Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Will stock exhaust with test pipe shoot fire or flame out?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I want to know is how well a high flow cat flows compared to a stock cat and a tp. I'm really considering taking off my tp to go with a high flow until I get my 2.4L this winter. I'm sick of no inspection and my car's a bit loud at times. I gained nothing at all putting my tp on, only thing I gained is no valid inspection.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

You do know there is a "force inspection" on the stock Evo 8/9/X ecu's right? Obviously Mike does so why he wouldn't enable it on your car to pass a plug in inspection is beyond me. Yes my AFR is high 11's at WOT. It's works plenty fine too.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
You do know there is a "force inspection" on the stock Evo 8/9/X ecu's right? Obviously Mike does so why he wouldn't enable it on your car to pass a plug in inspection is beyond me. Yes my AFR is high 11's at WOT. It's works plenty fine too.
Yea my ecu is clear to pass but any decent shop is going to put it on a lift and see a straight pipe.

And high 11's is damn lean is it not? I've always ran my motors at 10, the leanest I've ever had this evo was 10.5 at wot.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PatricksEvilEvo
Yea my ecu is clear to pass but any decent shop is going to put it on a lift and see a straight pipe.

And high 11's is damn lean is it not? I've always ran my motors at 10, the leanest I've ever had this evo was 10.5 at wot.

Do you really not have any hook ups for a visual inspection? And no mid to high 11's AFR is absolutely fine. Also a X is very different from an 8/9 and every car responds differently. Take it as sack riding if you want but you should honestly be taking your Evo to an Evo shop, like STM. Before you jump on your innovative tuning horse or whoever it might be, I've had no work or parts installed by STM or Emery, all I have is his tune on my car and it runs pretty hard for a bolt on 93 octane X.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Do the ghetto thing and cut the heat shield off of a car and wrap it around the test pipe... Visual inspection passed. My buddy did that in CA when he was sent to a state Ref. and it worked.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will a high flow cat and stock exhaust be worth it?
Old May 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainAsia
Will a high flow cat and stock exhaust be worth it?
Honestly Im going to say yes. I originally just put my test pipe on with all my other bolt ons, with the stock cat back and it made the same exact power as when I put my catback on and had Emery retune the car. All it did was make the turbo spool quicker and picked up torque, no additional horsepower whatsoever. Although with the stock exhaust there is more back pressure so I'd assume the turbo has to work harder to make the target boost pressure as opposed to with a more free flowing exhaust.
Old May 29, 2012, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

If your shooting flames, you must really have a **** poor tune. I installed my downpipe and test pipe, I had some back firing on decel but NO flames at all. I know this because I get followed to work every day. There's no way gas should be making it all the way to the back before blowing up. That's not normal, get a new tuner. Hearing pops and actually shooting flames are two totally different things. Usually back fires happen at the elbow of the downpipe, not your cat-back L O L.
riiiiiiiiiight, that's why all those high-performance rally race cars shoot flames... because they couldn't find a good tuner to tune their race car.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Are u sure thats not the ALS? And not what ever is goin on here?
Old May 29, 2012, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I want to know is how well a high flow cat flows compared to a stock cat and a tp. I'm really considering taking off my tp to go with a high flow until I get my 2.4L this winter. I'm sick of no inspection and my car's a bit loud at times. I gained nothing at all putting my tp on, only thing I gained is no valid inspection.
I am from B-LO to and don't have any problems passing inspection, just take the 45min and swap out the tp for your oem cat and boom you pass. My WRX has passed many times at legit shops and its fully catless, I don't have a clue where the cats are for that car nor do I have any 'hook ups' for it.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3000GT-GTO
Will stock exhaust with test pipe shoot fire or flame out?
look at my sig for parts and does this pic help answer?

**edit sorry I just realized it said STOCK exhaust I am very ADD
Old May 29, 2012, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen some Evos shoot a torch like flame with a pop, and some that look like a news paper is on fire in the mufler. Not sure what's the difference.

There's dozens of vids of Evo X shooting flames on dynos and while rolling, most seem to have at least a catless tbe.

My idea of shooting flames
http://youtu.be/oVfBreSgfAM
Old May 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
it depends on the tune, I have a test pipe and catback and I don't shoot flames. Just tell your tuner you don't want flames when you get your car tuned
Old May 29, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha I think for that kinda flammage you'd have to get one of those kits that hot rods use...I think its an added spark plug in the exhaust w/ some sort of fuel spray and then the pressure from the exhaust pushes it out....like the hot rod in gone in 60 seconds
Old May 29, 2012, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Flames come from the car running more in the rich spectrum, I'm tuned and have had some pretty loud pops and crackles but shooting the fire ball only a handfull of times in the 3yrs I have had my X

Quick Reply: Will stock exhaust with test pipe shoot fire or flame out?