Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Helmet Selection Autocross + Motorcycle?

Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helmet Selection Autocross + Motorcycle?

Hey everybody.

I'm looking for some helmet suggestions. I need something that will work for autocross and while riding motorcycles with my friend.

Will most helmets work for both in-car and motorcycles? Do I need separate helmets? I guess there are certain ratings that must be adhered to, also. But, I'm a complete noob.

Please help.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by joescars
Hey everybody.

I'm looking for some helmet suggestions. I need something that will work for autocross and while riding motorcycles with my friend.

Will most helmets work for both in-car and motorcycles? Do I need separate helmets? I guess there are certain ratings that must be adhered to, also. But, I'm a complete noob.

Please help.

Hi there. Technically the difference between an SA (special auto) and M (motorcycle) helmet rating from the Snell foundation is that the SA helmets have to be tested for fire retardation which is likely to be a condition in a car crash not a motorcycle accident. so get one with the latest SA rating you can find. They are good for 10 years from the SA date. So if it says SA2005 they are certified up to 2015.

The only thing is that I believe Snell helmets are also DOT approved by default but your average DOT helmet will probably not be Snell compliant.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:34 AM

^ what he said, plus to autocross you must have a snell helmet that's not expired. Smaller clubs don't require snell helmets so check. Riding a motorcycle just requires a DOT approved helmet and anything that's snell approved is also DOT approved.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

^ sometimes you get closeout deals because the helmets are only a couple of years away from expiring instead of the full 10 year certification period.

You might get a great helmet at a really good price this way.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The real trick to getting an autocross helmet when you own an Evo X is finding one that is tight to your head in the back, because of the headrest. Good luck with that.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
The real trick to getting an autocross helmet when you own an Evo X is finding one that is tight to your head in the back, because of the headrest. Good luck with that.
Had exactly this issue. I got a Simpson as it was the best I could find both for sitting against the seat as well as overall fit on my head.

The others are correct though, find a Snell 2010 and you'll be fine on your motorcycle.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try them on in the X for fit, definitely.