Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Can I Mod and Still Keep My Warranty Intact?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laz
Oh I know, but the Evo X still flatlines at 4k RPMs stock. It doesn't feel fast, even if it's a fast car.
Ah i get ya kind of like the WRX, cause they dont feel fast at all, when i test drove one i thought wow, my old RSX and current TC feel faster than this on take off, but once was threw the lag then it showed me why. So i'm guess with 291 crank hp, there is prob like a 45% drop off to each of the 4 wheels in for the whp?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MistuEvoXMR
Ah i get ya kind of like the WRX, cause they dont feel fast at all, when i test drove one i thought wow, my old RSX and current TC feel faster than this on take off, but once was threw the lag then it showed me why. So i'm guess with 291 crank hp, there is prob like a 45% drop off to each of the 4 wheels in for the whp?
45% drivetrain loss? No. It's like 12-17%
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Johnr352
It's a multi part answer with technical, ethical and subjective elements:
- the answer is yes, to the extent that changes to the car don't affect the performance of parts under warranty. There are a number of laws you can review in addition to your warranty language itself. An air freshener is, for example, a mod for which you can rest easy knowing it won't affect the car's warranty
- the answer is no, to the extent that the changes do affect parts or related parts such that they are subject to increased wear or likelihood of failure. So, modifications to your motor that increase torque such that your clutch wears prematurely, or you put on an intake or tune that works the engine components harder, you void the warranty on those parts. Obviously, if you remove those parts after something breaks in a fraudulent attempt to pretend you haven''t voided the warranty you have a moral and (possibly) legal issue.
- the answer is maybe - in that the dealership can apply some discretion and subjectivity as to how they interpret an affect certain modifications may have had on parts or related parts. So, they might say your intake and cams had no affect on your rod failure, or they might say, of course, they did and thus choose or not to cover certain repairs.

There is only one true axiom you can rely upon in connection to your concerns over warranty coverage.

"You have to pay to play" and to expect anything else is foolish.
John mentioned the ethics of it too. That part is really important. If you know your upgraded muffler-bearing is not causing your leaking blinker-fluid, don't be afraid to stand up to a dealer that is looking at your car in the parking lot and telling you there's nothing they can do for you in coverage.

But if you've been out doing snow-donuts for 4 hours and your AYC pump blows, man-up and accept the cost of having a fun hobby.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Telling people on a car-related web-site to be ethical WRT warranty work is like telling the women on **** sites to put their clothes back on. I'm not saying that you're wrong (in fact, I wholeheartedly agree), but it's a case of preaching to the choir three hours after the service has ended and they're at home watching football.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:24 PM

My wife agreed to buying a new Evo X, under the one condition, that it stays 100% stock. Her car, her rules.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Telling people on a car-related web-site to be ethical WRT warranty work is like telling the women on **** sites to put their clothes back on. I'm not saying that you're wrong (in fact, I wholeheartedly agree), but it's a case of preaching to the choir three hours after the service has ended and they're at home watching football.

Agreed, though I'm hoping that not everyone is watching football.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
A local guy had one of his cams break and he had intake, TBE, EBCS and tune.

The local dealer took care of him without hassles. So really, "it all depends on the dealership".
of course it depends on the dealers. the point ryn and i are trying to make is that generally speaking, its a no. plus, thats one guy you know of. i know many more people who's been denied warranty work just because the car had an intake or exhaust. why?? because they have the legal grounds to do so.

say 10 evo owners with various mods go in for warranty work. all 10 of these evo owners are at the mercy of the dealerships because technically speaking, you void your warranty every time a part is changed with aftermarket parts. we have no grounds to dispute the refusal. now, if they try to blame your intake for your transmission imploding, then yes, you may have some grounds to dispute but you just made it that much more difficult to claim the damage on your warranty.

i live in s. california where we have about a handful of mitsu dealers (in a 50 mile radius of my location). the ONLY dealer that would even look at my car (it has a testpipe) is huntington mitsu (where smashing happens). even huntington mitsu told me, they're at the mercy of their regional rep. sometimes they get lucky and is given the green light and other times, they can't.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImEv0
...because technically speaking, you void your warranty every time a part is changed with aftermarket parts...
Forgive, but you are a regional rep's wet dream, both for what you seem to believe and for saying it in public.

You really, really, really need to learn what the federal law is regarding warranty denials.

Here's a half-way decent place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

ps. if you actually understand warranties and just express yourself poorly in writing, apologies for reaming you for the wrong thing.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgive, but you are a regional rep's wet dream, both for what you seem to believe and for saying it in public.

ps. if you actually understand warranties and just express yourself poorly in writing, apologies for reaming you for the wrong thing.
This comment is, truly, one of the funniest I've read in a very long time. Hat's off
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

You really, really, really need to learn what the federal law is regarding warranty denials.

Here's a half-way decent place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

my bad. what i meant to say was, when you change/upgrade a part on your car, that part of your warranty is void.

no worries. i'm not from the US originally so sometimes, i can't transfer my thoughts in writing correctly.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. Thanks for rolling with it.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Well, some where out there is someone whom just bought their X and is thinking of modding, and the ethics schpeil might take hold before they go out think about bolting a dry-nitrous kit up to their car.

Oh at least I can hope. I myself took advantage of buying up to the 100k warranty with Mitsu, yet you can see in my mods *most* dealers would give a grim look at covering me. But to me, I bought the warranty for things like AC vents, window regulators, problems with FASTkey and the AYC pump. Obviously a little aspiration mods and a tune isn't going to cause my AYC pump to seize or something. So, I believe the balance of ethics and warranty wtih mods can go hand in hand.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImEv0
of course it depends on the dealers. the point ryn and i are trying to make is that generally speaking, its a no. plus, thats one guy you know of. i know many more people who's been denied warranty work just because the car had an intake or exhaust. why?? because they have the legal grounds to do so.

say 10 evo owners with various mods go in for warranty work. all 10 of these evo owners are at the mercy of the dealerships because technically speaking, you void your warranty every time a part is changed with aftermarket parts. we have no grounds to dispute the refusal. now, if they try to blame your intake for your transmission imploding, then yes, you may have some grounds to dispute but you just made it that much more difficult to claim the damage on your warranty.

i live in s. california where we have about a handful of mitsu dealers (in a 50 mile radius of my location). the ONLY dealer that would even look at my car (it has a testpipe) is huntington mitsu (where smashing happens). even huntington mitsu told me, they're at the mercy of their regional rep. sometimes they get lucky and is given the green light and other times, they can't.
Trust me, when the dealership realized it was something that was happening from the engine, they were leary about how it could go. They had him swap his cat-converter on to the car just in case it had to go through a regional rep. This was how bad it was, but they covered it, and his rental car while the car was down.

Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
Trust me, when the dealership realized it was something that was happening from the engine, they were leary about how it could go. They had him swap his cat-converter on to the car just in case it had to go through a regional rep. This was how bad it was, but they covered it, and his rental car while the car was down.

damn, and his rental too?? doesn't sound like to me.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Like I said, all depends on the dealer. My local dealer really appears to be a superstar among Mitsu dealers

Quick Reply: Can I Mod and Still Keep My Warranty Intact?