs to drop at the end of both runs...was that just the rollers on the dyno??
Old May 17, 2012, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverShadow03
Nice vid, I could hear it best on the second pull. It also sounds like it took a couple secs more than ususal for the RPMs to drop at the end of both runs...was that just the rollers on the dyno??
Yeah it was just me being a n00b with being on rollers for the very first time in the driver's seat, and the guy running the dyno not really communicating with me.

I hit ~7k revs and just clutched in and let it come down in neutral, but did it super slow not knowing how the car would respond with the rollers going.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlade
The 11+ Evo's have a valve that opens inside the OE muffler to allow more flow. You can definitely hear the exhaust note change when you hit enough flow to open it. It's also why the '11+ Evo's dyno slightly higher than the 08-10 when 100% stock.

You can hear the example on my 100% stock baseline run I did last december in this vid:

http://youtu.be/ZSr7-YJ7eSw
thanks for the info buddy! nice to know and yea, i definitely feel a difference in the drive. the 2011 is much more linear and smooth when i step on it. the power feels like it comes on strong and the sound is heavenly
Old May 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

You got the wrong car, bottom line.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta agree with people in saying I think you bought the wrong car.
Old May 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alpha X
Stock is extremely quiet
This... my pet-hair-remover vacuum cleaner is much, much louder!

However, Mitsu could have done a better job with the interior issues... it's not that anyone here bought the wrong car. Is that for $30,000+ you shouldn't have as many rattles as grabbing an empty bottle of water...

All of Mitsu's cars that I've driven (with the exception of the US-made 2011 Eclipse GS sport my wife had) suffer from this noisy interior and rattly plastic... it is a bit annoying at times.

but yeah Op cant seriously think he can make his Evo any quieter... unless you turn your car off and throw away the keys... then i'll be much quieter!

Last edited by jazket; May 18, 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: No-drone exhaust solution quieter than stock