Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Starting to tune my first turbo car. Opinions/Help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Starting to tune my first turbo car. Opinions/Help needed

Hi guys, I've been here since 08... I took the Mitsubishi .6% APR 4yr deal.. (I was very sad when the 0.00% APR 6yr came out 3 months after). Today, I sent in my FINAL PAYMENT!!! So anyways, I want to put a small portion of my payment fund into modding. This is my first turbo car. My last car was a Nissan 350z. So I need help!!

My goal for now is a daily drive-able (LA Traffic) fun car. In a few years, I will pick up another DD and mod this for track. But as of now, I depend on the Evo for work. I don't understand turbo that much yet, so I don't want to get into anything too complicated for now.

Currently I have Exedy stage 1 clutch, ACT lightweight flywheel, Tein springs, SSP CMC, and Whiteline camberkit.

My plan on orders: unless some random parts comes on sale, this is the order I want to follow
- Coldair Intake (probably AMS)
- Exhaust (Greddy Tic)
- Downpipe
- Intercooler
- Upper/Lower intercooler Pipe
- Coilover kit
- 18s wheels, (looking at used RE30s / TM02s)

I may be adding some random cf parts, ie lips diffuser etc.. I definitely want the do-luck trunk. but I prefer having some wheels sitting flush before going wingless.

- What do you guys think of the order? any suggestions on anything else? This looks like a NA build.. I switched out every pipe on the Z to squeeze hp..
- Are these upper/lower intercooler pipes worth 800$ Or our stock ones good enough
- I know I need a tune somewhere.. when should I do it? It may take 3-4 months before I buy a part.. so this is a fairly slow build. I want to be safe on the tune.
- At what point are gauges necessary? And what are the necessary gauges to buy?

I've read about things like boost controller, bigger fuel injectors, etc.. but I'm not very familiar with those. If any of these are easy to deal with for a DD, I don't mind doing some research.

Thank you for any help in advance.

in return.. this is how we do it on da Z forum

Last edited by m0nkie; Jun 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel injectors and pump and go E85!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

That's a great list so far, and I like the order. If you're looking for a DD with good, solid mods then dot worry about the Lower IC pipe, yet. The upper, rear portion of the Upper IC is the part that will make the most change in the way the car feels.

That first .gif is mesmerizing. She reminds me of my ex.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally what they are doing

Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MisterHappy
Fuel injectors and pump and go E85!
I did the research for E85.. unfortunately that's not possible for me.. there's only 1 E85 gas station around my area.. I'd have to backtrack 7 miles to gas then drive to work..

do i need a tune after every mod? this is quite different from NA.. looks like I'll be grouping them together

and when does it become necessary to buy extra gauges for monitoring?

Last edited by m0nkie; Jul 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:09 AM

Hey monkie I noticed u have and act stage 1 clutch and a light fly wheel. How does that feel compared to stock?? I also DD my evo every day to work and what not and I know the clutches suck on evo's so ya I was wondering if I can get input on how it feels
Old Jul 1, 2012, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CounterConcept
Hey monkie I noticed u have and act stage 1 clutch and a light fly wheel. How does that feel compared to stock?? I also DD my evo every day to work and what not and I know the clutches suck on evo's so ya I was wondering if I can get input on how it feels
I have Exedy clutch and ACT flywheel. feels great! It definitely got heavier to press.. ALOT heavier.. but it's still DD manageable. my girl was able to drive the car around, but she doesn't like to drive it anymore because of that.

you can notice the rpm drop a little faster with the lighter flywheel.. clutch engage smoother and more precise.

2 issues:
1) a new clutch and new flywheel together = 1 tough break in..
2) you WILL need to get a clutch master cylinder.. you can choose on the brand/$$$. I went with SSP and it's great. My CMC snapped in the middle of the freeway. I ended up sitting in the middle lane with cars going 80+ around me. get it together with the clutch for cheaper installation price
Old Jul 1, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Your intake and turbo back exhaust will cause you to need a tune. Might be good to pick up a Cobb AP after and use that for your tune till your ready for a pro-tune. That should be good for you till you get everything and want to pro tune it, and even then you can use that to store your tune if you ever want to switch them up(performance, eco, ect.)