Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

No-drone exhaust solution quieter than stock

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-drone exhaust solution quieter than stock

Folks,

I have a goal that seems to differ from that of most Evo modders: I want to significantly improve the noise and subsonic vibrations level of 2012 MR Premium.

The plan is to use the car as a DD, with periodic trips to the track.
As is, the car is close, but not quite there. My chief issues are:
1. Drone peaking at around 1.3K RPM (close to idle)
2. Large amount of road noise (both tire and air)
3. Loud (and somewhat tinny) exhaust in general

Making the car perform better is NOT a goal here, although it would be desirable to not damage the performance (much).

My planned approach to addressing these is two-fold:
a) replace the exhaust system (as it seems to be responsible for 1 and 3 above).
b) Sound-insulate the car inside (which should help 2 and 3, but probably not 1).

Sadly, it would appear, that most people replacing exhaust are performance-motivated, and mostly ignore the noise aspects. Consequently, even exhaust components marketed as "quiet", "stealth", etc., tend to be, at best, described as "almost as quiet as stock". I am looking for something considerably quieter than stock, preferably with ABSOLUTELY NO drone at ANY RPMs. Being essentially sub-sonic, drone would be the hardest to defeat by insulation, so I figure it's best to not have it to start with.

The budget for this project is quite flexible -- I prioritize quality of the result far ahead of minimizing the cost.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!
Old May 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

HKS is really quiet.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:14 PM

I have the cobb quad tip exhaust on my car. I couldn't be more pleased with it. It eliminated all the drone and boom the stock exhaust has and really made the car much more pleasant to drive.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Is this post a joke?

^^^ I don't care how quiet the HKS Or Cobb exhaust is, nothing is gonna be quieter than stock. The only thing that I can think of trade/buy an exhaust off a 2008-2010 Evo.. They changed the exhaust on 2011+ and I believe it is slightly louder..

As far as road noise, you will never be able to eliminate all of it. Extra sound deadening will help some, but you will still hear noise through the roof and windows. It's a Mitsubishi..
Old May 16, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Guys in B8 Audi A4s have been using insulation they found at Lowes to kill exhaust drone and in cabin noise by plugging all of the holes they found in the trunk. It's not my style, but apparently it works. The plus side of that is it weighs less than dynamat and they noticed it did a better job. I never tried it or even cared to attempt it, though. I can pull up the thread on the Audi forum and PM it to you if you want...
Old May 16, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zhupanov
Folks,

I have a goal that seems to differ from that of most Evo modders: I want to significantly improve the noise and subsonic vibrations level of 2012 MR Premium.

Making the car perform better is NOT a goal here, although it would be desirable to not damage the performance (much).

a) replace the exhaust system (as it seems to be responsible for 1 and 3 above).
b) Sound-insulate the car inside (which should help 2 and 3, but probably not 1).

Sadly, it would appear, that most people replacing exhaust are performance-motivated, and mostly ignore the noise aspects. Consequently, even exhaust components marketed as "quiet", "stealth", etc., tend to be, at best, described as "almost as quiet as stock". I am looking for something considerably quieter than stock, preferably with ABSOLUTELY NO drone at ANY RPMs. Being essentially sub-sonic, drone would be the hardest to defeat by insulation, so I figure it's best to not have it to start with.

The budget for this project is quite flexible -- I prioritize quality of the result far ahead of minimizing the cost.

rarely will you find anything quieter than stock because stock is the most restrictive.

if you want quiter than stock add another inline muffler to the stock system.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EuroEclipse
Guys in B8 Audi A4s have been using insulation they found at Lowes to kill exhaust drone and in cabin noise by plugging all of the holes they found in the trunk. It's not my style, but apparently it works. The plus side of that is it weighs less than dynamat and they noticed it did a better job. I never tried it or even cared to attempt it, though. I can pull up the thread on the Audi forum and PM it to you if you want...
I have a B8 A4 and it's dead quiet on the inside. Compared to the Evo it's apples and oranges. Other Audi's I've had have all panels lined with styrofoam molded to fit inside. Most are super quiet. I had an S4 with downpipes and full exhaust loud as hell on the outside (not as loud as an Evo but loud) could barely hear it on the inside.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zhupanov
Folks,

Sounds as if you should have bought a different car...
Old May 16, 2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
Sounds as if you should have bought a different car...
My problem is that I don't fit (vertically) into most other cars with a helmet on. Of all series 1 and 3 BMWs, for instance, I can only (barely) fit into M3. Evo has the best seating position for me, and the car has several other outstanding characteristics that suit me really well. If I can improve the noise/drone situation, I will be beyond happy with it.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

sell it and buy a camry...
Old May 16, 2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by SD_Lurker
sell it and buy a camry...
I would like to massively thank you for your deeply insightful, helpful, and considerate commentary.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

sounds as if you should have bought a different car...
+1

Also do a search for "quiet exhaust" this topic has been discussed many times by other members. See what other folks went with who wanted a quiet exhaust because of there kids, personal needs, etc...
Old May 17, 2012, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Stock is extremely quiet
Old May 17, 2012, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have a B8 A4 and it's dead quiet on the inside. Compared to the Evo it's apples and oranges. Other Audi's I've had have all panels lined with styrofoam molded to fit inside. Most are super quiet. I had an S4 with downpipes and full exhaust loud as hell on the outside (not as loud as an Evo but loud) could barely hear it on the inside.
You haven't modded your exhaust on the B8 then I had a full 3" turboback on mine. It was loud.

I didn't do the insulation mod, because it didn't bother me. If it did, I wouldn't have modded my exhaust. A bunch of guys on AZ insulated theirs, though. They said it fixed the drone.
Old May 17, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Mine is pretty dead silent in the cabin. Heat wrap entire exhaust + aluminimum tape from cat back and some sound deadening in the trunk. Full UR turbo back.

Quick Reply: No-drone exhaust solution quieter than stock