Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

hitch design for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hitch design for Evo X

There are two ways that I've seen hitches installed on Evo Xs: either the receiver points back (as usual) and is directly behind the rear plate so it's hidden when not in use or the receiver points down and uses a draw-bar that is U-shaped such that it curls back up to be in directly in front of the plate.

If you were considering getting a hitch for your X, which would you prefer. The advantage to the first design is that a standard draw-bar can be used. The advantage of the latter is that you don't have to move your plate when towing.

Note: please don't use this thread to argue about warranties and/or whether it even makes sense to tow a tire-trailer with an X. We had that discussion before and elsewhere. This thread is really for people to say which design (or a third, if you have one) that you prefer and why. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My choice would be a u shaped draw bar. I tried to find a good way to mount a flip down plate mount used on the 70's gm cars with the gas fillers behind the plates. I couldn't find a good way to make it work.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

There is a good way to do a flip-down or -up plate, if that's important to you for the behind-the-plate design. You use a piano-hinge. But note that it's not legal to drive with the plate mounted in such a way that it cannot be read easily, which is what will happen. So, in reality, if you like the behind-the-plate design, you really have to move the plate when using the hitch.

I'm not ragging on you in any way. This is actually, for me, the greatest advantage to the pointing-down with U-shaped draw-bar. I don't see any good place for the plate when the hitch is in use, so I'd rather not move the plate at all.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

I really like NICEKYO's idea. Only works with single exhaust (I think)
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

The guys that make that hitch are rather close to me. (They're over in Ankeny.) It's the best example of the U-shaped draw-bar design that I've seen for an X. They say it won't work with the OE exhaust, but you don't have to run a single. Instead, the problem is that the receiver will hit the OE muffler. If they had used a 1 1/4" receiver and U-shaped bar, instead of the 2" receiver and L-shaped adapter, it would have worked with an OE muffler. So the plan for this design is very similar to what's in those pictures. Besides using the smaller receiver, the other change is to use L-brackets for the ends, to get more and better bolt placements. You see, I'd not only like to be able to tow a tire-trailer, but also mount the new tow-hook on the hitch.

Note: if those picture are confusing, it's because they have the adapter in backwards in the second picture. The adapter should point in the opposite direction from the tabs on the hitch.

Last edited by Iowa999; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:43 PM

does anyone have pictures of these hitches? I do a lot of mountain biking and have a hitch rack I would rather get this than a roof rack.(sorry I couldnt see the pics ^^ but now I can)
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:58 PM

I just instaled this dual exhaust from ARK design and I think that hitch would def work thanks for this thread.
[/IMG]
Old Aug 3, 2012, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Personally, I would not use a downward-facing receiver and U- or L-shaped adapter for a bike rack. It's just too many things that each add wiggle. I would go with a back-facing receiver that's hidden by the plate for that purpose. Alternatively, I saw an X with a modified trunk-type bike rack somewhere near Chicago. That might be the best route of all. You see, once there's a hitch on the car, kiss warranty claims goodbye, even if you whine and scream that you only used it for a bike-rack. I wouldn't get involved in all that just for a simple bike-rack. But YMMV.

edit: and, yes, any exhaust that has no massive muffler should work with the TMS hitch. I'd still ask that they make it with a 1 1/4" receiver and run the draw-bar that Draw-Tite calls "Invisi-Hitch." I'm just not liking the larger receiver and adapter on that set-up.

edit2: the name of the company in Ankeny is TMF, not TMS. Here's their site: http://tmfmotorsports.com/tmf_products

Last edited by Iowa999; Aug 3, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 08:27 AM

thanks Iowa999 but wont the hitch wiggle when your towing as well? also does anyone have a picture of the hitch that goes behind the license plate?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Wiggle in the receiver-drawbar connection is much less of an issue for towing than for bike-racks or those silly shelfs.

But after thinking about it, any good fabricator could make you a U-shaped bike-rack gizmo that was tight enough to be OK.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:17 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Anyone running a hitch on their X? I would love to have one!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:25 PM

Nice exaust
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:24 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Any news on an available hitch?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:10 PM

I just tried to order the TMF hitch but no luck. Did this company go out of business or somthing?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:24 PM

Does anyone have pics of what AMS did? I heard they basically replaced the rear crash bar and put a receiver in it. Would love pics so I can attempt to build one myself or have a shop do it.

=Jason-

Quick Reply: hitch design for Evo X